Topic: Passing the Torch

This trend the studios/filmmakers sometimes try to squeeze more money out their properties by "passing the torch" to a younger actors like what they tried to do with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. Dumb and Dumber comes to mind (Dumb and Dumberer) plus a some of other Jim Carrey movies that failed a well (Mask, Ace Ventura)

The Ghostbusters 3 was/is supposed to be handing the torch over to a younger generation. Now this sounds terrible to me. But my question is. Why do the studios keep on trying this? Has there ever been a successful "Passing of the Torch" in cinema? TV seems to be a bit better suited for it but has any movie franchise ever successfully pulled it off?

The only example I kind of liked was a tongue in cheek meta "Have fun" scene early in The Rundown.

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

Re: Passing the Torch

Brands and characters and franchises are easily mined for value with minimal marketing reinforcement. In a lot of cases they already have traction in the minds of at least one generation.

Keep something around long enough to have that generation introduce it to their children, you've successfully woven your franchises into the fabric of the culture and duped the entire world in to thinking Star Wars and fifty year old superheroes are interesting or relevant ad infinitum.

...I'm not bitter.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In many western countries, the youth doesn't have the free disposable income they used to have a generation ago (falling real wages, student loans, higher unemployment). I wonder if the torch is going to be passed more from west to east. We're already seeing many tentpoles set a scene or two in China.
Perhaps in 50 years, all the big franchises we know will have Asian cast members.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, it seems to have worked alright for James Bond, though there hasn't been a big gap between those films over the years. So while the actors pass the torch, most of the audience already knows the franchise.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There was the hint of an attempt at this with Star Trek. When they brought the show back with the first movie, you had two new characters, Decker and the bald woman. They were gone at the end of the movie. Then, Savak was brought in... and then written out after two films and one scene in Voyage Home. There's no reason they couldn't have kept these characters and kept the film series fresh by rotating crew in and out. Well, apart from actor ego and the fans, that is smile

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

On the subject of Star Trek, does the Abrams reboot count? It's meant to be the same characters, but Leonard Nimoy showed up to pass the torch to Zachary Quinto and the other young'uns, in a sense. I still love Star Trek '09 even if Into Darkness was a disaster, so I'd call that a successful attempt, if it counts. It's the only one I can think of.

Well, and Ghostbusters actually already tried it in the 90's with The Extreme Ghostbusters, where Egon, Janine, and Slimer were on hand to train and support a crew of new, totally radical ghostbusting twenty-somethings. I liked it well enough as a kid, but I haven't gone back to revisit it as an adult. Though even as a child my favorite story was the two-parter where Peter, Ray, and Winston came back.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Star Trek: Generations, obviously. Passing the torch on to a new series of great movies  big_smile

X-Files.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah I'll take Star Trek as one but it is so rooted in TV that it's not a pure example of what I'm thinking about.
But I'll give Star Trek that it did it well.

Star Wars seems to be heading down that road and like Ghostbusters I have a bad feeling about it.

One meta example a friend mentioned to me was ‘After Earth’ where Will Smith was going to pass the action hero torch to  Jaden. What a mess that turned out to be.

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

AshDigital wrote:

Yeah I'll take Star Trek as one but it is so rooted in TV that it's not a pure example of what I'm thinking about.
But I'll give Star Trek that it did it well.

Star Wars seems to be heading down that road and like Ghostbusters I have a bad feeling about it.

One meta example a friend mentioned to me was ‘After Earth’ where Will Smith was going to pass the action hero torch to  Jaden. What a mess that turned out to be.

This is just my opinion, but it strikes me that Will Smith is grooming his soon to be in that spot but that he hasn't completely given up the throne yet, so to speak. I think he will, at some point, make it all official, because I see passings of the torch becoming more familial in Hollywood, due to the money and ability to train at the moment.

Also, Star Trek, in my opinion, did ok, but it could have been better. The Kirk and Picard moment was a brief moment centered in a poor movie, so it really lacks a certain luster or passing on that could have been done so much more. Star Trek 2009 did a better job with the Spocks than Generations handled Kirk and Spock. Even DS9 had an episode where Sisko met Kirk and that seemed to work better.

I know this is a TV example so it doesn't quite meet the criteria you laid out but I will throw it out there: Stargate franchise has done very well in having "pass the torch" moments from lead to lead. Richard Dean Anderson has done well to be apart of Ben Browder's taking over as the lead, as well as Beau Bridges becoming the CO of the Stargate Command. Much more respect there given to both RDA's past performance and the potential for the new cast.

Star Wars could go either way. It all depends on what story and what role the old cast play.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

paulou wrote:

Brands and characters and franchises are easily mined for value with minimal marketing reinforcement. In a lot of cases they already have traction in the minds of at least one generation.

Keep something around long enough to have that generation introduce it to their children, you've successfully woven your franchises into the fabric of the culture and duped the entire world in to thinking Star Wars and fifty year old superheroes are interesting or relevant ad infinitum.

...I'm not bitter.

I'm growing increasingly aware of this.  It's why I don't turn stuff on for Grayson apropos of nothing.  His favorite show right now is Team UmiZoomi which is an introduction to toddler level STEM and I'm ecstatic he responds to it, even though I have no interface value with it. 

I watch fights pretty regularly, and more often than not, Grayson will come sit down next to me and just watch with me.  I'm going to approach my cultural interests the same way.  Star Wars, Bruce Lee, all the things I love will certainly be on the shelf and come down from time to time, but nothing is more sacred than the stuff he'll find on his own.  Same thing with baby number 2.

Oh yeah, there's a baby number two on the way.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

I trust you're going to go all Charlie Chan, and introduce your children as "Baby Number One, Baby Number Two", etc.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down