Re: What were your TOP 5 MOVIES of 2013?

Eddie wrote:

Kind of a preview for 2014, and a future Intermission episode, but I've reading some Black List scripts this year, and holy SHIT was I impressed with HOLLAND, MICHIGAN.  Don't want to say much more than that for obvious reasons, but that is a solid read.

I think Errol Morris is directing that.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

THAT'S RIGHT!

Oh.....oh wow you guys.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

I think it was Jackman's best performance to date.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Just finished Prisoners myself and, yeah, it's pretty damn good. Everyone in the movie is giving a tour de force performance. It raises some intriguing moral questions, but never for the sake of "WHAT WOULD YOU DO"-style exploitation.

That scene with

SPOILER Show
the hammer is some of the most intense acting I've ever seen from any actor. If you get a chance to watch it again, take a look at Terrence Howard's face. It seems like he didn't even know what Jackman was gonna do and has this "Sweet fucking Jesus Christ!" look on his face that is just perfect.

Ewing wrote:
Eddie wrote:

I think it was Jackman's best performance to date.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Just finished Prisoners myself and, yeah, it's pretty damn good. Everyone in the movie is giving a tour de force performance. It raises some intriguing moral questions, but never for the sake of "WHAT WOULD YOU DO"-style exploitation.

That scene with

SPOILER Show
the hammer is some of the most intense acting I've ever seen from any actor. If you get a chance to watch it again, take a look at Terrence Howard's face. It seems like he didn't even know what Jackman was gonna do and has this "Sweet fucking Jesus Christ!" look on his face that is just perfect.

That scene is gonna stick with me for a while. Everyone on screen is giving an insanely good performance.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Unfortunately I couldn't go see The Hobbit yesterday as I'd planned, so it'll have to wait. Hopefully it'll still be in theaters for a few weeks.

Right now, I'd go with:
#1 : The World's End - instant classic. The Cornetto trilogy is now to be watched on an annual basis.
#2 : Gravity - although I think it doesn't reach Chidren of Men's level by a long shot. It was an impressive movie experience and it made me like 3D, but I thought the character development was weakly built and the movie ended with a tone I didn't like.
#3 : Only God Forgives - you either love or hate what Refn does. I love it.

On the OK level, we have Star Trek : Into Darkness (I'm not a Trekker - yet - and I liked it enough), The Great Gatsby and Machete Kills (but seriously, Rodriguez : Grindhouse 2, please. You're way better at it).

On the not-so-OK level, Kick-Ass 2 (much weaker than the first one, and some - quite literally - shitty jokes) and This is the End (I guess this is just not my kind of humor).

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:
Ewing wrote:

I saw Prisoners last night. It's the most engaging thriller I've seen since Se7en. The performances are stellar and while Gyllenhaal is getting most of the awards hype, I honestly think Jackman was better as the unhinged father. Paul Dano was also tremendous as the main suspect character. And as always, Roger Deakins shows why he's the best cinematographer on the planet. That guy is so good at his job it's almost fucking unfair.

I really appreciated how little time the movie spent on the details of the case. Presented in another way, this film could have been a really pulpy murder mystery. Actually, the fact that the case was so complex ended up working against the movie in parts. Reveals and answers are flying fast and furious in that last 45 minutes or so. But that's not really what the movie was about, so they kind of muddle the narrative. Still, the movie's focus on ethics sets it apart from most other modern thrillers. Not sure if it'll fit on my list, but man did it surprise me.

I also found the different emphasis of the film really nice. For those who have seen Asian films like "The Chaser" and "I Saw The Devil", Prisoners has a similar feel to it, almost as if from another culture of filmmaking.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just got back from American Hustle. It's a really, really entertaining movie, but the second it ended I forgot it entirely. It's really fun and engrossing, but nothing about it really stuck with me. The most interesting thing about it is how kinetic it is. Everything is always moving, all the time. Even during standard dialogue scenes, the camera is floating down people's bodies as if simulating the POV of the main characters, who are keen observers and great at seeing through people. Again, it's a very well-made movie (probably the first David O. Russell movie I've ever enjoyed) but I don't understand all this awards buzz.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wait, first?

