Topic: Elysium

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Elysium

I have a feeling this is a hatefest that I won't enjoy.

The computer code website I referenced in the commentary:   http://moviecode.tumblr.com/

I went into this commentary with a long list of things that I hated about this movie. As it happens, you guys touched on almost none of them. So now there's twice as many things I hate about Elysium. A+ work, fellas.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

What are you doing, movie-now with twice as much hate wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Was one of those criticisms Jodie Foster's weird French accent?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

The computer code website I referenced in the commentary:   http://moviecode.tumblr.com/

I cannot fathom how anyone can care that much about coding.

Ewing wrote:
Trey wrote:

Code at least has a legitimate use and can be examined like that, there are entire blogs chastising and examining FONT choice. That is what blows my mind.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:
Ewing wrote:
Trey wrote:

Code at least has a legitimate use and can be examined like that, there are entire blogs chastising and examining FONT choice. That is what blows my mind.

The irony. It burns.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Oh gods, you're one of them.

http://kaispace.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/invasion-of-the-body-snatchers-78.jpg

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-02-19 18:40:44)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Q: How many Screenwriters does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: THE LIGHT BULB??? But that's the best part!!!

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

"The irony" being the fact that you're a hair's breadth from going, "What a bunch of neeerrrrddddss."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

AshDigital wrote:

Q: How many Screenwriters does it take to change a light bulb?

FTFY

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:
AshDigital wrote:

Q: How many Screenwriters does it take to change a light bulb?

FTFY

Thanx smile

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

paulou wrote:

"The irony" being the fact that you're a hair's breadth from going, "What a bunch of neeerrrrddddss."

I'm not calling anyone a nerd. Coding is something that the vast majority of people don't understand. When it's on screen it's just there to let the audience know that some computer shit is going on; shows and films don't really have the time to take a break and explain to everyone the innerworkings of fictional hardware and software. The idea that some sci-fi movie/show needs to be called out because it featured 20 frames of C++ instead of it's own made up programming language is kinda crazy. It's such a minuscule element of television and film that it's bordering on pointless. It'd be like me dissecting every baseball scene in media and bitching about the grip the pitchers have on the ball.

Now, if you wanna bitch about the illogical aspect of something like two completely incompatible devices linking together (Independence Day) or computers doing things in the present that fucking impossible (every network cop show ever), that's something I could at least understand.

I disagree strongly. Movies are generally trying to build a believable world to suck you into the narrative. Having stupid nonsensical computer interfaces and code scrolling by totally pulls you out of the narrative every time (and more and more people increasingly know how to code).

That's one of the great things about David Fincher, he takes the time to make sure his technical details are accurate, and Social Network and Girl With the Dragon Tattoo benefit from completely accurate and believable coding.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Social Network is about someone who specializes in computer code, that's vastly different than some futuristic hacking system in The Matrix.

But if someone hacking into the matrix is obviously typing in to the .preferences file of a popular text editor, it can and will take a portion of the audience out of the movie.

Because you don't understand is not a license to excuse it.

Last edited by paulou (2014-02-19 22:01:54)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, I'm not saying the code itself has to be accurate, because you're right that you won't spot that stuff in the moment (usually, though I was ecstatic to see proper shell commands being used in Social Network). The bigger question is the design/look of that stuff, which tends to be over-engineered graphical bullshit flying all over the screen, which bears no resemblance to actual coding (Skyfall is the most recent culprit of this crap).

Just toning that stuff down, or making something visually believable, goes a long way.

You mention the Matrix, and while the vertically scrolling matrix character stuff makes no sense, the way it's presented visually is simple and consistent enough that you can buy that this is just how the machine-engineered code works, and that the human operators have gotten good enough at looking at it that they can pick up on what's going on. It also doesn't hurt that the "in-world" hacking we see Trinity doing in those movies is actually pretty believable too. Wachowski's did their homework.

Last edited by bullet3 (2014-02-19 22:23:57)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In general, it's always a good thing to have as much detail to your world as possible. Like the LOTR armor that had inscriptions on the inside. 99.9% of the audience won't care about inaccurate code, so making it accurate won't ruin it or anything. And the people who will notice will be thrilled.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If you assume that people won't care, then eventually they won't care as laziness breeds laziness. Every time you think that people won't notice, you're just giving yourself an excuse. Stories function not just as entertainment, but as a means of teaching people about all sorts of things (love, life, happiness, morality, friendship etc.). Movies should aspire to make people want to notice the details and the accuracy, and inspire the viewer to want to find out more. I think that if you care, so too will your audience.

