Re: Defend your most controversial film opinion.

Jimmy B wrote:

And then Saniss turns the card round which now reads 'help' before a huge boulder falls on his head. Will Saniss ever catch that fucking Road Runner?

And, yeah, Trey wins big_smile

Wish granted:
http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s671/Erich_Longpre/XySG0DK_zpse24bf380.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Don't worry. I'm at the Winchester, having a nice cold pint and waiting for all of this to blow over.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Loving the sweatshirt, actually

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Hoody is a bit outdated, though

Last edited by Jimmy B (2013-10-14 22:57:31)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey, feel free to send me the new one. My birthday was a month ago! big_smile

Last edited by Saniss (2013-10-14 22:59:49)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My birthday was 3 days ago, where's my present? tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://oi45.tinypic.com/m92eq9.jpg

"To Spork you listen."  - Trey Stokes

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

http://thebiscuit.org/toothbrushedit/Picture5.jpg

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

http://i.qkme.me/3rufw0.jpg

Also, I plan on recording and defending my MOST controversial opinion (of this year) tonight or tomorrow. Finally got a mic.

So, rerail in about 24 to 48 hours.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In the meantime, http://pressenter.phispace.net/Photos/WP_20131014_20_49_32_Pro.jpg

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

We need a whole thread just for this.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

Wait, wait, I got one too.

http://i.imgur.com/XySG0DK.jpg

Sorry, I didn't have any frogs.

Dude!! How did you get David Tennant to pose for a picture in a DIF hoodie?

And he's a fan of Shaun Of The Dead? Too cool!   wink

Buenos Tardis   

Flickr     Letterboxd

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Ok, a couple of days I said I would withhold my most controversial opinion in anticipation of recording and releasing of my podcast about it. Well, thanks to Teague, I have been working with different applications to make the recording less, well, sucky. So, slight delay in the recording, so I will outline the opinion here, with going in to all the details because, that would be a wall of text. Also, spoilers. Fair warning  smile

I don't think Star Trek Into Darkness is a terrible film. I don't think it is a perfect film, by any measure, but it strikes a chord, in me anyway, that is more reminiscent of the Original Series, than many of the other Trek films. It has got a lot of reviews and opinions and dismissal as hack, shallow and an aping of Wrath of Khan. Yes, I know, it has scenes taken directly from Wrath of Khan and I think that is why the parallels are immediately drawn as well as the villain.

Ok, my quick rundown of the strengths of the film and why it works for me.

First, the theme is strong, running through the entire film, as it explores different aspects of the darker aspects of humanity, as well as responses to tragedies and terrorism. The film doesn't shy away from the fact that Harrison's attack is a terrorist attack, and the use of automated weapons to kill a Federation citizen without a trial. It also doesn’t shy away from the fact that Kirk and Spock are not perfect. It doesn’t  just leave us with the idea that the crew is all together now and things are perfect. It actually builds the theme from the idea that humans are flawed and can either get better or worse.

For those unaware, close to the time that this film was released, a Senator in the US Senate performed a filibuster expressly to prohibit the use of drones by the President of the United States to execute American citizens without trial. There is more to it than that brief summary, but suffice to say, it was an interesting social commentary and debate presented in the film.

Secondly, the characters are what drive this film forward. It was a bit of a surprise to me that the film took place so soon after Trek 09, only one year after that. Yet, it is interesting, that in all of the fan fervor over Kirk being promoted too fast, the writers actually engaged that point and presented him as a captain who wasn't quite ready. Kirk's character arc is among the more interesting to me because he literally starts out as a fairly selfish human being. He has no scruples breaking the rules because, to him, those rules are not important. He has no problem breaking the Prime Directive to save Spock because that is just a rule and a rule is not as important as him keeping his crew safe and looking good while he does it. It all reflects back on him.

Spock is a lesson in contrast to Kirk's point of view, being more selfless, but not recognizing the impact of his selflessness upon others, especially Uhura, until later in the film. Spock is the less the Mr. Spock that fans would know from the series, and more of a younger Spock, who struggles to keep his emotions in check, who's loyalty and duty to Starfleet sometimes succeeds other influences. He exists in conflict with Kirk, because Kirk will lie while Spock will not. Spock will follow the rules, almost to a fault.

