Re: So...how bout dem Oscars?

sellew wrote:
Rob wrote:

PHILOMENA sticks out like George W. Bush on the Harvard campus -- you think "Yeah somebody pulled some strings to get you here."

Particularly given that Bush pere and fils went to Yale, rather than Harvard.  It's an important distinction.   tongue

I thought Dubya went to Harvard as well, much to the embarrassment of Harvard.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

sellew wrote:
Rob wrote:

PHILOMENA sticks out like George W. Bush on the Harvard campus -- you think "Yeah somebody pulled some strings to get you here."

Particularly given that Bush pere and fils went to Yale, rather than Harvard.  It's an important distinction.   tongue

George Walker Bush graduated from Yale, class of 68, and from Harvard Business School in 1975. Daddy helped him get into both. He also traded Sammy Sosa when he owned the Texas Rangers. One doesn't need to be a presidential historian to know these things. It's covered in Oliver Stone's biopic.   cool

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rob wrote:

George Walker Bush graduated from Yale, class of 68, and from Harvard Business School in 1975. Daddy helped him get into both. He also traded Sammy Sosa when he owned the Texas Rangers. One doesn't need to be a presidential historian to know these things. It's covered in Oliver Stone's biopic.   cool

Ah, true enough.  But everybody knows HBS doesn't count.  It's on the other side of the river  smile

[Edit:  And the Kennedy School doesn't really either  smile ]

Last edited by sellew (2014-01-16 21:37:46)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

sellew wrote:
Rob wrote:

Ah, true enough.  But everybody knows HBS doesn't count  smile

[Edit:  And neither does the Kennedy School  smile ]

Spoken like a true Yale man.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Rob wrote:
sellew wrote:
Rob wrote:

Ah, true enough.  But everybody knows HBS doesn't count  smile

[Edit:  And neither does the Kennedy School  smile ]

Spoken like a true Yale man.

Perish the thought, my good man!  Now where's that monocle?  I know I left it around here somewhere.... 

(But, you're right.  It is at least in theory ambiguous.)

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What's funny is that I actually liked PHILOMENA a lot. But that it got the nom and LLEWYN DAVIS didn't is... surprising.

DALLAS BUYER'S CLUB has awesome acting in it, but as a film it's kind of just slightly above average. It never occurred to me when I saw it that it might be nominated for BP. Ditto PHILOMENA.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

2) The fact that American Hustle has 10 nominations is proof that God has abandoned us.

[....]

8) No, seriously, fuck American Hustle.

Haven't seen it, but it did well at the BAFTAs as well, nomination-wise, so I guess God abandoned the UK first.  And Philomena also got a BAFTA Best Picture nomination (not just Best British Film), perhaps unsurprisingly.  So maybe the signs were there.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I want Gravity to win [Gary Oldman]every one![/Gary Oldman], but would retain my faith in humanity if it won cinematography, effects and directing.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would appreciate it if someone could articulate a well-reasoned, "The Oscars are important because _____." sentence.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's a trap.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulou wrote:

I would appreciate it if someone could articulate a well-reasoned, "The Oscars are important because _____." sentence.

I was gonna ask why I should care, but yours is probably a little more tactful.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-01-16 23:03:53)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

paulou wrote:

I would like someone to do the same for "The Superbowl".  Or "Jesus".

The answer to all of the above, honestly, is because we decide they're important.  No one is required by law to care about any of them and can go about their business.

The SuperBowl is an apt comparison for me because Awards Season is very much a spectator sport. It's not important in the cosmic sense, but for those interested in movies/Hollywood pleasure can be derived from handicapping, discussing, having an office pool. It's like football in that way--a fun diversion enjoyed precisely b/c not every conversation can be about the fate of the republic. Personally, I have a job that can get kind of heavy at times, so I need doses of pure meaninglessness & humor at regular intervals.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also like the Superbowl, the Oscars are a bunch of people who do a thing competing to decide who did that thing the best in a given year.

I was about to say the decision process is different between the two... but now that I think about it, maybe not so much. smile

Pretty much every aspect of human endeavor has something like this - there are awards for everything from playing Magic the Gathering to being the best plumber in Phoenix, Arizona.   The Oscars didn't originally have the attention of the entire world, it started as just movie people getting together to give each other awards and have a party.

**It's 2021 now and I hate everything I've said in this thread.**

Last edited by oTom (2021-11-13 05:16:14)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Oscars are masturbation.

And masturbation is fun.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Speaking of the Oscars and the Superbowl, am I the only one who is surprised that trailers don't premiere during the Oscars? I get why, like, Avengers airs during the Superbowl - large audience. But for the Superbowl-is-too-rich-for-my-blood films, why aren't the Oscars the Superbowl of movie ads?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Superbowl is one of the most-viewed events in the US every year.  About 40 million people watch the Oscars vs 100 million for the Super Bowl.  So Superbowl commercials are a bigger deal.

It's true that the 40 million or so watching the Oscars is a pretty hefty share as well, and are a more focused demographic - somebody watching the Oscars probably has an interest in movies in general. But I think we DO see a lot of movie trailers during the Oscars, it's just not something that gets discussed like Superbowl commercials.

Also a number of other high-profile ads target the Oscars - the first-ever iPad commercial debuted during an Oscar telecast, for example.

There used to be a rule that you couldn't air movie trailers during the Oscars, but I think they might have gotten rid of it last year or a few years ago.

paulou wrote:

The only really "important" things are eating, breathing, sleeping, and fucking. Everything else is just for fun. The Oscars are fun.

And hey, they spark a widespread mainstream discussion of cinema, even if it's not the deepest or most intense conversation.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-01-17 01:31:10)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

There used to be a rule that you couldn't air movie trailers during the Oscars, but I think they might have gotten rid of it last year or a few years ago.

Can you tell us more? That sounds interesting.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That does sound familiar, now that you mention it.

I do know that until recently the Oscars were always held on Monday nights, as a "gentleman's agreement" by all the studios.  Because in any given year, any studio might find themselves unhappy that the Oscars overlapped the opening weekend of their release of _____.  But they've let that go and now the Oscars are on Sunday, maybe because of the decline of Oscar ratings in general.

So if there is or was a moratorium on buying trailer ad time during the Oscars, that'd make some sense. The Oscars is the one night a year when Hollywood dresses up and pretends everybody loves each other and is all classy and stuff, I can see them not wanting to let the telecast turn into a pissing match where everyone's trying to get their trailers on the air.

Did a little googling, and I guess the Oscar rules regarding commercials are really weird and specific. You can have an ad featuring a nominee, but you have to wait an hour after their category is announced to air it.

The "no trailers" rule got cut in 2010 basically because viewership was declining so hard. They let each studio advertise one movie.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I remember a couple years where they aired on Tuesday, actually.  I think if it overlapped with President's Day then they pushed it to Tuesday.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It just occurred to me that Her didn't get a VFX nomination. That's shocking. Whoever animated Olivia Wilde did a fantastic job.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9066318.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/12-years.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9066320.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/blue-jasmine-web.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9066329.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/her-web.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9066321.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/captain-phillips-web.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9066330.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/wolf-of-wall-street-web.jpg

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article9066326.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/gravity-web.jpg

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down