Topic: The Lego Movie (Spoiler Thread)

Here's my review in full:

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-02-08 22:51:11)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Lego Movie (Spoiler Thread)

I enjoyed the hell out of this movie. It was everything I hoped for and more.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2014-02-08 06:04:04)

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Man, that song is fucking insufferable. sad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This was a lot of fun, altho absolutely frenetic and a bit rambling. Will Ferrel is hilarious, but the whole cast does a great job.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

This was a lot of fun, altho absolutely frenetic and a bit rambling. Will Ferrel is hilarious, but the whole cast does a great job.

Show
Well, considering what we find out in the third act, I have to imagine that this is intentional to a degree.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I tweeted about it, but just so it's said here, too - I enjoyed The Lego Movie more than I enjoyed any movie in 2013.

Also, randomly remembered observation, I love me a largely-CG movie that's shot anamorphic. Heh.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just got back from seeing it and I also enjoyed the hell out of it. Now it's time to place bets on how long 'Everything is Awesome' stays in my head for.

EDIT: Got two Kids Combos just for the Lego minifigs. I have no regrets.

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1897768_775051455849747_1270201317_n.jpg

Last edited by Owen_Ward (2014-02-08 22:37:30)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

(Declaring this a spoiler-thread from here on out. STAY AWAY until you see it. Trust me, you want to go in knowing nothing.)

It occurs to me that this would make a great double-feature with The Incredibles. The message of The Incredibles is, as put by Syndrome, "When everyone's super, no one will be." The message of The Lego Movie is really similar, but less cynical. "No one is super, which means everyone can be."

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

It occurs to me that this would make a great double-feature with The Incredibles. The message of The Incredibles is, as put by Syndrome, "When everyone's super, no one will be." The message of The Lego Movie is really similar, but less cynical. "No one is super, which means everyone can be."

They also end the exact same way- with a new challenger come to take over the world, never again to be revisited. Though this one was more fitting and funny than the mole things from Incredibles.

I had a great time with the movie. Even while trying to drown out the random and senseless outbursts of laughter coming from an annoying kid sitting a few rows back, trying to impress his friends. That went on the entire time. I need to start waiting at least a week after movies are released before I go see them.

The only thing I didn't like so much was Emmet being able to move on his own in real life, throwing himself off the desk. I liked the idea of the entire story being in the kid's mind. That moment dragged the real father-son story into fantasy land.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:

The only thing I didn't like so much was Emmet being able to move on his own in real life, throwing himself off the desk. I liked the idea of the entire story being in the kid's mind. That moment dragged the real father-son story into fantasy land.

This is something I'd actually like to discuss, because I'm not 100% sure how I feel about it.

Personally, I was so not on board with the live-action stuff when it first appeared. It felt like a slap in the face after getting so invested in the story to be told, "LOL fuck you it's all made-up and there are no real stakes!" That being said, it's obviously the metaphor that the entire film is operating on logic-wise, so it's pretty much the only way that the movie CAN end. So I liked Emmet having autonomy within the real world, even if I'm not sure exactly how it all works.

The literal workings of it don't bother me too much, because I'm willing to forgive a little inconsistency given how emotionally satisfying the ending is. My personal explanation is that the Lego world does literally exist, but it's brought about through the kid's (and his dad's) imagination. It's kind of a fascinating philosophical notion, actually. Their entire universe is invented by people in the real world, who can manipulate it via real world conduits. But the Lego people are still real people, with real lives, and they fill in the blank details when the kid and his dad aren't imagining them. They would have to, because the story is way too subversive thematically for that kid to come up with while playing. They can cross between them because magic.

But again, it's the only possible way to end this movie, and emotionally it works like gangbusters.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Personally, I was so not on board with the live-action stuff when it first appeared. It felt like a slap in the face after getting so invested in the story to be told, "LOL fuck you it's all made-up and there are no real stakes!" That being said, it's obviously the metaphor that the entire film is operating on logic-wise, so it's pretty much the only way that the movie CAN end. So I liked Emmet having autonomy within the real world, even if I'm not sure exactly how it all works.

I felt that way a little bit, but I warmed up to the idea very quickly. The Emmet autonomy was more disappointing to me.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

My personal explanation is that the Lego world does literally exist, but it's brought about through the kid's (and his dad's) imagination. It's kind of a fascinating philosophical notion, actually. Their entire universe is invented by people in the real world, who can manipulate it via real world conduits. But the Lego people are still real people, with real lives, and they fill in the blank details when the kid and his dad aren't imagining them. They would have to, because the story is way too subversive thematically for that kid to come up with while playing. They can cross between them because magic.

That is a good way to think about it, but it does introduce some questions, mainly pertaining to the physical autonomy of the LEGO world. Obviously the LEGO action you see in the movie isn't what's really going on physically. That is made evident by the intercuts between Ferrell looking at the table and the action that's going on in the world. It's being imaginatively embellished by... the kid? The storyteller? Maybe the characters are not really pulling all of those sweet animated moves, but that's how they envision what they're doing. Then when Emmet breaks into the human world, he sees how humans see, and realizes how much effort it takes just to move a little bit on his own. When he was in LEGO world it seemed to him like he was in an action scene, but now that he has an outside view on things and no help from the humans, he realizes that moving is actually not a simple task (though not impossible because it happened in the movie and now it's canon) for LEGO, and the "Man Upstairs" had a bigger hand in the goings on of his world than Emmet had ever known.

But I feel like adding that element of it complicates things too much. They didn't have to have Emmet move himself anyway. It wasn't vital in my opinion.

Maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong and missing the point. In fact I hope so. But for now, I'm tired. Goodnightgoodnight.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To elaborate on my earlier point, the reason I liked Emmet moving is because it allowed for the live-action stuff to exist without compromising the stakes of the Lego stuff. It drives home that, no matter what, the story we've seen up to this point is real, and so is the jeopardy that the Lego characters are in. Maybe the voice-over alone would've accomplished that, though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The live action stuff pretty much breaks the story. It succeeds in being funny and heartwarming, but destroys the stakes and changes the conflict. It could have worked (better) tho if Dad decided to role play Lord Business WITH Son, and we dive back into the story, conflict intact. Then no silly "You're special, Lord Business" speech fom Emmet, and Lord Business is defeated fair and square, with over-the-top, defeated-maniac dialog from Farrell.

Zarban wrote:

The live action stuff pretty much breaks the story. It succeeds in being funny and heartwarming, but destroys the stakes and changes the conflict. It could have worked (better) tho if Dad decided to role play Lord Business WITH Son, and we dive back into the story, conflict intact. Then no silly "You're special, Lord Business" speech fom Emmet, and Lord Business is defeated fair and square, with over-the-top, defeated-maniac dialog from Farrell.

I don't think it does break it, unless you let it. Emmet's world IS real, just as real as the real world. Otherwise, Emmet's trip into the real world wouldn't mean anything.

Disagree with your different ending, as it completely ruins the theme of the movie.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Disagree with your different ending, as it completely ruins the theme of the movie.

This movie has no coherent theme. The stuff about being special is nonsense and is thrown away, then brought back at the last minute in a vain attempt to tie up the conflict. Lord Business doesn't care about who is or isn't special. There's no value in Emmet (or Son) telling him (or Dad) that he's special, yet that's what ends the Lego-world conflict. It's all storytelling sleight of hand. Emmet doesn't even have anything vested in his own specialness except that it gets him close to Lucy.

Thematically, if anyone should be telling anyone else that he's special, it's Dad telling Son. Kid clearly has issues.

Zarban wrote:
Doctor Submarine wrote:

This movie has no coherent theme. The stuff about being special is nonsense and is thrown away, then brought back at the last minute in a vain attempt to tie up the conflict. Lord Business doesn't care about who is or isn't special. There's no value in Emmet (or Son) telling him (or Dad) that he's special, yet that's what ends the Lego-world conflict. It's all storytelling sleight of hand. Emmet doesn't even have anything vested in his own specialness except that it gets him close to Lucy.

Thematically, if anyone should be telling anyone else that he's special, it's Dad telling Son. Kid clearly has issues.

No, it absolutely all comes together. At first it's about the dangers of conformity and how it makes people not want to be special. Then when we meet the Master Builders, we see the other side of the coin. They're all fiercely independent and original, which means they are incapable of working together as a team. Lucy is jealous of Emmet because she wanted to be the chosen one, and the scene where she admits that is the first time I've ever seen that aspect added to a monomyth-based film. Emmet teaches them to use their individual gifts to the benefit of everyone, and the film is ultimately about striking that balance. Which is exactly what Emmet says to President Business at the end. Everyone is incredibly special and important, because no one can do exactly what they can, but if you're not using those abilities to help others then there's no point in having them.

Emmet's speech to President Business isn't exactly what the kid said to his dad. Like every action in the movie, it's a translation of the real world into the Lego world.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I Dig the live action stuff you get to see Will Farrell's character is a Collector and with every collector who has a son they will play with stuff and it upsets them  so you see will Farrell see how silly it is not playing with the lego so then he lets go of his collector ways  and lets his son play with the toys

I'm Batman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would love a Toy Story/ The Lego Movie double feature

I'm Batman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Personally, I was so not on board with the live-action stuff when it first appeared. It felt like a slap in the face after getting so invested in the story to be told, "LOL fuck you it's all made-up and there are no real stakes!"

I felt the same way, like it pulled a back a bit and I was trying to race through, "But what does this mean, and this, and this," but the movie went, "Don't worry, it'll be alright. That house you feel like you were kicked out of? It's part of a larger, warmer house. You're still here, safe and sound. Home." In Morgan Freeman's voice.

I loved this movie so much. I wasn't expecting the father/son story at all and it really made things work*. Emmet's story is no less real when we find out that the broad strokes of it are the Son playing with his father's collection.

*I almost said "click", wouldn't have been able to live with myself.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I was tempted to write a review up in the review forum but couldn't get past "You should seriously go see this movie". I went in expecting Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs but with Batman, to be surprisingly entertained by a movie that doesn't really have any right to exist - as with Cloudy - and got more than I ever expected. I can't even describe the movie beyond pure happiness and excitement at this point, to the point I need to see this movie a second time so I can gather myself and put into words why this movie is so fucking awesome.

X-Files.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It was really good! I had possibly the worst experience in a theater I've ever had.. but the movie was good enough to make me not care :3

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree with Zarban. Enjoyed the movie and laughed a lot, not on board with the live action, theme is confusing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hm. Part of me thinks that this debate between pro- and anti-live-action is unresolvable so there's not much point in discussing it. Then again, I really really REALLY think that this movie would be lacking something if we didn't have that element.

I struggled a lot with the theme too, but I came to a conclusion that I think fits which I posted above. And even if they don't sync up perfectly, I think it's perfectly fine for a film to have more than one theme as long as they're semi-related through the plot, and I think The Lego Movie does that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I know that Film Crit Hulk isn't worshipped as a god by you guys like he is sometimes on Twitter, and I have my issues with him, but wow if he doesn't nail it here. He took the words right out of my mouth.

http://badassdigest.com/2014/02/11/film … ego-movie/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hm, FilmCritHulk, what's tha-

*pause, sees text*

Boy, this had better be good.

And of what I read, it is. (I... skimmed the last fifth or so, couldn't take it anymore.) Good find.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.