Topic: [BOAT] Post Your Podcast Queue

Post your podcast queue here, warts and all and lets psychoanalyse the lists. Or just mock them.

My podcast queue changes a lot. Some podcasts I subscribe to, others I check in on from time to time.
Here is mine as of last few months.

http://ashdigital.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/EJ_PodcastQueue.jpg

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Re: [BOAT] Post Your Podcast Queue

Huh. I used to listen to a lot more podcasts. Hard to keep up with so many, though. This is what I've got at the moment.

http://i.imgur.com/eJPKINv.png

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Welcome to Night Vale - It's on my list to check out.

How is The Dissolve? Never heard of that one before.
The others I've dipped in and out of.
Stopped listening to Filmspotting when one of them cried (literally) when reviewing Vicky Cristina Barcelona. After that I've just downloaded episodes when they cover movies that are specially meaningful to me.

It's hard to contribute to this because I rarely subscribe to podcasts via iTunes or some other pod catcher. I usually just download or stream new, individual episodes of my favorite podcasts during the week.

I agree about Filmspotting. They replaced one of the hosts and became increasingly more pretentious. Sometimes, movie snobbery can reach such great heights, it makes me ask, "Why do you even have a weekly podcast about movies, when you clearly don't like movies?"

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Aw, Filmspotting's great. I certainly wouldn't call it "pretentious." Though admittedly it's not as good as it was in its prime. I'm not a huge fan of Josh Larsen, though. Agree with you there. I personally prefer Filmspotting SVU right now. Singer and Willmore have great chemistry.

The Dissolve is a lot of fun. It's the podcast for the site of the same name, which has some of the smartest film writing out there today imo. The podcast is really smart as well, but still lighthearted and funny.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-02-12 21:01:20)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Singer is always a blast. I actually made him crack up on Twitter, once. He had guested on the /Filmcast and they talked about Mimic. He was ripping into the kid who played the spoons. I explained to him on Twitter that kid was autistic in the movie. He had no clue and was embarrassed. I told him, "When you get to Hell, that kid will be there to beat on you for eternity, with spoons."

I think I've listened to one episode of The Dissolve, so far. I enjoyed it well enough, but have yet to go back. Maybe it depends on what the topic of discussion is for a given episode.

Am I crazy, or did we have a similar thread a while back, where we listed our favorite podcasts we listen to on a regular basis?

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

smile No you sane man...

What I'm thinking is by posting the queue (preferably as a screenshot like we did) we see an honest look at what we are listening to. Warts and all... I sometimes get the feeling when I read podcast threads like this (on forums in general) that people might be editing a little what they are listening to.

If Filmspotting has a problem it's not that it's pretentious*; it's that it's a bit staid. The old co-host, Matty, was more lively and had a better sense of humor than Larsen (who seems like a genuinely nice guy, nothing against him). Adam and Josh are almost too nice, or maybe it's that they're nice in the same sort of let's-agree-to-disagree kind of way. Now if one of them was a nice fella and the other had a more acerbic personality, that would be a more interesting dynamic to listen to. Thus the best shows these days are the ones where someone else comes into the mix (like Michael Phillips).

* They seem pretty down to Earth to me. They're jolly, plus with the "massacre theater" and top-5 lists and other diversions, it all feels purposefully light-hearted. Pretentiousness is basically phoniness, trying to come off as more sophisticated than you actually are. I don't get that vibe from them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh I'm totally with you there. The Michael Phillips episodes have consistently been my favorites in the past few years.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm a random downloader, too. Older Android phone, with a pretty crap player.

FIYH collection
Clever Apes (NPR)
Science Friday (NPR)
Going to the Show with a Regular Guy (WXRT radio)
Thom Hartman Program
Savage Love
Librivox, public domain audio book productions

Last edited by drewjmore (2014-02-22 14:18:35)

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Skeptics Guide to the Galaxy
FIYH
This Week in Science
The Bible Geek
How Did This Get Made?
Kaijucast
Irreligiosophy
Monster Talk

I recently discovered Adam Sessler from X-Play now has hooked up with rev3games and hosts two podcasts plus does reviews, so I've added them to the list.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FIYH
Onnit
Jay Mohr
Art of Wrestling
WTF
This American Life
Good Eats

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Pfft. No love for the Extended Edition. tsk tsk.

Kidding aside -
FIYH
Misjonen(Norwegian radio program)
Big Finish Doctor Who(though technically not a podcast)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I won't list all of mine because I've fallen behind on some.

Extended Edition
Filmspotting SVU
Friends in Your Head
HDTV and Home Theater Podcast
NPR Planet Money
NPR Science Friday
Radio Free Skaro
Science Talk
Slate Presents Lexicon Valley
The Bugle
Film Pigs Podcast
Skeptics Guide to the Universe
WTF with Marc Maron

(plus monitoring 1 million podcasts that do commentaries)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Tomahawk wrote:

Pfft. No love for the Extended Edition. tsk tsk.

