Re: Guardians of the Galaxy

Saw it after work today. Fun. Not perfect, no, but fun. I was very amused at how simple the story was: guy wants to kill everyone on a planet. Why? Because. Moving on. No moral ambiguity.

Nah, you know they'll have RDJ and Chris Evans on solid-gold leashes until the end of time.

I remember RDJ back when the first Iron Man movie came out that he thought he had a certain time frame, maybe 5 or 6 years, in which he thought he'd be young enough to play the character. I think the actors all signed five movie contracts, and with Avengers 2 that will be RDJ's final one with that deal. He may do more, he may not. Marvel has to be thinking long term, though.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We're talking about a company that rebooted Spiderman with an entirely new cast only five years after the previous incarnation.   They'll keep all their current roster grinding out movies as long as they can because that's easiest.  But as soon as anyone can't or won't show up, Marvel will replace/reboot with new actors. 

The evidence clearly shows audiences will still keep coming, no matter what.   Pretty sure Marvel isn't worried at ALL about the individual actors.  And they don't have to be.   There've been, what, seven Batmans in my lifetime?  And that's just so far.

Trey wrote:

We're talking about a company that rebooted Spiderman with an entirely new cast only five years after the previous incarnation.

Nope, different company. That's Sony. This is Marvel/Disney. Now, Warners/DC will change actors every year smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's a co-production, yes, although Marvel's still involved.  Either way, the precedent is there to show the actor doesn't matter, just the property.  And Marvel's already replaced supporting actors in their own solo movies without anybody giving a darn. 

Twitter will light up for a couple weeks when they announce the new Iron Man actor someday.  But unless the bottom falls out of the superhero movie market entirely, the new movie will make a half billion like always. smile

The thing about many comic super heroes is different people play the part in the comics themselves (one reason the animated Justice League was able to have a Black Green Lantern). So, they may just have someone else take over in continuity. Or, hell, retire that hero for a few years. It's not like they have a lack of ones to make movies about.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

It's a co-production, yes, although Marvel's still involved.

Nope.  They're not involved.  Like, at ALL.  Marvel Studios has absolutely zero say in what Sony does with Spider Man and with what Fox does with X-Men.  If they did, Spider Man and Wolverine would both be in Avengers movies tomorrow (because in the comics at least, they're Avengers).  It is for this reason why Marvel Studios, as we know it in its post 2006 iterations, exist at all.  Time for some history, kids.

Go back to 1996.  Marvel Comics, for a multitude of reasons we'll just sum up as, "The 90's, am I right," declares bankruptcy.  Avi Arad was the co-owner of Toy Biz, who had been doing all of Marvel's toy licensing, successfully maneuvers himself onto Marvel's Board of Directors, and founds Marvel Studios (formerly Marvel Films) as a way to make some fast cash for the failing company.  He licenses out Blade to New Line and does decent business, causing other studios to get interested.  Arad helped snag Singer for X Men, which helped broker the Fox deal, and soon after got Spider Man to Sony, partially off the back of James Cameron's work on his never fully developed Spider Man treatment.  Arad's number one goal was simply getting cash for Marvel and getting it the fuck out of the red, so he had no problem loaning our characters to different studios.  The problem with these deals is that they were licensing deals, with very little in terms of back end profit.  Marvel made money off other licensing, but they're share of GBO was virtually non existent.

After a failed mass licensing of characters to, fucking get this, ARTISAN PICTURES, a now reinvigorated Marvel was realizing just how much money they were losing by not developing these films themselves.  After disagreements on the nature of these deals, Arad left on 2006 to set up his own shingle, and Feige was put in charge.  His vision was to create an ACTUAL movie studio with a Marvel brain trust (guys like Joe Quesada and Brian Michael Bendis, and now Ed Brubaker) to guide the overall arcs of these characters, partner with distinct directors and writers, cover most of developmental, and rely on larger studios primarily for co financing and distribution.  The Disney sale didn't really impact their workflow too much; they had to buy out the distro deal with Paramount (made post Arad) but nothing could be done about the deals with Fox or Sony.  As long as they make movies from those properties every few years (which is the REAL reason Spider Man got a reboot, because Raimi didn't wan tot do it anymore and no other director wanted to continue his work and they were about to lose the license back to Marvel) those characters are locked in indefinitely.

