Topic: Oscar Documentary Shortlist

For all the Documentality listeners here, the Academy just announced the Best Documentary Feature shortlist for the Oscars.

"The Act of Killing," Final Cut for Real
   "The Armstrong Lie," The Kennedy/Marshall Company
   "Blackfish," Our Turn Productions
   "The Crash Reel," KP Rides Again
   "Cutie and the Boxer," Ex Lion Tamer and Cine Mosaic
   "Dirty Wars," Civic Bakery
   "First Cousin Once Removed," Experiments in Time, Light & Motion
   "God Loves Uganda," Full Credit Productions
   "Life According to Sam," Fine Films
   "Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer," Roast Beef Productions
   "The Square," Noujaim Films and Maktube Productions
   "Stories We Tell," National Film Board of Canada
   "Tim’s Vermeer," High Delft Pictures
   "20 Feet from Stardom," Gil Friesen Productions and Tremolo Productions
   "Which Way Is the Front Line from Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington," Tripoli Street

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Oscar Documentary Shortlist

I see them going for either 20 Feet From Stardom or The Act Of Killing.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, for my money, I think the final five will be:

Act of Killing
Blackfish
The Square
20 Feet
and either Which Way or Armstrong Lie

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You think Stories We Tell could sneak in there?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I do.  Polley is a darling in this town and (not sure if you've seen the film or not) what she accomplishes technically with SWT is pretty fascinating.  This is to say nothing of the story which is truly wrenching and unique.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll do a quick rundown of the ones I've seen.

"The Act of Killing," We discussed on Documentality.  I love it.  My pick to win.
   "The Armstrong Lie," Haven't seen it, but it looks good, and Alex Gibney usually gets a Nomination.
   "Blackfish," We discussed.  I think it's for sure a nomination.
   "The Crash Reel," Very cool doc.  Not sure it'll make it to next round, as Life according to Sam will suck the tearjerker vote.
   "Cutie and the Boxer," Haven't seen it, but have heard great things.  Exit Through the Gift Shop meets Jiro, is how one friend described it.
   "Dirty Wars," It's awful purty, and the pace is excellent, but it's straight journalism with a bent towards polemic.  I think the academy has Middle East fatigue.  Don't think it makes it to next round.
   "First Cousin Once Removed," Haven't seen it, trailer didn't stir me.
   "God Loves Uganda," Heard good things.  It's basically about Christian Evangelicals in Uganda.
   "Life According to Sam," This...was a tough one to watch.  Ooof.  Kids with Progeria.
   "Pussy Riot: A Punk Prayer," Really dug it.  Has an outside chance to make it to the final five.
   "The Square," Shoe in for a nom.  Acquired footage of Tarhir Square revolutions.  Street level views of revolution.  It's a doc equivalent of Gravity.
   "Stories We Tell," We'll discuss this on Documentality sometime before Noms are announced.
   "Tim’s Vermeer," Total Teague Bait.  Exploration in how Vermeer acheived photorealism using high tech-ery to figure it out.
   "20 Feet from Stardom," More Teague bait, and potential upset for the Oscar.  Story of Backup SIngers.
   "Which Way Is the Front Line from Here? The Life and Time of Tim Hetherington," A Restrepo like Doc about one of the makers of Restrepo.  Outside chance for a nom.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think that Act of Killing, Stories We Tell, and 20 Feet from Stardom are definite nominees, and Pussy Riot, Blackfish, and Tim's Vermeer are potential upsets.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If there's only 3 nominees, then yeah, those three.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I do think there will be five nominees, but I'm not sure what they'll be. I don't see those three not being nominated. The final 2 slots are up in the air, I think.

Thumbs up Thumbs down