Re: GRAVITY

Rob wrote:

With these box office numbers, is there any way for the public to know how many people have seen the film in 3-D and/or IMAX 3-D and how many have seen it in standard projection? Strictly curiosity on my part here.

Opening weekend, it made 80% of its gross from 3D screenings, and about 20% from IMAX, as per Variety. BoxOffice.com says that those figures have held pretty consistent for its entire run to date. That's crazy impressive, and it hasn't been seen since Avatar.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Raven wrote:
Rob wrote:

With these box office numbers, is there any way for the public to know how many people have seen the film in 3-D and/or IMAX 3-D and how many have seen it in standard projection? Strictly curiosity on my part here.

Mark me down for $12 for a 3-D showing.

Got it, 12 bucks for a 3-D screening. Okay, who else? Ya know, I think I might need a bigger pad of paper here, maybe a pencil sharpener... cool

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rob wrote:
Raven wrote:
Rob wrote:

Mark me down for $12 for a 3-D showing.

Got it, 12 bucks for a 3-D screening. Okay, who else? Ya know, I think I might need a bigger pad of paper here, maybe a pencil sharpener... cool

Like there was THAT many people who saw it in 3-D? Right wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How in the hell do you get into a 3D movie for 12 bucks?? That's a regular 2D in these parts. A 3D is like 16.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

How in the hell do you get into a 3D movie for 12 bucks?? That's a regular 2D in these parts. A 3D is like 16.

Um, 11 for 3D and 9 for 2D. A little less since I am a student...

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rob wrote:

I'm sure that information is somewhere...see DocSub's post.

I've seen it twice on IMAX 3D -- so that's $32 in ticket sales for me. I have standing "want to see it" plans with at least 2 more people, so that's at least one, possibly 2 more showings for me...though those will probably be either 2D or non-IMAX 3D showings.

I also brought 2 friends of mine (who were likely to see it anyways) to an IMAX 3D showing, so there's another $32. They likely would have seen it on a regular 2D screen if I hadn't pushed them, though.

Bullet3 wrote:

After this weekend it's at 280 globally, and hasn't even opened in China yet, where I predict it will be huge. I'll call it right now, I bet it ends up close to 500 mil when all is said and done, maybe even more.

BoxOfficeMojo has it already showing in Hong Kong, currently sitting at about $2 million. Is it intended to go wider in China, and if so...do you have any idea when?

I would love to see it reach up that high. The fact that it looks like it's going to clear $300 million worldwide is just ludicrous. There were already several categories I felt that it would carry when award season rolled around...but the fact that it's now not just a great "achievement" film, but also a surprise commercial success, I can imagine it could really rack up some mantle pieces.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Opening weekend, it made 80% of its gross from 3D screenings, and about 20% from IMAX, as per Variety. BoxOffice.com says that those figures have held pretty consistent for its entire run to date. That's crazy impressive, and it hasn't been seen since Avatar.

Huh...BoxOffice.com seems to have the production budget at ~$145 million, which is much higher than BoxOfficeMojo which lists ~$100 million. I had heard ~$80 million on multiple articles before it came out, and I expect a bit of discrepancy...but that's a pretty big spread.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

That's our regular price in somewhat small town (pop.-60k), Wisconsin.  Regular movies are $9.50 and 3-D is $12.00

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

deadline/hollywoodreporter have the budget as 100 mil, and I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

It opens in China on Nov 20'th: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s … -20-648892

For reference, China has 13000 screens (?!!!!!!), which would explain why every US movie desperately tries to break into that market. Avatar made over 200 mil just in China, so I think Gravity will do at least 100 there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

deadline/hollywoodreporter have the budget as 100 mil, and I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

It opens in China on Nov 20'th: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/s … -20-648892

For reference, China has 13000 screens (?!!!!!!), which would explain why every US movie desperately tries to break into that market. Avatar made over 200 mil just in China, so I think Gravity will do at least 100 there.

Yeah, that's now 3-4 places that hit around that $100 mil number, so you're right...that's probably as accurate as we're gonna get.

That China info -- wow.

I think Gravity has 1 more solid weekend in it before it fades. There's nothing coming out this coming weekend that seems poised to compete with it (The Counselor & a Jackass flick). However, the following weekend is Ender's Game and the weekend after that is Thor 2.