So, what creative control does Marvel comics have over Sony's Spider Man or Fox's X-Men or Fantastic Four?  Not fucking much.  If there's a scene where Spider Man bludgeons Aunt May with a tire iron, Marvel could sue for IP damages, but that's about it.  Rumblings I've heard is that Quesada fucking HATED the last two Spider Man movies, but the X Men First Class and DoFP are pretty well respected. 

tl;dr version: If Marvel/Disney had any creative control over non MS films, they would have exercised prior to the Disney sale.

Last edited by Eddie (2014-08-03 16:24:37)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +7 Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

[rocket] / the animation

Didn't look like they were using dynamic fur sims for most of Rocket's shots. Which doesn't help.

And making a photoreal Musteloid mouth keyframe to human mouth shapes is superhard bordering impossible.

So when those waves crash against the animation school shore of Tippetts-logic-of-motion-as-god...

yeah I get it.

EDIT: It's the sort of tradeoff that grants the only reasonable concession for why the new Ninja Turtles mouths look how they do.

Last edited by paulou (2014-08-04 01:39:05)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Just saw it, and I'm gonna be in the very slim minority here, because, while I would by no means call it bad, I just didn't care for the film. It was certainly witty, but it was witty without possessing any humanity. I was amused by what the characters said, but I couldn't have given less of a damn about any of them. I was more invested in The Amazing Spider-Man II than I was in this movie, and I have an equal degree of unfamiliarity with each of the films' source material, so it's not just that. I think a large part of it has to do with the fact that, for all ASMII's flaws, Peter and Gwen felt like real people with real emotions and relationships, and none of GotG's characters had that reality for me. The WTF-ness of the plot that Trey mentioned earlier certainly contributed to that feeling. Also, I think I'm just burned out on this kind of movie. Oh no, a new villain with no backstory and a desire to destroy an entire planet must be stopped. Again. And we will stop him in battle sequences full of over-the-top CGI and no real sense of danger for anyone. I've never been a fan of that kind of film to begin with, and I guess the catalyst for my getting utterly fed up with it had the misfortune of being this movie.

Last edited by Abbie (2014-08-04 04:14:59)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saw it on Thursday morning with my daughter (it opened a day earlier here in the UK) and really didn't feel like I had much to add to the discussion, but figured I'd chip in just to sort of keep Darth company.  I liked it, but I wanted to love it and didn't.

Perhaps because I'd heard from reviews that the plot was kind of complicated, I actually made an effort to follow it, and that was possibly a mistake because I really felt the Marvel-itis.  Many of the 'layers' to the plot didn't feel organic, but rather seemed to arise from the need to service previous and future entries, so the complexity seemed unnecessary. 

And for me Darth is spot on about battle sequences and the lack of danger in particular.  I thought there were too many of them (partly as a consequence of the plot complexity) and, like him, maybe this film just happened to be the tipping point, but every time I thought "Ok, here we go.  Another consequence-free cartoon to watch for 10 minutes." 

In the end, I think my overall feeling was more vague and diffuse frustration, but then maybe it's just because I'm a glass-half-empty kind of guy.  It felt like the people involved actually knew how to make a good movie, and sort of did.  The 'character scenes' were in general good (though I really felt a split between the 'character scenes' and the 'action scenes').  If they'd just had more scope to develop the characters (particularly the bad guys), it could have been really great instead of likeable enough.

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

http://www.shortpacked.com/comics/1407086223-2014-08-04-exhibit.png

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down

I loved Guardians of the Galaxy! Most fun I've had at the theater in a decade. It was kinda like 'Big Trouble In Little China' in space.

I liked it a lot. It pulled off that great Ratchet and Clank vibe.

I do see where Praxus and sellew are coming from. I had a lot of those same thoughts, but I was having enough fun that I could sort of ignore them. Probably not my favorite of the year, but I'll definitely appreciate this movie before I criticize it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I had a lot of fun with it tonight. It's quite goofy in spots, particularly the key climactic moment that was right out of a cartoon.

Show
Yoo hoo! Look at me! I'm creating a distraction with my silly dancing!

I actually feel like they didn't nail ANY of the main characters. Star-Lord was a little too goofy and self-aware for someone who grew up among pirates. Gamora was a little too nothing. Drax just didn't quite nail the acting. Rocket was fine, but I second the feeling that something was off and that Buscemi's nasally drollness would have fit better. Groot worked best, but the I-only-say-my-name thing made him basically Chewbacca (altho his stuff certainly gives the movie heart). And something about Ronan kept making me go "Nope. He's not selling the monstrous bad guy thing. He's just a guy in a costume."

