Re: Suggest an Episode

Morgan Freemans character made no sense.

SPOILER Show
Who would watch a show that explains how magic tricks are done? and why did he act like stage magicians are con men? In the world of the film do audiences believe that they are super human wizards?!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Um Faldor... I would like to introduce you to Penn and Teller.

/Ihavenoideaifthisrelatestothemoviebutitrelatestoyourfirstspoileredsentence

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Oh hey, the guys from Babylon 5

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Oh yeah, Penn & Teller. Everyone in the UK has heard of them. In fact, some of us grew up watching them on UK TV in the 90s because hardly anyone mainstream in the US would touch them. WE practically introduced them to the world. They still do shows over here these days too.

And BDA, that is not exactly what Faldor meant, if you watched the film, you would know smile

Last edited by Jimmy B (2013-11-02 19:45:52)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Have you guys ever considered doing a Capra film? It'd be quite the experience to hear you cynics discuss It's a Wonderful Life or Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A future Documentality episode? The Drew Struzan doc, Drew: The Man Behind The Poster coming to DVD and download on Tuesday, November 19th...

http://www.amazon.com/Drew-The-Man-Behi … the+poster

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

I'm very much aware of it.  Also planning a couple special guest interviews for at least two interviews.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think Elysium is coming out on DVD soon. My one and only regret is that I won't be on the couch for that episode. I would annihilate that movie with the unending fury of a thousand supernovas.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh god yes. Fuck that movie. I don't get how you spend 3 times as much as District 9 and end up with a smaller scale, more boring climax. I think an Oblivion and Elysium double feature might be in order to do the most underrated big-budget sci-fi of the year followed by the most overrated.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

True, it was one of the very few movies this year that I allowed myself to look forward to.  And there was so much about it that was great...

but....

sad_tennant

Lots of stuff coming out that needs doing. MAN OF STEEL and WORLD'S END just dropped too. We'll have a nice lineup post-Potter.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is The Dark Knight Rises included in that lineup? I'd be really curious to hear your guys' thoughts on how it holds up.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

As long as it doesn't turn into a Spiderman 2 style unanimous hatefest. I'll still take Rises over pretty much any Marvel movie, at least it looks like a real movie instead of animated concept art

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can quibble about the fridge stuff in between viewings, but in the three times I've watched it I've been engrossed every time. It's still no Dark Knight, but it blows Begins out of the water.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

As long as it doesn't turn into a Spiderman 2 style unanimous hatefest. I'll still take Rises over pretty much any Marvel movie, at least it looks like a real movie instead of animated concept art

Sure, it looks like a real movie. But the plot is convoluted and there's not a whole lot going on thematically beyond "Anyone can be a hero," which is a pretty simplistic theme to hang such a grand and epic film on.

And it's funny, because I wrote a GLOWING review a few days after seeing it. It took a while for me to realize that it's not as great as I thought it was coming out of the theater.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2013-11-19 01:03:37)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

there's not a whole lot going on thematically beyond "Anyone can be a hero," which is a pretty simplistic theme to hang such a grand and epic film on.

I'd argue that the best epics have simplistic themes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

When I first saw TDKR, I wasn't all that keen. But I have watched it a few times since and found it to hold up better each time.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

For me, I think I will always have a soft spot for Batman Begins, simply because I like the "becoming" aspects of Batman. Dark Knight is fantastic, for the most part, but I like seeing Bruce's struggle for identity in BB.

Also, while Heath Ledger's Joker is fantastic, I don't find his motivation all that compelling, while I find Rhas al Ghul's more interesting. Not to sound contrary, but I think BB has some good material in it and is often overshadowed simply because of Dark Knight.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm likely alone on this, but I think Rises is the best of the trilogy. For some reason that I've never quite been able to articulate, I found BB to have an underwhelming third act. The action on the train seems off and the plot seems a bit too implausible. Dark Knight seemed a little too self-indulgent and it suffers from being an obvious middle film (the ending isn't that great).

Come to think of it, I don't think any of the Batman films are that great.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

I'm likely alone on this, but I think Rises is the best of the trilogy. For some reason that I've never quite been able to articulate, I found BB to have an underwhelming third act. The action on the train seems off and the plot seems a bit too implausible. Dark Knight seemed a little too self-indulgent and it suffers from being an obvious middle film (the ending isn't that great).

Come to think of it, I don't think any of the Batman films are that great.

Holy heartbreak, Batman...

http://i.imgur.com/8kTkz.jpg

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

+1 for TDKR hatefest. tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I still don't understand how people can hate TDKR. It's fridge-logicy, sure, but so is Star Trek 2009 and everyone save Brian loves that one.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

Lots of stuff coming out that needs doing. MAN OF STEEL and WORLD'S END just dropped too. We'll have a nice lineup post-Potter.

So, are you guys just gonna skip over Hot Fuzz then? sad

I'm also a defender of TDKR. I feel those that dismiss the film for having its share of "fridge logic" forget the previous two films have quite a bit of it as well. Zarban and I discuss all of this in our commentaries for each film. I recommend you check them out, especially if you're not a big fan of the third film.

Having said that, I would like to hear the panel tackle this one, but I agree as to being worried of a Spider-Man 2 hatefest, which I feel isn't very constructive and misses out on a lot worth discussing.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:

Having said that, I would like to hear the panel tackle this one, but I agree as to being worried of a Spider-Man 2 hatefest, which I feel isn't very constructive and misses out on a lot worth discussing.

Well, if nothing else Dorkman likes it, or at least he did at the time he wrote his review, so it'll have at least one defender.

Last edited by Abbie (2013-11-20 22:29:47)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can we please let the hatefest of Now You See Me commence before we get into things that are debatable or at least have some redeeming aspects? I need a good old fashioned trashing of a universally despised piece of shit - although for some reason, NYSM made money.