What's your David O. Russell thing?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Her. Go see Her. Best piece of science fiction in the last decade, easy.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Wait, first?

What's your David O. Russell thing?

Dunno if I have a "thing," per se. I just haven't really liked any of his movies until now. And the Academy's incredible love for him baffles me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You didn't like Three Kings? How is that possible?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm with Doc Sub on this one - I liked Three Kings, and Silver Linings Playbook whenever Jennifer was onscreen, and that's about it for me and David O. Russell as well.

American Hustle wasn't bad, it just seemed like a Goodfellas fanfilm.  I also don't get the appeal of Bradley Cooper, so that may be part of the problem.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Dunno if I have a "thing," per se. I just haven't really liked any of his movies until now. And the Academy's incredible love for him baffles me.

This but the Coen Bros.

/come at me
/O Brother was fine
/True Grit too
/But otherwise

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I assume you haven't seen Raising Arizona, then?   Because the alternative is too terrible to contemplate.

O Brother Where Art Thou is in my top 3 all time favorite movies.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's bona fide.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110825024603/villains/images/d/d0/Vlcsnap-10519755.png

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Raising Arizona and Fargo are two of the best films ever made. Almost everything else the Coens made ranges from okay to unwatchable. A Serious Man's reception baffles me in the same way Melancholia's baffled me. That's the double feature at hell's drive-in.

And, aside from Three Kings, I don't dig DOR either.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulou wrote:

Not according to Jezebel.

Oh great, another movie about a dude who's SO DESERVING OF LOVE but just can't his shit together enough to date a real woman.

This time, it's the Spike Jonze-directed Her, a film that stars Joaquin Phoenix as a dude who falls in love with his phone's operating system. The trailer is entertaining, I guess, and Scarlett Johansson sounds great as Samantha (AKA hot sexy hot sexy sexy Siri), but do we really need another fantasy movie filmed by a white man about white men who will never find the perfect woman? Partly because she doesn't exist and partly because if she does, she's a computer—a subservient robot with a sexy voice who laughs at all your jokes and takes care of your scheduling.

Source: http://jezebel.com/dude-would-rather-da … 1476118015

Sorry, I just had to share this tidbit. It's the most woefully self-righteous and ignorant thing I've heard about a movie in a long time.

Oh and I love the Coens. I have yet to see something from them that I didn't love, especially Fargo. And I really loved A Serious Man. I think that's a brilliant film.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Catching up with this thread, one thing is clear- I don't think I'll ever understand the love The World's End has been getting.  This has puzzled me all year big_smile

I am still working on my definite top 5 of 2013. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ewing wrote:
paulou wrote:

Not according to Jezebel.

Oh great, another movie about a dude who's SO DESERVING OF LOVE but just can't his shit together enough to date a real woman.

This time, it's the Spike Jonze-directed Her, a film that stars Joaquin Phoenix as a dude who falls in love with his phone's operating system. The trailer is entertaining, I guess, and Scarlett Johansson sounds great as Samantha (AKA hot sexy hot sexy sexy Siri), but do we really need another fantasy movie filmed by a white man about white men who will never find the perfect woman? Partly because she doesn't exist and partly because if she does, she's a computer—a subservient robot with a sexy voice who laughs at all your jokes and takes care of your scheduling.

Source: http://jezebel.com/dude-would-rather-da … 1476118015

Sorry, I just had to share this tidbit. It's the most woefully self-righteous and ignorant thing I've heard about a movie in a long time.

I doubt the person writing that blurb saw the film.

Last edited by paulou (2013-12-21 16:49:16)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I have not seen RAISING ARIZONA.

And THE WORLD'S END is awful.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

I'd really love to read a full review of this. Genuinely interested.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

I finally got around to NOW YOU SEE ME and I didn't think it was that bad, frankly.

Dorkman wrote:

Am I getting trolled?