Gravity should break $200 million domestically though, which is more than I think anyone would have predicted. If China goes well (and I agree with you this seems like it would be received well there), it could propel it's worldwide take up over $400 million.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ender's Game is gonna take away most of its IMAX screens, not to mention 3D, so I agree with BBQ. I wonder if they'll do a targeted re-release around Oscar time. Get it back on some IMAX screens and back into the minds of the public.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ya, it kinda pisses me off cause I really wanna see it again in Imax, but I might not have time this weekend, which will basically be the last chance. I hate the short-ass release windows nowadays. And especially that it has to give away it's screens to junk like Ender's Game and Thor, 2 releases I couldn't care less about if I tried.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is all making the fact my sister thought it was pointless and stupid all the more amusing smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

This is all making the fact my sister thought it was pointless and stupid all the more amusing smile

She should not like more movies...that might be the secret smile

Also, bullet, the fact that Christopher Eccelston is in Thor 2 can't make you care? wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would like to point out the inconvenient and possibly legally actionable fact that Alfonso Cuaron seems to have lifted most of the plot of GRAVITY from a certain poster on this very forum more than 2 years ago....

http://friendsinyourhead.com/forum/view … 882#p11882

Yes, he left out the actual solar death ray because that would have been too obvious. It's also why his movie is so dumb and filled with boring character stuff instead of filled with awesome solar death ray destruction.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Re: it opening in China.

I'd put money down that someone deliberately changed the cause of the Kessler effect in the movie as a strike on a satellite by a Chinese missile (as happened in real life) to a Russian missile, just so that the movie was more consumable in that massive market.
(And also that their Tiangong station is actually up there and completed, though the film does takes place in a near future when the shuttles are still active beyond STS-135.)

Anyhow, nice review Dorkman.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Re: it opening in China.

I'd put money down that someone deliberately changed the cause of the Kessler effect in the movie as a strike on a satellite by a Chinese missile (as happened in real life) to a Russian missile, just so that the movie was more consumable in that massive market.
(And also that their Tiangong station is actually up there and completed, though the film does takes place in a near future when the shuttles are still active beyond STS-135.)

I think the use of Tiangong was just how the story was told -- not really done "for" Chinese audiences. Storytelling-wise, they needed a 3rd place to go, and Tiangong is the only option on the horizon to fit the universe being built (Near Future, STS-157).

I could see using the Russians rather than the Chinese for the missile strike as a way to not offend Chinese moviegoers, but also to avoid the label "political" being tied to the film in any way. Cuaron doesn't shy away from making statements with his films, but it's generally done more so via "theme" rather than singling out a particular country.

On that note...

Gravity opened to a record setting first 6 days in China -- grossing ~$35.5 million. It's expected to continue to do well, and with Japan getting it soon, it's estimated that it could clear a solid $400 mil on the foreign market. This means Gravity will almost certainly break the $650 million barrier worldwide...with a very slight, dark-horse chance at $700 million.

It was already going to land several Technical Achievement awards, but it's almost out-of-nowhere commercial success makes me think Gravity and 12 Years a Slave are going to dominate award season across the board this year.

That would make me happy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Quick bump mention to summarize Gravity's commercial success, which appears to virtually tapped out at the box offices...

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=gravity.htm

Gravity has made a little more than $250 million in the US, and a shade over $650 million worldwide ($70 mil in China alone). It's production budget was approximately $100 million.

This places Gravity 3rd all time in the "disaster" movie category, only trailing Titanic & Independence Day.

It broke the top 100 of All Time Domestic (75) and could slide up a couple of spots when it finally gets pulled completely out of theaters. It's up to 69 All-Time Worldwide in large part to it's strong showing in China.

It absolutely crushed all other Original Science Fiction this year, making 150% more than 2nd place (Pacific Rim) while costing less than any of the other options out there - which also included Oblivion, After Earth, and Elysium.

I'm hoping for a re-release in IMAX once we get closer to award season...

Last edited by BBQ (2013-12-23 20:34:22)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

10 more mil and it out-grosses Man of Steel worldwide

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some behind the scenes...

For some reason the embed isn't working.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https, usually. I backspace the s.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down