The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Pacific Rim
Elysium
The Lone Ranger
Star Trek Into Darkness
Oblivion
Thor: The Dark World
World War Z

Doesn't matter who the final nominees are, I say it's Gravity all the way.

Re: 2013 VFX Oscar shortlist is out

No Man of Steel? That's surprising.

Gravity is so obviously the winner. Guessing the nominees will be process of elimination. I don't see Thor, World War Z, or Lone Ranger getting in. So I'm predicting:

Gravity
Desolation of Smaug
Star Trek Into Darkness
Pacific Rim
Elysium

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's pretty much my guess at this point as well - although I would be happier to see Oblivion than Star Trek on that list.

The Lone Ranger? I can't recall anything notable about the effects in that one.

My hope is that Gravity will win, although I imagine that if it doesn't it will win for Cinematography.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ya, what you guys said, though I think (and really hope) Oblivion takes it over Star Trek. Oblivion is seriously gorgeous.

But ya, for the winner? Gravity is the surest lock in this category since Avatar.

Last edited by bullet3 (2013-12-06 00:23:13)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oblivion is an interesting example. The gorgeous sky house was largely 'in camera' so to what extent is it VFX? Maybe it should be nominated for cinematography, and if it won, would make it back-to-back wins for DP Claudio Miranda (following up from Life of Pi).

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can't imagine the voting would be anything but a landslide win for Gravity.

The Vegas oddsmakers are going to give up some serious weight to anyone looking to bet that Iron Man 3 or The Hobbit will win.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oblivion is an interesting example. The gorgeous sky house was largely 'in camera' so to what extent is it VFX? Maybe it should be nominated for cinematography, and if it won, would make it back-to-back wins for DP Claudio Miranda (following up from Life of Pi).

Academy has a history of liking practical FX. Didn't Inception win the year it was up? Doesn't matter how the effect is achieved if it looks amazing, and if it's done for real, all the better.

But it's irrelevant, Gravity is gonna sweep the technical awards (including cinematography).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I feel oddly validated by this thread..... *sighs happily*

Thumbs up Thumbs down