Thanks folks, I'll be here all week!

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Vertigo

http://www.webwombat.com.au/entertainment/music/images/u2-vertigo-tour-1.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Yeah and I don't think God exists either......

Oh, wait tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Here we go - vertigo
Video vertigo
Test for echo

Here we go - in slo-mo
Video vertigo
Test for echo
Test for echo
-RUSH, "Test For Echo"

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6333667328/hBFBA7BFA/

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have Acrophobia.

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Friedkin talks Hitchcock, Vertigo and film school:

Last edited by Xtroid (2013-10-15 06:28:48)

thewalkindude00 wrote:

Others to check out are rear window, north by northwest,  and the birds.

My personal favourites. In that order too smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some of the stuff he did for his TV series is terrific. There's an episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents called "Bang, You're Dead" that is probably the purest example of what he was about as a filmmaker.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also watch Rope, Rope is fun. Folks who know better than me please correct me, but I believe that had the longest continuous takes until we hit the 90s, right? It goes for like 20 minutes at a time without cutting, right? Directors had done extended takes since the very early days, but pretty sure that was the first time someone tried to push it that far (though it is a bit silly at times with the way it tries to hide the cuts)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rope also has Farley Granger and features a pretty overt (for 1948) depiction of a gay couple (a murderous gay couple loosely based on Leopold & Loeb).

I think the longest continuous shot was something like 10 minutes, with Hitchcock disguising cuts to make the takes appear longer.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, 10 minutes is about the max size for a single roll of movie film.  So that's the limit for a real-time take if you're shooting film.

Finally, I'm not alone in my dislike of Vertigo. Sure, it looks FANTASTIC, but I couldn't be more bored and less interested.

Trey, I think you and I should get together and go bowling. smile

P.S. Psycho is my absolute favorite Hitchcock film, followed closely by Rear Window.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hitchcock did not actually do anything on the TV series, iirc, apart from filming the intros. Similarly, he had nothing to do with my favorite Hitchcock creation: The Three Investigators.

http://3investigators.homestead.com/files/terrorcov2.jpg

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, all those books with his name on them just had his name on them — something I didn't know when I read them as a kid. I presumed he somehow collaborated with the authors. I was in college when I finally read a Hitch biography, which informed me that he didn't select the stories in the anthologies, nor did he tend to write the prefaces that appeared under his name. It was basically product endorsement, like Michael Jordan's image on the Gatorade bottle.

The TV series was slightly different. Lots of other directors worked on the shows (including a young Friedkin, who recounts in his memoir how he was admonished by Hitchcock for not wearing a tie on set), but Hitchcock himself did produce and direct a number of episodes. His intros are priceless.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This movie is only boring if you don't get on board with the characters like right away. Which I guess Trey didn't, and there's nothing wrong with that. But once you're invested in Scottie's story, you're willing to watch 15 dialogue-less minutes of him driving around town.

Also, you guys didn't discuss the alternate ending, which is an interesting story.

Apparently the studio wanted to make it clear that the bad guy didn't get away with it, so they made Hitchcock film this ending to stick onto the tail of the film. Didn't make the final cut, though. I've also heard of some overseas cuts that make Judy's death much more vague.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My favorite Hitchcock film that isn't Rope, Birds, Psycho, or Rear Window is easily The Wrong Man. It's gripping, true, and has the most unusual opening of any Hitch film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sans Soleil wrote:

He wrote me that only one film had been capable of portraying impossible memory—insane memory: Alfred Hitchcock's Vertigo. In the spiral of the titles he saw time covering a field ever wider as it moved away, a cyclone whose present moment contains motionless the eye.

In San Francisco he had made his pilgrimage to all the film's locations: the florist Podesta Baldocchi, where James Stewart spies on Kim Novak—he the hunter, she the prey. Or was it the other way around? The tiles hadn't changed.

He had driven up and down the hills of San Francisco where Jimmy Stewart, Scotty, follows Kim Novak, Madeline. It seems to be a question of trailing, of enigma, of murder, but in truth it's a question of power and freedom, of melancholy and dazzlement, so carefully coded within the spiral that you could miss it, and not discover immediately that this vertigo of space in reality stands for the vertigo of time.

He had followed all the trails. Even to the cemetery at Mission Dolores where Madeline came to pray at the grave of a woman long since dead, whom she should not have known. He followed Madeline—as Scotty had done—to the Museum at the Legion of Honor, before the portrait of a dead woman she should not have known. And on the portrait, as in Madeline's hair, the spiral of time.

The small Victorian hotel where Madeline disappeared had disappeared itself; concrete had replaced it, at the corner of Eddy and Gough. On the other hand the sequoia cut was still in Muir Woods. On it Madeline traced the short distance between two of those concentric lines that measured the age of the tree and said, “Here I was born... and here I died.”

He remembered another film in which this passage was quoted. The sequoia was the one in the Jardin des plantes in Paris, and the hand pointed to a place outside the tree, outside of time.

The painted horse at San Juan Bautista, his eye that looked like Madeline's: Hitchcock had invented nothing, it was all there. He had run under the arches of the promenade in the mission as Madeline had run towards her death. Or was it hers?

From this fake tower—the only thing that Hitchcock had added—he imagined Scotty as time's fool of love, finding it impossible to live with memory without falsifying it. Inventing a double for Madeline in another dimension of time, a zone that would belong only to him and from which he could decipher the indecipherable story that had begun at Golden Gate when he had pulled Madeline out of San Francisco Bay, when he had saved her from death before casting her back to death. Or was it the other way around?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As an aside, Eddie and I probably have a stack of overlap in our movie collections.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We most assuredly do, sir.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Also, I completely understand why you would obsess over Kim Novak

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just love that Eddie has to defend Hitchcock from Trey and Brian. Maybe if it had more jump cuts, and some explosions it would be ok?

Last edited by Dave (2013-10-18 06:06:48)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down