The plot was such sci-fi babble that I didn't even understand what Benicio del Toro was talking about WHILE he was actively explaining it. (There's a small stone that will destroy a planet if it even touches it, but you can hold it in your hand for a little while?) And yet, I got the idea that Magic 8-Ball=bad and all those guys who want it are bad, so it ultimately worked okay.

I tell you one thing that I like a lot, and that was Karen Gillan as Nebula. I kept thinking "Who is this gorgeous, exotic babe playing the badass blue chick?"

And then you've got Djimon Hounsou, Michael Rooker, Glenn Close, John C Reilly, Peter Serafinowicz... They're like five Lando Calrissians. They're for us, they're against us, they're important, they're a distraction... I don't know.

Like I said, I ultimately liked the movie and want to see more of these characters. But it was all a bit spongy and too often crossed the line to being goofy, a line that Firefly (which this reminded me quite a lot of, as well as Doctor Who) skirted and always managed to avoid crossing.

Last edited by Zarban (2014-08-05 05:06:58)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

I tell you one thing that I like a lot, and that was Karen Gillan as Nebula. I kept thinking "Who is this gorgeous, exotic babe playing the badass blue chick?"

I was thinking the same thing, and I made my conclusion pretty early on. I spent the whole movie thinking that it was Rachael Leigh Cook.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't see how this plot is that complicated. MacGuffin orb is worth a lot of money, but it turns out that if the bad guy gets the MacGuffin orb, Bad Things will happen, so the bad guy must be stopped.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

ShadowDuelist wrote:

I don't see how this plot is that complicated. MacGuffin orb is worth a lot of money, but it turns out that if the bad guy gets the MacGuffin orb, Bad Things will happen, so the bad guy must be stopped.

And there are also two daughters of this guy called Thanos, only they aren't his daughters really, and they're working for Ronan because reasons...

Quite honestly, that whole subplot is the film's weakest link for me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:
Zarban wrote:

I spent the whole movie thinking that it was Rachael Leigh Cook.

Ditto. I felt like my brain tricked me into thinking it was Josie the Pussycat. My mind was a little blown when I read that Lee Pace was Ronan. Ned the Piemaker as an evil alien dude? Never would've called that in a million years.

Just got back from seeing it for our Team Building and really enjoyed it! Don't really have much to say about it other than that, honestly. Good intro to characters I've never heard of or seen before and I'm looking forward to seeing them again.

Though I feel like I'm in the minority saying that the first Iron Man has been my favorite out of ALL the Marvel films.. Nothing has topped that on my list yet.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Like I said, I ultimately liked the movie and want to see more of these characters.

Something else I really liked that primed me for a sequel: Quill's present. Talk about nailing something. That actually had me just about cheering.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Darth Praxus wrote:

And there are also two daughters of this guy called Thanos, only they aren't his daughters really, and they're working for Ronan because reasons...

Thanos is a dick and no one likes him, even his adopted daughters, but he's powerful and scary so people do what he says, unless they have a way to protect themselves from him (like the MacGuffin orb).

Darth Praxus wrote:

Quite honestly, that whole subplot is the film's weakest link for me.

Agreed, and if they weren't trying to build up to the infinity gauntlet they could cut Thanos and most of this subplot from the film, and the film would probably be better for it. But Marvel's gotta Marvel, and as long as the rest of the movie is good I'm willing to put up with it.

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I get the feeling that they put Thanos at the end of Avengers expecting him to be the Big Bad for Avengers 2, but they changed their minds somewhere along the way. So they threw him in Guardians so that audiences wouldn't forget about him and took the opportunity to introduce the Infinity Stones while they were at it.

IMO, the worst part about Thanos was Josh Brolin. He was just...not bringing it at all. You expect a dude who looks like Thanos to sound like James Earl Jones or something. I think they made a bad call casting him.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:

The plot.

Spoiler Show
Thanos is a big bad guy. Ronan is a religious zealot bad guy. If Ronan gets the orb for him, Thanos will break a heretic planet for Ronan. (I think it is implied that Ronan believes Thanos can do this himself and the orb is a separate thing)

Thanos wants the orb, regardless. He sends two women to help get it. One hates him and is waiting for a chance to get away from him. One hates him and is resigned to her fate. The one who wants to get away made a deal to sell the orb and double-cross everyone.

