Topic: Groundhog Day

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Groundhog Day

It's interesting. This is one of those movies which, while I know it's probably great, I've never had any interest in watching. Nothing about the idea was something I could see myself caring about. I'll have to see if I wait for the Netflix DVD, or just listen to the commentary without the film.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Watch it first.

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

That was fun! Thanks for having me, boys!

Mind in the gutter, head in the clouds

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I thought Brian got kinda short shrift re his observation about the film endorsing Cartesian substance dualism.  That's an interesting point that I hadn't really noticed before.  If Bill Murray starts each new day without a hangover, not dead, etc. etc., but retaining at least some aspects of conscious experience like memories, then mental states clearly can't be supervenient on physical states. 

That's a bold statement, as John Travolta would say, but not entirely without historical precedent.  However, you're going to run into the usual problem, which is explaining the causal efficacy of mental states, and the film never really addresses...hey wait, where are you taking me?!?!?  I do not need a rest!!  Why does this ambulance have mattresses on the walls?!?....

For the next hour, everything in this post is strictly based on the available facts.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Here's how I always saw the "time travel" thing:

It seems like the day resetting, but really he's just jumping timelines. Every morning, he jumps to a new timeline, which he can change as he wishes. When the day is over, he disappears from that timeline. Or if he dies, he dies. Eventually he does the right thing, and he gets to stay in that timeline.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

Here's how I always saw the "time travel" thing:

It seems like the day resetting, but really he's just jumping timelines. Every morning, he jumps to a new timeline, which he can change as he wishes. When the day is over, he disappears from that timeline. Or if he dies, he dies. Eventually he does the right thing, and he gets to stay in that timeline.

It's quite simple. In an infinite universe all possible variations of matter exist. If my calculations are correct, you just have to align the phase transitions with the output of the quantum vortex generator after computing the hyper-spatial inter-dimensional manifold flux, then integrating for the supersymmetric field lines, being careful to avoid the propensity for asymptotic singularities to form between collapsed membranes.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great job, as always, guys.

Regarding the Muppets, I believe the movies are meant to be movies produced by the characters of The Muppet Show. On the show, you see what happens backstage. The movies, though, feature different names and relationships (including Kermit and Fozzy being brothers). That's why each movie can have different themes and styles (Miss Piggy can be a damsel in one and an action heroine in another). And The Muppet Movie is my favorite.

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

"Today, I'll dip my dick in a puddle." -Meghan

More Meghan, please?

Also, I'm glad Dorkman brought up the TV-movie, 12:01. It's pretty good and anyone who likes Groundhog Day should check it out.

I'm gonna be THAT GUY and admit I really enjoyed Muppets From Space. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There will be so much more Meghan.

There will be at least one more Meghan.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Have me Meghan Eddie so Upstream Color and fuck y'all.

srry drunks

Thumbs up +5 Thumbs down

I want to -- I dunno, apologize? Acknowledge? -- my total failure to respect the moment of silence for Mr. Ramis' cameo. After five years doing the show it was an automatic response to dead air to QUICK SAY SOMETHING

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dorkman wrote:

Watch it first.

Too late smile the DVD seems to be "long wait" at Netflix, and I didn't feel like going a month before listening to the episode.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulou wrote:

srry drunks

In.  In.  Such In.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great Episode Guys!!
I just want to say that this is one of my all time fav movies,
along with one of my fav time travel movies, or which I am a fan.

There is a movie, (it really isn't anything like "Groundhog", but I just happened
upon it recently) that I think some of you if not all would love.
Its a Spanish movie from 2007 called "Timecrimes".
It deals with causality like BTTF, Looper, Groundhog,  but unlike those movies,
it has my other favorite plot device, which is the movie takes place in about
real time, or close to it, IIRC I would say maybe over 2-3hrs or so.
I think the ending is clever and unexpected, and you really feel for this poor
guy and is situation. It isnt on Netflix, I downloaded, but if you are against
that sort of thing, then I am sure that Amazon has it cheap.
You may have hears about it already, since I see that Cronenberg is
going to remake it. I am all for remakes, but like the "Rec" movies, this
does not need a remake, watch the original people.
(I watched Quarantine just because of Dexters sis was in it, what a horrible shot for shot
remake, they could have just done a decent dub job on Rec and put in a wide release,
take a chance studios, damn)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:
paulou wrote:

srry drunks

In.  In.  Such In.

I am so immensely into this.

On the next "Friends in Your Head": Listen to Meghan, Paulou, and Eddie discuss quantum physics and the metaphysical soul for 2 hours.

Last edited by Meghan Mayhem (2014-03-15 20:44:58)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:

I'm gonna be THAT GUY and admit I really enjoyed Muppets From Space. smile

Also, best thing about Muppets in Space? Guest performane by my bffffff Pepe the King Prawn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F40E5MBEU8

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Meghan Mayhem wrote:
Eddie wrote:
paulou wrote:

srry drunks

In.  In.  Such In.

I am so immensely into this.

On the next "Friends in Your Head": Listen to Meghan, Paulou, and Eddie discuss quantum physics and the metaphysical soul for 2 hours.

And American Transcendentalism. And delineations of "nature." And the illusion of self. And cute piggies.

And ooohhhhh man, Amy Seimetz.

Teague, sign off on this for next week or you'll wake up in a car on the median strip of a freeway. My head is made of the same material as the sun.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh my god yes. Yes yes yes.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To Hell with Upstream Color, I am waiting for "The Sacrament" to come out,
the next Ti West movie, which also stars Amy Seimetz

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I haven't liked anything Ti West has done so far. Even his ABCs of Death segment was garbage.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well played Netflix, well played!
http://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t31/p180x540/1781730_530299710423726_440034506_o.jpg

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I haven't liked anything Ti West has done so far.

Then I'd say you're doing it wrong. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Innkeepers was an exercise in extreme boredom. He took the wrong lesson from Jaws. Instead of teasing the monster and not revealing it until the end, he fucks around for like 90 minutes and then does some actual ghost stuff in the climax. His VHS segment was more of the same. 10 minutes of nothing and then a meaningless "twist." His ABCs of Death short was a fart. Haven't seen his other stuff but I'm not interested in seeking it out.

But hey, if you dig him, cool. That's one Happiness Point you've got over me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Agree with Dr Sub, I gathered that these would most likely be multiple timelines that Bill restarts at the common point.

I wonder about the day after stories for each version? Are there multiple Bill Murrays that continue into each of the 10,000year threads? Feel sad for the douchey ones living on with the consequences of the reset Bill's actions.

Thumbs up Thumbs down