Topic: My thoughts on an alternate Gravity ending... (SPOILERS)

Gravity... great film! I was hoping Bullock died drowning at the end (I'm aware those are words I have nor will ever get the opportunity to say again - har). It would have made for a more compelling ending. After all that adversity, she made it back to earth, and died, merely feet from dry land!

Your thoughts......

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: My thoughts on an alternate Gravity ending... (SPOILERS)

No. The entire film is building to the ending it has—she's conquered her fear, grief and guilt and is ready to live again. Not only would that ending be totally uncinematic and cruel, it would be completely the wrong ending for the film. The reason The Mist's ending works so well is that the whole film is building to that hopelessness. Gravity is not.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

My ending was... and then SHARKS!  big_smile

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

That would have made a fine indie movie.  It would have made about eleven dollars at the box office.

In fact, they did make that movie this year, it was called

SPOILER Show
Europa Report

I thought Trey would be on my side... I totally get her getting over her grief and having a new found vigor for life... I just think the 'Hollywood - Triumph - Over - Adversity' ending was the wrong choice. And, yeah. It most probably wouldn't make a dime at the box office that way. Jus' spit balling.

Last edited by Regan (2013-12-18 20:15:03)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I am on your side in that that's a terrific gut-punch of a movie idea, just that it's not the right idea to tack onto Gravity. Which, as Darth P said, is built from the ground up as a story about rebirth and the will to live.

On the other hand, that OTHER movie is built from the ground up as a tale about how risk is necessary for mankind to progress, even though that means some of our attempts will fail.  So the ending fits.

I see what they did. I, personally would have LOVED IT the other way. Either way, still a solid movie. A movie I'll happily see again.

One thing that did take me out of the movie quite a bit - when she went under the water in the landing Module, they dipped the score. Almost as if she was the only person to hear it. I like the stylistic touch... but it snapped me into movie grammar mode. So, in between breathes of 'will she drown or won't she' I was thinking 'what are they doing with the score'.

Last edited by Regan (2013-12-18 20:36:38)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Snail wrote:

My ending was... and then APES ON HORSEBACK!

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Yeah, as has been pointed out, you can't take a movie about overcoming adversity and never giving up and then in the last ten seconds go "Haha, just kidding, life is bullshit!"

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

The movie trade needs to grow a scrotum. Every film does not have to have a happy resolve. Let me leave the cinema with questions. Let me slurp down the last dribbles of my over-sized drink and come away with a great experience. A bag full of emotions. Granted, Gravity headed that way through out the movie.

So... erm... SHARKS!!!!

@Snail was right! Sharks!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sure, let's have more movies like that. I'm totally with you. But trying to turn movies that aren't that into that by tacking on an inappropriate downer ending is just as bad as a downer-built movie tacking on a happy one.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll concede. But my thoughts stand.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:
Snail wrote:

My ending was... Bullock crawls out of the lake, goes into a convulsion, and... CHESTBURSTER!

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

screwballscramble wrote:

I have a nice comfy chair here if they'd like to sit for a bit.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
screwballscramble wrote:

I have a nice comfy chair here if they'd like to sit for a bit.

Fi i i i i i inally! A seat for my thoughts. Should I park them?!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:
Snail wrote:

My ending was... Bullock crawls out of the lake, goes into a convulsion, and... CHESTBURSTER!

Now that you say that, Sandra Bullock as a modern day Riply; grey T-shirt and skimpy underwear to boot!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You could have done a similar idea to what you were saying but instead of having her drown, end the film after here re-entry speech and just show the outside of the capsule entering the atmosphere.  Leave it up to the viewer to decide whether or not she burned up on re-entry or not.  You'd still have the rebirth tone with her overcoming adversity and smiling while giving her monologue.  At that point she'd done everything possible and her survival was completely out of her hands.

Of course, I still don't think they should have gone that way, because then we wouldn't get the soaked Sandra in her Underwear.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Raven wrote:

You could have done a similar idea to what you were saying but instead of having her drown, end the film after here re-entry speech and just show the outside of the capsule entering the atmosphere.  Leave it up to the viewer to decide whether or not she burned up on re-entry or not.  You'd still have the rebirth tone with her overcoming adversity and smiling while giving her monologue.  At that point she'd done everything possible and her survival was completely out of her hands.

Of course, I still don't think they should have gone that way, because then we wouldn't get the soaked Sandra in her Underwear.

You've Nailed it! Erm.. wait.. Bullock on a beach... I think we best leave it as is.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, if soul-crushing despair is your thing, you should watch

SPOILER Show
THE GREY.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

SPOILER Show
THE GREY.

Or, if you'd like to simulate the experience, trap yourself in a maze with several hungry wolves, and arm yourself only with the collected works of Nietzche and a copy of "The Stranger" for good measure.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:
Dorkman wrote:

SPOILER Show
THE GREY.

Or, if you'd like to simulate the experience, trap yourself in a maze with several hungry wolves, and arm yourself only with the collected works of Nietzche and a copy of "The Stranger" for good measure.

There you go. Man, I couldn't wait for that movie to be over so I could go sob over the futility of it all.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

Yeah, as has been pointed out, you can't take a movie about overcoming adversity and never giving up and then in the last ten seconds go "Haha, just kidding, life is bullshit!"

It would be such a scumbag move that I would erupt with laughter in the theater.

What about this... Sandra Bullock thought her daughter was dead (e.g. went missing or something). Then she finds out on the ISS that her daughter is actually  alive, which gives her the motivation to get back in the saddle.

And then Sandra Bullocks crash-lands her capsule...... on............... her daughter. Roll credits. Boom!  lol

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I just want to be in the room when that gets pitched to a studio. 

They'd be eating that up and then... "Wait - then what happens?  I see.  Well, thanks for coming in."

Trey wrote:

I just want to be in the room when that gets pitched to a studio. 

They'd be eating that up and then... "Wait - then what happens?  I see.  Well, thanks for coming in."

Yes, yes. Good luck with that Futurama show of yours...

Sorry, that ending he pitched strikes me as a very Futurama-esque ending

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down