Topic: The LEGO Movie (DISCUSS!)

WHAT DID I JUST WATCH?

***(SPOILERS)***

First off, that movie was hilarious and awesome and I enjoyed it to death, go see it.
Secondly, can we talk about the deeper message here?

Basically, I think what they were going for is this:
Somewhere between the corporate world/responsibility and an individual's desire to be uniquely expressed lies complete harmony.

With the opening scene of Everything is Awesome and the obvious digs at consumerist, capitalist and corporate America, I thought the film was going to be along the lines of Elysium and just take potshots at the big bad The Man. Then later, plot twist, the rebellious "Master Builders" are flawed too!
Their creations are amazing and great, but in a way, selfish. The submarine was the apex of this, showing that just because a person is their own person, does not mean their uniqueness is the best solution for the team. The individual sections of the submarine may have been functional as constructed and desirable works to their builders ("I only work in black."), but in the long term, they did not hold up to the stresses they face against the bigger challenge they were all trying to survive. We have to work together.
The completely unexpected jump into 'the real world' laid the message on thick, despite it being completely against the LEGO company's current branding.
Yes, they sell sets and instructions which, used as intended can create specific forms, but those are not the limits of what they are capable of.

We're getting into some John Nash level game theory here, so strap on your smart glasses.
“The Best for the Group comes when everyone in the group does what's best for himself AND the group.”

It's not "us vs. them", we're all part of "us".
That's what I got out of it, anyway. Anyone else?

I can't believe this silly kid's movie was this deep, holy hell.
Spaceship.

Last edited by Vapes (2014-02-11 21:33:19)

"Defending bad movies is VaporTrail's religion."
-DorkmanScott

Re: The LEGO Movie (DISCUSS!)

That's exactly what I got out of it, yeah. I'd also add that this ties into the whole thing about "The Special" and how the prophecy is total bullshit. The film is saying that no one is inherently more special than anyone else (the conformity from the beginning), which really means that everyone is capable of being just as special as everyone else. All it really takes to be exceptional is to believe that you are, and even though it's not true, it can propel you towards greatness.

What a brilliant, brilliant film.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really loved the movie. They hit a home run with me when they did Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and following it up with this makes me a complete fan-boy of these guys.

I wonder how the message of this contrasts with the Incredibles' message. Trey pointed out that the Incredibles was saying that not everyone is special, but there are special people out there. While this movie seemed to say you might not be one of those special people, but you can do something cool anyway.

"Back to the Future is great, and if you disagree then you're Hitler." -Dorkman
"You sucking is canon!" -Brian

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Lego Movie How it should have Ended https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOQxxNYSHR0

I'm Batman

Thumbs up Thumbs down