I dip in and out of it from time to time.

Zarban: How's Film Pigs? I'm assuming it's good since it's in your regular rotation but how's the production level?

I'm more of a random downloader myself, I mostly only subscribe to FIYH and a few SModcast shows (Hollywood Babble-On, Fat Man on Batman, Tell 'Em Steve Dave and Edumacation).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Batman Universe
Two True Freaks
Extended Edition
Batgirl To Oracle
Friends in your head
Fatman on Batman
Batman Happening
Ideology of Madness
The Cultdom Collective
Dr.Action and the Kick-Ass Kid
Now playing review Podcast
Quiver :The Green Arrow Podcast
Pulp Commentaries
Sofa Dogs
Shut  Up and Watch this podcast
SHIELD TV Podcast
SWORD AOS Podcast
Out Now With Aaron and Abe
(all the ones i can think of so far)

Last edited by Jimbo (2014-02-13 23:59:24)

I'm Batman

Thumbs up Thumbs down

99% Invisible
Accidental Tech Podcast
Audio Dharma
Back to Work
Bullseye
Friends In Your Head
History Lessons with Caleb, Mike & Terry
The Indoor Kids
Jordan, Jesse GO!
the memory palace
Oh No Ross and Carrie
On Taking Pictures
Radiolab
Red Cow Entertainment: Discount Film School
Red Cow Entertainment: How Ah We
Roderick on the Line
Sawbones: A Martial Tour of Misguided Medicine
Song Exploder
The Talk Show with John Gruber

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Friends in Your Head and that's about it.

Every few weeks I'll check out Fatman on Batman because Smith takes forever to do episodes.

X-Files.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fat Man on Batman
You Made It Weird with Pete Holmes
Kevin Pollak's Chat Show
FIYH
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
Common Sense with Dan Carlin
Nerdist
Sklarbro Country
WTF with Marc Maron

Those are my subscribed podcasts, but I have a few others I check in on and listen to depending on the guest.

For you other Dan Carlin history listeners, the BBC has started a series of WWI podcasts that tie in nicely (from a British perspective anyway) with Dan's current Blueprint For Armageddon.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

KayRule wrote:

Friends in Your Head and that's about it.

Every few weeks I'll check out Fatman on Batman because Smith takes forever to do episodes.

I highly recommend FIYH's very own forum-made podcast, too!

Also, yeah, it's mostly just FIYH here too. The only other one I really listen to is a norwegian one, which is an excerpt of a weekly radio show.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

norwegian one, which is an excerpt of a weekly radio show.

What's that mandate thing that there needs to be a certain percentage of Nynorsk and Sami on the radio called?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

FIYH is the only film related podcast I listen to.
Planet Money - Economics explained. This podcast makes me almost want to be an economist. Almost.
More or Less - Explanations and debunking of numbers and statistics in news. They really do their homework. It's quite impressive.
99% Invisible - A podcast about design. Generally interesting. Occasionally amazing.
Radiolab - Popular social sciencey stuff. Used to be my favourite podcast, but I can't stand the occasional foray into semi-spiritual stuff.
Hello Internet - By CGP Grey and Brady Haran of YouTube. Just started, and is so far about being YouTube people. The Copyright episode was interesting.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Phi wrote:

99% Invisible - A podcast about design. Generally interesting. Occasionally amazing.

Was kind of weeping by the end of this episode.

http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/e … t-of-love/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

KayRule wrote:

....Every few weeks I'll check out Fatman on Batman because Smith takes forever to do episodes.

You can pretty much apply that to most of his podcasts. Hollywood Babble-On and Smodcast are probably the only ones that come out anymore on a regular basis. That "schedule" he has on his podcast network's website is a joke. Plus One hasn't had a new episode since June of 2013 and before that, February of 2013, where he claimed the show would be back to a weekly routine. Forget about Film School Friday. Smoviemakers hasn't had a new episode since September of 2013 and before that, March of 2013. Sminterview is probably the biggest offender, since the last episode was May of 2012 and it was a part-one-of-two episode. Part 2 is still unaccounted for.

Anyway, bitching aside, here are the podcasts I presently listen to on a regular basis.

Friends In Your Head
How Did This Get Made?
Nerdist
Potentialcast/Redemptioncast
Investigating Mars
The B-Movies Podcast
The Slashfilmcast
Hollywood Babble-On
Smodcast
The Mind Robbers
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.C.A.S.T.

I'm actually kind of surprised there's not more on that list. Goes to show just how many podcasts I've enjoyed have pod-faded, while others I've tried but haven't grabbed me enough to keep me coming back. I did start listening to The Auteurcast. Unfortunately, the first episode I chose to listen to was about Shaun of the Dead and the two hosts had this really sanctimonious, judgmental and misinformed view of the Horror genre and I feel like they misread the film, too. I may dig through their archives and try again.

Last edited by johnpavlich (2014-02-22 06:26:14)

Thumbs up Thumbs down