As she is selling it, she realizes it is not a Christmas tree ornament. She decides selling it is bad. Then, Ronan takes it.

Ronan decides to use the orb himself. He survives. He drives to the heretic planet. He gets to the planet. He is distracted and drops the orb.

The princess gives Luke and Han medals and Chewbacca yells.

Yes, a lot is going on. That doesn't make it bad in my book. And, I had no problem following it.

The real issue for me was already mentioned: acting and balancing the ensemble. I still liked it, though.

Yes, the bad guy could have been fleshed out more. But, I'm glad they didn't; What do you know about Darth Vader in A New Hope? He kills guys and wears black. Done.

As for consequences -Spoiler- Show
I never once thought this was the story of a bunch of guys who died. I never though Crosby and Hope would die in a "Road to..." movie either. I don't think anyone would advertize a bunch of heroic deaths with 'Hooked on a Feeling'. Maybe, if I'm lucky, some filmmaker will surprise me.

Also, Peter Serafinowicz's character dies in a second Marvel movie. And, I Fucking Cared. I felt bad that he was crushed to death and exploded. So...consequences.

Last edited by Jp12x (2014-08-06 05:52:36)

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

Honestly, thanks for that write-up.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

Honestly, thanks for that write-up.

I may do more, then. I recently watched my copy of Captain America 2. My third time with the film. It still holds up. Since it's basically a political thriller, it was fun for me to work through who-knew-what-when. And, it works. I really have only two big bads for it: My constant film companion, people jumping through 2, 1/4 inch tempered glass window panes ...and... they enter a bunker, take the elevator down, and exit at ground level. And, I didn't notice that one on the first viewing.

Last edited by Jp12x (2014-08-06 06:07:49)

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

Quoted from the chat for posterity.

"It was exactly and entirely everything I hoped it would be."

I LOVED this movie. Every single bit of it. It's exactly the sort of movie I've been pinning for for a very long while, and it delivered on every single front.

I'll do a longer write up when it's not 1 in the morning, but damn, that was beautiful.*

*And I don't just mean Karen Gillan...although yes... yowza.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-08-08 06:56:33)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I liked it, but didn't love it. I can't really explain why I left a little unsatisfied (though the awful post-credits sequence probably helped), the humour was good (though maybe too frequent) and the action was exciting (if a little too screen-filled and overwhelming). The dialogue was superb but the plot wasn't very good. Needlessly complicated and missing key beats. Also, it felt like a smashing together of ideas seen elsewhere - Star Wars, Serenity, Chronicles of Riddick and Spaceballs being the ones that to come mind most readily.

I couldn't help but feel that I was missing out on a lot of the nuance of the setting, not having read anything about these particular characters. To be honest, at about 20 minutes or so, I was completely lost as to who was who and how all these planets related to each other. Whilst you can get away with more when you set your movie on Earth, you don't really have the luxury of skipping a prologue (LOTR) or some sort of monologue narration (Serenity) when your entire galaxy is a mess of new terms, planets, races and organisations.

And here is another big movie where the climax involves thousands of innocents dying and the heroes failing to protect them. Half the city was destroyed by Ronan's ship and yet there was no attempt to divert it or even acknowledge that it was going to crash on the city.

Maybe that's it, I don't think the ending battle was put together well at all. Seemingly significant actions lack context to make them significant (e.g. The Pointless Net of Ships), actions are dicated but aren't seen to be occuring (people aren't evacuated), the goodies lack powerful defenses or capital ships or don't use them, duels occur but don't resolve, an at-this-point virtually all-powerful villain stands around/or hides behind a wall, there's no plan to actually deal with Ronan etc. 

To my mind, the film needed to establish the Nova corps better and show them to be powerful force that are clearly superior to Ronan's forces. I didn't buy that Ronan couldn't wipe them out without the stone or Thanos' help (which is the entire driving force of the story), as just his ship and nondescript army practically curb stomp a reinforced corps. The film needed an early scene where Ronan is forced to retreat from the Nova guys, making his search for the stone his motivation and placing his eventual acquisition of it into the context of major shift in the balance of power. Yet instead, Ronan goes from place to place without any fear or Nova corps interference. Why does he need Thanos' help again?

Lastly, it doesn't bode well for the uber-villain that you're building up as a key player in future movies when you have him do literally nothing and drop out of your story when a formerly cowed minion gives him the middle finger.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down