Unfortunately, the other characters do not get the same level of character arc as the others, but do serve as a commentary for and against Kirk and his decision making. The only other characters that are explored with any depth are the villains: Admiral Marcus and John Harrison/Khan. Marcus is presented in sharp contrast to Admiral Pike, and actually usurps Pike (after Pike's death) as Kirk's role mentor, if even for a time.

Marcus' character is fascinating to me, as a Star Trek fan, in terms that he really plays on an idea that has been explored in Deep Space 9: Section 31. Very much the "Black Ops" of Starfleet, they represent the very dark and, almost primal, response to survival of the Federation. For Marcus, the very subtle maneuvering of his position against Khan is an interesting political twists and turns that are probably not quite as obvious. Marcus was obviously aware of who Harrison/Khan really was and helped create the false identity so he could operate within Section 31. Then, much like an agent who knows to much, Khan was burned, only to begin his own contingency of overthrowing Marcus and dominating Earth.

I could spend a lot of time on the characters, but that will take up a lot of more space than I really feel you all will want to read through. To sum up, Khan is not the same Khan as in Wrath of Khan, simply because this Khan has had the opportunity to acclimate and plan for the new world he has found himself in. To me, this makes this Khan all the more villainous, not because of his motivations, but because of his capability. He has become more dangerous by virtue of the fact that he knows the world, and has no qualms in dominating it again. Yes, he wants to visit his revenge on Marcus, and he does, but more to his goal, is the simple fact that he still believes he is superior and should rule. All of the weapons he helps Section 31 build are really his tools for domination. To me, this layering of plans within plans, wheels within wheels, is far more interesting, and gives me more to think, about Khan’s plans and his schemes, even without overt description in the film itself.

I spent more time on characters simply because, for me, they drove the story forward far more than some of the other plot points. A quick example, the space jump with Kirk and Khan is a silly action scene and pure fan service, as is the Enterprise underwater. As Scotty points out, it is totally ridiculous, but it is not offensive so much as it is pointless. I feel more time could have been devoted to the plots and machinations of Marcus and Khan, as well as time with the rest of crew.

Like I said, this isn’t a perfect movie. The science is bad, the action pieces are sometimes either gratuitous, e.g. the Enterprise under water.  The moments were it shines is where the movie focuses on characters, the fact that they are flawed, damaged, human beings (or half-human in some cases) who are growing and learning together.

That is a quick, hopefully not overwhelming wall of text. There is more to say but I will not be saying it right now.

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I can't decide if my most controversial opinion is that Ang Lee's Hulk is a work of art, or that the Transformers: Dark of the Moon is.
The latter, you have to ignore most of the first act of the film, whereas Hulk I enjoy start to finish.

And I think Zack Snyder will be later recognized as a formidable auteur of our era.

I choose Hulk.
Because it's the easiest to defend and also because it gets so much crap and I don't get why. It's a great drama that gives a full understanding of our hero, where he comes from, who he is and where he's headed. It tells a complete arc instead of holding out for a sequel (even though it does lead into one). It's all high caliber actors giving exceptional performances and the movie has more style than most generic origin stories that have been pumped out by the studios combined.

It's unique, it's interesting, compelling and exciting. Good drama, cool action, dynamic cinematography and great actors. Why don't people like this movie?!

Last edited by Vapes (2013-10-20 05:09:14)

"Defending bad movies is VaporTrail's religion."
-DorkmanScott

I think ultimately the real problem with HULK is the ending, where the film dissolves into abstraction to the point of incoherence. Had the ending been more satisfying I think ten years on people would have revised their opinion of the film, given time to remove themselves from their expectations and appreciate it for what it is, but unfortunately it's a film with a lot of ambition that simply fails to deliver.

I have come to appreciate the film in its failure, though, because it failed ambitiously. I'd rather see more films that bite off more than they can chew than films which fail because they aim for inoffensive mediocrity.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hulk Poodles. I rest my case.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh right. Those too.

EDIT: Oh, I've got a controversial opinion that I've just recently been reminded of: Richard Harris' portrayal of Dumbledore was not any better than Gambon's. He was clearly disinterested and phoning it in.

