Topic: Favorite BADASS lines / dialogue

I've been wanting to throw this topic out there for a while.

My friend is writing his dissertation on depictions of badassery in fiction. That got me thinking about how much I love badass lines.

So what's your favorite badass lines and/or dialogue from motion pictures?

Suggested Guidelines
* It can be famous or less well-known
* Quote it accurately (more or less)
* If you feel context matters, briefly explain
* Give us a pithy explanation of why you like it

(That last one might help keep things conversational rather than merely list-y.)

Urban Dictionary has a lot to say about what "badass" means. Abide by whatever it means to you. Search your heart.

http://www.badmofowallets.com/wallets/embrown.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Favorite BADASS lines / dialogue

Forgot to kick things off:

"Are you an assassin?"

"I'm a soldier."

"You're neither. You're an errand boy, sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill."

Apocalypse Now, Brando and Martin Sheen. I love how epic a diss that is, and how the exchange sums up both the characters and the story's central conflict. Legend has it that Brando, who was being a nightmare on set, is the one who came up with that errand boy/grocery clerks stuff. Which kind of amazing considering his general incoherence at that time.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

For me, nothing will ever beat Bruce Lee's (in reaction to Bob Wall breaking a board with a single punch before they fight)

Boards....don't hit back.

That said, the Watchmen comic had a line that successfully made it on screen.  Rorshack after melting a dude's face in prison says,

None of you seem to understand.  I'm not locked in here with you...YOU'RE LOCKED IN HERE WITH ME!

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I could come up with a solid dozen right now, but let's start with a more obscure one from one of my favorites, from the great Charles Bronson in the Elmore Leonard-written Mr.Majestyk.

"You make sounds like you're a mean little ass-kicker. Only I ain't convinced. You keep talking I'm gonna take your head off"

http://youtu.be/hTx_jDEnvxs?t=55s

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-11-07 22:47:44)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MacReady's response to the ultimate Thing roaring at him.

From V for Vendetta:
"The only thing you and I have in common, Mr. Creedy, is that we are both about to die...with my hands around your neck."
"Bollocks. We've swept every inch of this place. You've got nothing, nothing but your bloody knives and your fancy karate gimmicks. We've got guns!"
"No, what you have are bullets, and the hope that when you've used them all I'm no longer standing. Because if I am, you and your men will all be dead before you've reloaded."

I ultimately prefer Moore's less sympathetic, more psychotic V, but the film's V has just as many badass moments, and this one tops them all.

Also, I've always found this defiant monologue to be the most badass thing Tyler Durden ever said:
"You have to consider the possibility to that God doesn't like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, He hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen. We don't need Him! Fuck damnation, man, fuck redemption! We are God's unwanted children? So be it!"

Last edited by Abbie (2013-11-07 23:27:51)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Speaking of John Carpenter... They Live has a famous one:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I am all out of bubblegum.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I think a good rule to follow here is also to point out when lines and/or the context/reasons explained are of a spoiler-y nature.

If we're gonna go through the classics, let's not forget Jaws.

(spoiler: ending of the film)

"Smile, you son of a bitch!"

I think it particularly works because this badass line is delivered by a not-so-badass guy. Brody struggles with water throughout the film, and to see him saying that while surrounded by an infinity of it is awesome.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

If we're gonna go through the classics...

RoboCop comes to mind:
Dead or alive, you're coming with me.

(I re-watched the trilogy recently.)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And of course, Harrison Ford's ultimate "I know" improvisation.

Han's original "I love you too" would have been fine, but Ford went and made it badass - among other qualities.

It's one of the most intense moments in the trilogy, in my opinion; Chewie shouting at the sky gives me chills every damn time. And Han's simple yet full of sense reply is not only badass and very much into character; it also transcends he and Leia's relationship. It's amazing.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rambo calling out the bad guy on his side, before proceeding to kick the ass of the bad guys on the Russian/Vietnamese side.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I always liked this moment from Men In Black.   It's a different kind of badassery, but still counts.

The hero-villain confrontation from The Dark Knight Rises (spoilery):

SPOILER Show
Bane: Theatricality and deception are powerful agents to the uninitiated... but we are initiated, aren't we Bruce? Members of the League of Shadows!
And you betrayed us!

Batman: You were excommunicated... by a gang of psychopaths!

Bane: I AM the League of Shadows, and I'm here to fulfill Ra's al Ghul's destiny!
You fight like a younger man, with nothing held back. Admirable but mistaken.
Oh, you think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but BLINDING!
The shadows betray you, because they belong to me!
I will show you where I have made my home while preparing to bring justice. Then I will break you.
Your precious armory, gratefully accepted! We will need it.
Ah, yes... I was wondering what would break first...
Your spirit, or your body?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's going to be a LOT of John Carpenter movies on here I suspect, but James Woods in Vampires has one of my favorite monologues on the subject:

Thumbs up Thumbs down

How about-

Dirty Harry-'I know what you’re thinking. “Did he fire six shots or only five?” Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you’ve got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya punk?'

Reservoir Dogs- Are you gonna bark all day little doggie, or are you gonna bite?

Man On Fire- Forgiveness is between them and God. It's my job to arrange the meeting

And you can't really get more badass than-

Predator- 'I ain’t got time to bleed' big_smile

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:

Predator- 'I ain’t got time to bleed' big_smile

Jinx wink

Last edited by Sam F (2013-11-08 01:14:25)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Not a jinx if I posted it 3 minutes before you tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Obligatory mention of Liam Neeson's monologue from Taken:

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let my daughter go now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you. "

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Eduardo this entire scene:

Mark looks like he's about to cry.

"I like standing next to you, Sean... Makes me look so tough."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Marvel's The Avengers:
- I have an army.
- We have a Hulk.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's played for laughs in the movie but it still counts, I think. From Demon Hunters: Dead Camper Lake:

"You got a problem with vampires, buddy?"

"Nothin' Mr. Second Amendment here couldn't fix."

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Jimmy B wrote:

Predator- 'I ain’t got time to bleed'

I couldn't figure out which quote from Predator to include. We might as well post the entire script. Fun fact: Teague still hasn't seen that movie but he has the audacity to call himself a man.

Oh man, here we go. Broken Allegiance:

"Wrong species."

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

From Once Upon A Time In The West:

Harmonica: And Frank?
Snaky: Frank sent us.
Harmonica: Did you bring a horse for me?
Snaky: Well... looks like we're...[snickers]...looks like we're shy one horse.
Harmonica: You brought two too many.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down