Re: The 200th Episode 24-Hour Harry Potter Commentary Marathon

If Rowling really wanted to denigrate Ron, why did she make it clear that he matters more to Harry than Hermione does? And he's not dumb--Harry, in OOTP: "I'm better at Quidditch, but not at anything else."

Last edited by Abbie (2013-12-03 00:52:17)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:
Spork wrote:

How meaningful would Ron's loyalty be if it was never tested?

Testing is great. Failing that test twice demonstrates that his loyalty is not unwavering. How many times does a husband need to cheat on his wife before it's considered infidelity?

So let me get this straight, you hold a confused, conflicted, angry 17 year old's action up to the same measure as a fully grown man in a committed relationship?

Gods, I would hate to be your friend growing up, I don't go out for a movie one day when you ask and woops, bye bye, who needs you, out of your life forever.

He's human. More than that, he's a teenager in incredibly extraordinary circumstances. And you have got to admit, Hermione had to put up with WAY less bullshit (fame related, see previous posts) than Ron did, she never had any reason to want to leave, to be angry at Harry, to have their friendship tested and pushed every single day just  because of the sheer existence of your friend.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2013-12-03 00:58:30)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I don't hold Ron to any standard. I'm just clarifying the definition of "loyal".

I say he's a kind of lifeless character who is mainly there to make Harry look less stupid (he and Harry cheat off Hermione, and he got the worst grades of the three of them). But others claim that Ron's role is loyal friend despite the fact that he leaves Harry flat at two of the most important times of his life.

I agree that Ron's behavior is realistic and forgivable, and it makes him more interesting. But you can't look at the times he abandoned Harry and claim that his primary trait is loyalty. The best you can say about Ron is that Harry likes him and that's enough.

And I'll refer you to Harry's own views on excusing 17-year-olds for being immature regarding his father's behavior and Dumbledore's relationship with Grindelwald.

Last edited by Zarban (2013-12-03 01:38:33)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I'm with Zarban on this. In terms of loyalty, I'd postulate that Neville was much more loyal than Ron.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Withkittens wrote:

I'm with Zarban on this. In terms of loyalty, I'd postulate that Neville was much more loyal than Ron.

I love the moment in Goblet of Fire when Harry tries to hang out with Neville because Ron has left him and he's just bored with Neville's nerdery. It says so much about Harry and Ron's relationship.

Let me be clear:

I like Ron just fine, but the books and movies would be better if he was more capable and had more to contribute.

I like Hermione just fine, but the books and movies would be better if Harry did more of the spellcasting (and she wasn't so much of a scold).

All this remins me of a certain trope.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

I agree that Ron's behavior is realistic and forgivable, and it makes him more interesting. But you can't look at the times he abandoned Harry and claim that his primary trait is loyalty. The best you can say about Ron is that Harry likes him and that's enough.

Well, first of all, two times in seven years hardly destroys that aspect of his personality. And again, the fact that he has disagreements with Harry only makes him a more complex character. It's certainly better than having him be 100% loyal all the time.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Well, first of all, two times in seven years hardly destroys that aspect of his personality. And again, the fact that he has disagreements with Harry only makes him a more complex character. It's certainly better than having him be 100% loyal all the time.

Yes. If I were going to change Ron, I probably wouldn't make him much more loyal. That's a role others assigned to him because they can't think of any other value he adds.

I've said I'd prefer him to be the Ron Weasley we met in Sorcerer's Stone: knowledgeable about the wizarding world and clever and courageous enough to beat the chess challenge. We lose that with Prisoner of Azkaban.

Last edited by Zarban (2013-12-03 01:43:19)

Zarban wrote:

Let me be clear:

I like Ron just fine, but the books and movies would be better if he was more capable and had more to contribute.

I like Hermione just fine, but the books and movies would be better if Harry did more of the spellcasting (and she wasn't so much of a scold).

Is there anyone who thinks Hermione would be romantically interested in Ron? At all? Maybe if the only two men left on earth were Harry's uncle and Ron, and Ron had a month's supply of Zolpidem, and a vibrating wand.

In the movies (I've never read the books), Ron was nothing more than the expendable sidekick for the hero. I kept waiting for his valiant sacrifice. Ron was plain to Hermione's perkiness, dim to Hermione's intelligence, damp and moody to Hermione's sassiness. It might have made sense in the books, but casted the way the movies were, their romantic involvement was unbelievable. Not that Harry and Ginevra had much chemistry either.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Welp, it's official.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

In the movies (I've never read the books), Ron was nothing more than the expendable sidekick for the hero. I kept waiting for his valiant sacrifice. Ron was plain to Hermione's perkiness, dim to Hermione's intelligence, damp and moody to Hermione's sassiness. It might have made sense in the books, but casted the way the movies were, their romantic involvement was unbelievable. Not that Harry and Ginevra had much chemistry either.

The relationship works far better in the books. As I've said previously, in my opinion the films shamelessly flanderized Ron to make Hermione look better.

As someone whose two favorite podcasts are WAYDM and the late MuggleCast, I cannot tell you how excited for this I am.

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/tumblr_lksfw3qZ6P1qbx95go1_500.gif

_____________________________________________________________________________________

A tangent that might be of interest: this may be the most lunatic, shouldn't-be-yet-is awesome HP fanfic ever written. NSFW.

Last edited by Abbie (2013-12-03 20:39:23)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A problem when casting child actors a decade before you realize there's going to be a romance between the characters.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OK, it looks like I'm going to be able to watch this at least part way. What's the exact schedule?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

OK, it looks like I'm going to be able to watch this at least part way. What's the exact schedule?

Don't know if you're looking for something more precise than this, but here ya go.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nope, that should do it. First I've seen that link, but then I haven't gone through this entire thread smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I want to high five who ever made that graphic. That's such a cool way to display that info.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Absolutely!

You guys are insane...

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That would be me.

Thanks man.  smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

AE shape layers per chance?

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Negative.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tone shift throughout the franchise...

Harry Potter 1: Scooby Doo
Harry Potter 2: Goonies
Harry Potter 3: Twilight
Harry Potter 4: Hunger Games
Harry Potter 5: Avengers Assemble
Harry Potter 6: Glee
Harry Potter 7: The Road
Harry Potter 8: Return of the Jedi/King

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You know, unless I'm missing something, the schedule doesn't list the time zone. Rather important for something like this...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pacific Time Zone  smile

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Well, yes, but you have to tell that to everyone coming to this from elsewhere. I just posted a promo for it, and realized anyone just following the link wouldn't know when it actually started.

Thumbs up Thumbs down