Last edited by Dorkman (2013-10-20 07:13:15)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Gamma Dogs are in the comics. Your argument is irrelevant.
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_large/0/4/41455-6558-46833-1-incredible-hulk.jpg

tongue
Okay, so it looks like the choice to go poodle was mostly Ang Lee, but come on. Experimentation on animals. It's a reasonable outcome. I also think the point of having three such distinguishable breeds was due to the dark scene they were featured in, it'd have been more difficult to follow if they'd been similar in appearance.  That's just a theory, though.

"Inoffensive mediocrity" is a good term to describe my problem with the weaker films of the genre. As always, I'm looking at you, Green Lantern. And Wolverine. And Ghost Rider.

MOVING ON.
Being only a very casual Potter fan, I sometimes overlook that there even are two Dumbledores. As far as replacement actors go, they got pretty close. I've never thought too highly of the performances for any of the cast, particularly in the first 3-4 films, so I suppose Dumbledore's no exception.
However, Deathly Hallows are the only two I keep in my collection, if that's any indication of how much weight you should carry from my Potter opinions.

Last edited by Vapes (2013-10-20 08:24:09)

"Defending bad movies is VaporTrail's religion."
-DorkmanScott

sellew wrote:

3.  Dollhouse is a terrific show whose critical reappraisal is already overdue.  Just about the only major gripe that's out there that I'll accept is that Season 2 is kind of rushed, and the time spent on various people/arcs doesn't feel quite allocated correctly.  (Too much at the beginning of the season, not enough at the end.)

I think the "Doll of the Week" stuff at the beginning of Season 1 works, because it allows you to get comfortable with the universe, and parcels out bits of information (including hints of the gradual "awakening" of Echo) that then start coming together as the season progresses.  People who say that Eliza Dushku is weak or that early on you can't establish a rapport with the main character because she's changing personalities are missing the point.  It's more at the early stage of having a rapport with or empathy for the situation, for precisely that reason, and I think Eliza Dushku actually does a really good job with the little moments that she has to work with.

I'm thinking of like that bit in one of the first episodes where she's coming back from a "romantic engagement" and talking about it with her handler -- how she normally doesn't go for XYZ type of guy (I think she says he's fat), but this guy was really sweet and she really likes him and wants to tell him how she feels, but she's nervous, etc. On the one hand, of course she's been 'programmed' to feel that way, but Eliza Dushku does a really good job of making it feel real. And so, when you hear the line "Are you ready for your treatment", it's kind of sad in a Roy Batty "all these moments will be lost in time" sort of way. It doesn't matter that on one level it was 'engineered'. It's a happy moment in her life and it's going to be taken away from her.

The rest of the acting is uniformly excellent, the twists and turns are generally great, and it actually makes an effort to be about something.  If this were shot in black-and-white, and in French, and shown in art-house theaters in the mid 1960's, people would be all over it.

Ok.

Dollhouse is a brilliant concept for a show, but your defense of Eliza Dushku is off base. She's simply never shown a range to her acting required for that part. She's clearly more comfortable playing a particular type of character (and every person reading this knows immediately what character), and the rest are all weak. She has decent moments, sure, but that's like saying a broken clock is right twice a day.

Also, and maybe this is my "controversial opinion", but Tahmoh Penikett has never impressed me. He's always so stiff and unnatural. I thought he was generic in BSG, uninteresting in Dollhouse, and between him and Dushku, you now have 2 main characters who simply couldn't carry a show.

Basically you needed 2 very strong actors that could make Echo and Ballard interesting and engrossing despite the situations they were in, and they picked two actors that, while very good at certain things, just weren't able to pull off what they needed to in order to live up to the concept.

Frustratingly, the rest of the cast was excellent. Enver Gjokaj, Dichen Lachman, Olivia Williams, Harry Lennix, Amy Acker...all did a fantastic job bringing something special and interesting to their characters. Even and Fran Kranz, who isn't really known for playing a wide range of characters, still made his character worth an emotional investment.

As I said, I enjoyed it and don't think it's as bad as some make it out to be...but I really feel that if they had gotten 2 actors better suited to carry the lead roles, Dollhouse would have been much better and lasted much longer.

