Re: So...how bout dem Oscars?

redxavier wrote:

I want Gravity to win [Gary Oldman]every one![/Gary Oldman], but would retain my faith in humanity if it won cinematography, effects and directing.

As much as I love Gravity and want it to win awards, I'd rather Deakins won cinematography for Prisoners because-

a) that movie looks great
b) I want it to win something as it didn't get any performance noms
c) he's Deakins and has never won one yet which is tragic

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think Scarface is Scarface for douchebags, right? The Blue Jasmine one is very accurate though. Every time Woody Allen makes a movie, the Academy flips a coin.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I think Scarface is Scarface for douchebags, right?.

LOL

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, today I saw Philomena and Dallas Buyers Club. Philomena isn't a phenomenal movie, but it does what it needs to do very well, and it never gets heavy-handed or one-sided with regards to the religious issues it raises. Both sides legitimately get equal treatment. Its Best Picture nomination reminds me a lot of when The King's Speech got nominated. Small British film from a respected British director that resonated in America and got tons of awards. Except that Philomena is good.

Dallas Buyers Club, though...wow. I was astonished at how much I fucking loathed this movie. Finally, a movie about the AIDS crisis that focuses on how hard it was for straight guys, and how one straight guy heroically came to the rescue of lots and lots of poor unfortunate gay people. The main character's arc is finished like a third of the way through, as if the screenwriter threw it in so that people would think the movie had themes. The Jared Leto character is basically there to make McConaughey not a homophobe, and has nothing actually going on individually. Rayon is entirely defined by his relationship with Ron, rather than being a full character. And the movie is told so coldly. It's like a robot made it. "Okay, insert this part of the story. Good, next this part. Okay, now skip ahead six months." There's no logical or emotional flow to any of the action. Its 2-hour runtime seemed to last an eternity, and it ends so abruptly it practically gave me whiplash. I really don't get what people saw in this.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-01-17 20:49:59)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:
paulou wrote:

I would appreciate it if someone could articulate a well-reasoned, "The Oscars are important because _____." sentence.

I was gonna ask why I should care, but yours is probably a little more tactful.

This year is the 10 year anniversary of the greatest ever triumph for nerds, geeks, and genre fans at the Oscars. Clean Sweep for Return of the King - which won EVERYTHING it was nominated for. A record haul of gold.

When you have a horse in the race, it's great when it gets recognized. When all the great genre movies get ignored (Dark Knight?), fuck the Academy. Bunch of old wankers.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

6 Fast 6 Furious was ignored. The Oscars are a sham.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Frankly, ever since Dredd was snubbed in all categories, I don't take the Oscar's seriously anymore.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm looking for the American Hustle script.  Can't find it anywhere.  Usually, all the scripts up for Oscar consideration in a given year are put out for download during Oscar season.  I've found pretty much almost all of them, I really want to read the American Hustle script though...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's just scene headings.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have horses in this race (much like the Super Bowl) and I still could not care less about the Oscars.

Somewhere, there is a Game of Thrones quote that is applicable to my feelings...

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I saw someone on Twitter bring up an interesting point re: "The Oscars are important because _________" question.

In a world without the Oscars or any other high-profile movie awards shows, Her doesn't get made. Neither does Inside Llewyn Davis. At least, not with the backing of major studios. If the Oscars didn't exist, there would be no incentive for studios to make those films when they could just make blockbusters that are guaranteed to have widespread appeal.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, considering where we are at now, we're almost at the point where Her or Lewelyn Davis don't get made period, oscars or no oscars.

It's basically Megan Ellison at Annapurna Pictures almost single-handedly keeping American cinema alive at this point. Pretty much no-one else in Hollywood is funding original movies anymore.

Last edited by bullet3 (2014-01-18 04:27:35)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jimmy B wrote:
redxavier wrote:

I want Gravity to win [Gary Oldman]every one![/Gary Oldman], but would retain my faith in humanity if it won cinematography, effects and directing.

As much as I love Gravity and want it to win awards, I'd rather Deakins won cinematography for Prisoners because-

Everything this man just said. I don't even take the Oscars that seriously but it would be nice for Deakins to finally win that fucking award.

Ewing wrote:
Jimmy B wrote:
redxavier wrote:

Everything this man just said. I don't even take the Oscars that seriously but it would be nice for Deakins to finally win that fucking award.

Sure, but its hardly his best work. You're handing him an award in 2014 for career work he did over the last 20 years rather than this one movie of 2013. That's the downside of these 'consolation' or 'bout time he got one gongs'. It's happened heaps of times... someone is neglected for years, and then gets one for a less-than-emblematic performance.  Anyway, we've all agreed these awards blow, and there's plenty of award ceremonies, so I'm sure there's enough to go round for everyone, several times over.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I want him to get it because I think the film looks great and he deserves it for the job he did on it, first and foremost.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sure, but its hardly his best work. You're handing him an award in 2014 for career work he did over the last 20 years rather than this one movie of 2013. That's the downside of these 'consolation' or 'bout time he got one gongs'. It's happened heaps of times... someone is neglected for years, and then gets one for a less-than-emblematic performance.  Anyway, we've all agreed these awards blow, and there's plenty of award ceremonies, so I'm sure there's enough to go round for everyone, several times over.

Agree, Deakins should have had numerous Oscar wins to date, but he hasn't and I don't think a 'woops Oscar' now is the way to go, especially given the competition he's up against this year.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I haven't seen the other films in the category apart from Gravity so I can't judge the competition so I'll still give it to Deakins. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's a long list of prestigious names who have never won an Oscar. They're the too-cool-for-school crowd. Given the long-forgotten crap that has won over the years, perhaps losing is the new winning.
Would you rather hang out with Gwyneth or Fincher?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Umm... that's a no brainer, Gwyneth of course!

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Umm... that's a no brainer, Gwyneth of course!

Alright smarty, Kathy Bates or Christopher Nolan?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Clearly Chris Nolan in that case. He's way more talented than Fincher  wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

The Oscars are masturbation.

And masturbation is fun.

http://dlisted.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/catejackingoffsagman.gif

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Good acting to appear excited after winning a gong every other frigg'n night for a month. So far we've had the Golden Globes awards, Critics Choice awards, Screen Actors Guild awards, Producers Guild Awards, and the 'Lets Give Ourselves Even More Awards' awards, and that's only the start of the season. It's raining gongs.

Last edited by avatar (2014-01-20 18:06:23)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's raining gongs.

Hallelujah!

Last edited by Jimmy B (2014-01-20 18:18:07)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulou wrote:
Dorkman wrote:

The Oscars are masturbation.

And masturbation is fun.

http://dlisted.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/catejackingoffsagman.gif

If she rubs that thing any harder...

http://i.imgur.com/BqWu2g5.gif

Thumbs up Thumbs down