The other side of this is the prevalence of misinformation in movies and its potential danger. Like it or not, films have tremendous power and influence over a lot of people, and every time these misrepresent something - whether it be history, science or cultural - they shape or reinforce views. Thus if the information retrieved is false or incomplete, the damage can be irrevocable (first impressions tending to persist).

And whilst you can argue that something like Hackers is rather harmless in its portrayal of hacking as some ubercool magic VR nonsense, the insidious false reality of most films appears to go unnoticed. Take Braveheart for instance, a film that is utterly irresponsible in how badly it portrays actual history events and has the gall to have a narrator tell you that it's the 'true story' and that the English are lying.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

Having stupid nonsensical computer interfaces and code scrolling by totally pulls you out of the narrative every time.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/smiles/notsureifserious.jpg
I guess I always reacted to coding the same way I do when someone says a 555 phone number. Usually it flashes by so fast, the shot is there to say "they're coding", it accomplishes it, and we move on.
If you've got a consultant on board who wants to whip some up, sure, but it's a detail I've never focused much on.
Except Hackers. Their cute little backdoor hacking apps are hilarious.
And I've often wondered just how one reads Matrix code (is a blonde a stream of symbols or just one character on the top of a stream?), but w/e.

Last edited by Vapes (2014-02-20 01:11:21)

"Defending bad movies is VaporTrail's religion."
-DorkmanScott

redxavier wrote:

If you assume that people won't care, then eventually they won't care as laziness breeds laziness. Every time you think that people won't notice, you're just giving yourself an excuse.

Such is the nature of Robert Rodriguez's work as the years go by. sad

The other side of this is the prevalence of misinformation in movies and its potential danger. Like it or not, films have tremendous power and influence over a lot of people, and every time these misrepresent something - whether it be history, science or cultural - they shape or reinforce views. Thus if the information retrieved is false or incomplete, the damage can be irrevocable (first impressions tending to persist).

This is generally how I feel about the sad state of affairs that is spelling and grammar, but I digress.

Getting on topic about the actual film, the panel talks about the flashbacks with the love interests as children, thus establishing their relationship and how much they love each other, and how you don't need those scenes because you can easily get all of that across in their interactions as adults.

For me, Elysium pulls this kind of crap IMMEDIATELY. It opens with info-text, explaining how bad things are on Earth and then SHOWS us the poverty-stricken conditions people are living in. The next thing we see is more info-text, telling us about the privileged, ring-world of Elysium, in space. Then, they SHOW IT! I don't know if this was a studio mandate or a pre-existing thing in the script but much like the theatrical cuts of Blade Runner, Dark City and Looper, this film treats the audience like they're dumber than soup mix, with opening info-dumps via text or narration that we don't need because THAT'S WHAT THE MOVIE IS FOR! THEY'RE CALLED MOTION PICTURES FOR A REASON! Or, in short, SHOW DON'T TELL!

I think that's one of Elysium's core problems. It's redundant as all hell. That's why the Mini-Boss gets killed, only to be resurrected so he can BE KILLED AGAIN! And for what? Michael Bay's version of Mike Tyson's Punch-Out? Oh, and swords! Don't forget swords! It's that mentality that a lot of filmmakers have these days (Robert Rodriguez, Edgar Wright, Paul W.S. Anderson, McG, Michael Bay, etc.), where they're so obsessed with doing things because it's cool or clever, they stop worrying about what's necessary or practical for the sake of their characters, story and plot.

Hopefully, this will just be a case of the Sophomore Slump for Blomkamp and his next venture will lean more towards smart, insightful science fiction and he can fulfill the promise he showed with District 9.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Good point about the opening text info-dump, totally unnecessary. It's interesting to contrast with the opening info-dump of Oblivion, which at least is justifiable in that movie because

SPOILER Show
it's all bullshit that the character giving the exposition has been told, so it's a decent way to misdirect the audience for awhile since we usually take the opening exposition as truth.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ok so I was confused by one comment you guys did. In the movie *I* saw, Jodie Foster DID have a very thick (and not terribly authentic) French accent.... do you Ammurrcans get a re-dubbed version where she speaks all yankee-doodly-like!?

Also, the scene you were hunting for (Where Robo-Charlto learns about the code mcguffin) is there in the movie. It makes no SENSE (he is tracking/somehow remote-scanning Robo-Daemon, and up pops a *scan of the code*... he looks at the code and somehow automatically realizes "Oh, If I change President=RoboCharlto I will rewl".... and  ...as a programmer, this is broken on so many levels of crazy when it comes to "code" (why does code do that, if they can READ the code they already HAVE the code, how can you by reading a screenful of assembly language determine that is what it does, yada yada yada)) ....but it DOES provide the "plot point" you guys where hunting....

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap (2014-02-20 09:01:10)

Thumbs up Thumbs down