On the flip side...I do have a "wish" about Dollhouse:

Show
Near the end of the show, when Echo jacks into the main computer or whatever in the Attic, she's running around in a small/dark dress and fighting things...I realized -- Echo is TOTALLY River Tam! Sent away to a "special school" where she is turned into a weapon, via brain wiping and having her "learn" in this fantasy world set in the past. Part of me wishes that the end of Dollhouse was actually Simon Tam breaking in and saving Echo/River.

Rewatch the last few non-future episodes, and it totally makes sense. :-P

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

Oh right. Those too.

EDIT: Oh, I've got a controversial opinion that I've just recently been reminded of: Richard Harris' portrayal of Dumbledore was not any better than Gambon's. He was clearly disinterested and phoning it in.

I hate to be Mr. Grammar Guy, but "disinterested" means not having a vested interest in the proceedings. That is, being impartial.

The word you want is "dying". :-(

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I still don't understand their thought process for Dumbledore, he is supposed to be weary soul yes, but he's also supposed to be really lighthearted at times, a kidder. But through the entire series he is just slow and out of breath and dull. [Among the countless other disappointments] that really disappointed me.

So I'm not going to defend it because I don't got time for all THAT SHIT right now, but one of my pretty controversial film opinions: I HATE the Harry Potter films, like outright loathing level shit here for almost everything they do. At almost every single choice it was like they looked at the book and thought "Sure it's good but how do we make it horrible".

One of these days I'll get around to doing my full SFDebris style rant about the HP movies. One day.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-10-20 15:45:19)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Dorkman wrote:

Oh, I've got a controversial opinion that I've just recently been reminded of: Richard Harris' portrayal of Dumbledore was not any better than Gambon's. He was clearly disinterested and phoning it in.

YES. I'm so sick of people shitting on Gambon for daring to bring an ounce of emotion or complexity to the character. People get all upset that he yells at Harry in Goblet of Fire, when Harris barely raised his voice above a whisper, or brought anything to the character beyond "soft-spoken mentor figure." I'll take Gambon over Harris any day.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

I still don't understand their thought process for Dumbledore, he is supposed to be weary soul yes, but he's also supposed to be really lighthearted at times, a kidder. But through the entire series he is just slow and out of breath and dull. [Among the countless other disappointments] that really disappointed me.

So I'm not going to defend it because I don't got time for all THAT SHIT right now, but one of my pretty controversial film opinions: I HATE the Harry Potter films, like outright loathing level shit here for almost everything they do. At almost every single choice it was like they looked at the book and thought "Sure it's good but how do we make it horrible".

One of these days I'll get around to doing my full SFDebris style rant about the HP movies. One day.

I really want to hear this smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:
Dorkman wrote:

I hate to be Mr. Grammar Guy, but "disinterested" means not having a vested interest in the proceedings. That is, being impartial.

Not to get into a grammar-swinging contest or anything, but the Oxford English Dictionary actually gives precisely Dorkman's intended sense "without interest or concern; not interested, unconcerned" as the first definition, with verified usages of the word with this meaning going back to John Donne in the 17th century.  It's behind a paywall, alas, but many modern dictionaries will also give something like this as a definition in addition to 'impartial', as usage is swinging towards it. 

Here's a quick test for any wannabe grammar nazis, brought to you by the Department of People Who Live In Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Stones:

(1)  What does "begging the question" mean?

SPOILER Show
If you said "to demand that a question be raised", you fail.  It means "to engage in circular reasoning, to provide an argument which presupposes its conclusion"

(2)  What does "livid" mean?  Describe a person who is livid.
SPOILER Show
If anything like 'flushed' or 'red' appeared in your description, you lose.  The first definition in the OED is 'a bluish, leaden color, the color of a bruise'.  'Red' is nowhere to be found in the entire entry.

(3) What does 'silly' mean?
SPOILER Show
It means 'rustic' or 'unsophisticated', or at least it did until the end of the 18th century.  Is that of any relevance to anything?

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

sellew wrote:
Zarban wrote:
Dorkman wrote:

Not to get into a grammar-swinging contest or anything, but the Oxford English Dictionary actually gives precisely Dorkman's intended sense "without interest or concern; not interested, unconcerned" as the first definition, with verified usages of the word with this meaning going back to John Donne in the 17th century.

He was kidding.

Dorkman: I find child beauty pageants to be depressing.

Zarban: Terribly sorry, but depressing means "causing misery or dejection," I think you meant "fucking ridiculous."

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down