Topic: Labyrinth...I'm gonna need your guys help on this one... (Spoilers...)

So I've started going through my personal suggest a movie thread, so far I've covered Girlfriend Experience (Not horrible, but hey Sacha Grey, so you know awesome!) and then I got to Labyrinth...and had one giant WTF?!?!?! experience.

Honestly, everything about this movie screams that I should love the shit out of it, David Bowie, Muppets, fantasy worlds, labyrinth and the list goes on. But the entire time I was just...bleh about it.

I spent the entire thing just going, okay? why should I care? I mean she accidentally makes some Goblin lord kidnap her baby brother and then has to go rescue him...which apparently Gareth doesn't want yet he still sends her to his castle... (I mean seriously Gareth? You wanna know what would make it really hard for her to rescue him? Just don't take her to your castle!)

I'm sorta with it up to now, but then pretty much the rest of the movie is randomly inserted music video moments of David Bowie songs, and seeing weird shit around every corner. That I mean while cool on their own (Sorta) they don't serve any purpose other than to add more characters for the dance party at the end and extend the run time. Granted she meets and picks up new friends quicker than Alice, which is cool, I guess, if that's what you're into (Insert some kind of slut joke here)

And I mean aren't these kinds of stories usually meant to test the will of our main character? But I mean seriously what does she actually do? She picks the "wrong" path at the start, she picks the "wrong" door (After seemingly looking clever), stealing her "firends" most valuble possessions and then chasing her baby brother across Gareths Escher inspired castle until...she recites a line from a play and his entire reality disintegrates and she gets to go home?

I mean all the really hard parts are covered by her friends, so in effect she really doesn't do much of anything except go along for the ride complaining a lot.

So we go through the everything, and recite the... line from a play that is apparently Gareths one weakness (While uncovering Gareths pedophilia in the process (always fun!)). And then we go homeand have a dance party...honestly..WTF?!?!?!

Can someone please, for the love of god, explain to me why this is a good movie???

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that she LITERALLY eats the poison apple, but it's not really that bad, she just gets to go on a fun little acid trip, dance with David Bowie and sleep in her own bed for a little bit...oookkaaaaay?

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2010-05-31 22:35:02)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Re: Labyrinth...I'm gonna need your guys help on this one... (Spoilers...)

I'm trying to convince Cloe (who you'll soon know from the Pan's Labyrinth commentary) to register and answer your questions. I've never seen it myself, but you worry me, because I agree on all of the things you feel like you should like about the movie.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That would be awesome, cause she kinda sounded like she knew what she was talking about in Pans, (Although, on the whole I have a looooot of quams with that one in general, mostly unanswered questions, (that is, unless you answered them in the missing wrap up))

Anyways, yah, I'd been wanting to get around to this one for a while, and I mean I thought I would love it, and everyone I've ever heard talk about it loves it. So I'm seriously just wondering wtf?

I wonder if it's just one of those childhood things, where everyone just grew up loving this movie and thats sorta stuck... hmm

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I don't know. I have a friend for whom Labyrinth was his favorite movie. When he said that (15 years ago, now), I was like, "What? Seriously?" For me it was always one of those forgettable fantasy world movies like Legend and The Last Unicorn, and one that I always assumed was made for teenage girls.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Actually yeah - the dividing line between Pan's Labyrinth and Labyrinth is extremely thin.   They share a lot of the same problems - most everything maul2 just said about Labyrinth applies to Pan's Labyrinth as well.  Both movies are a lot of cool visuals in service of a story that doesn't hold together.   

And fairy tales - which both movies pretend to be - should be the simplest, most straightforward kinds of stories, all about action and consequence and overcoming a problem and learning a lesson therefrom.   

But instead, both Labyrinths are a collection of near-random events that meander about until they decide to roll the credits and let you get on with your life.    It's odd that the Henson people didn't sue del Toro for plagiarism.

Last edited by Trey (2010-05-31 23:21:03)

I haven't seen Labyrinth — not Pan's, the first one — in years, so I'd need to go back and watch it before speaking intelligently about it. But in the interest of spamming up the forum and just generally being a pain, I'll share two things about that movie that have stuck with me ever since.

First: Jennifer Connelly in that movie literally got me through puberty.

Second: I can't explain it, and I don't know why, but for some reason Ludo is just an awesome character. The very first thing I did when I read this thread title was involuntarily belt out, in the voice and everything, "SMELL BAD!" Ludo's awesome. I love Ludo.

But honestly? I think my affection for the film mostly springs from point one.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alright I'll give yah that yes, Ludo is awesome. But you know, it's the same as Pan's the creatures on thier own are awesome, it would just be great if they had a point.

But honestly (Despite the fact that she's like, 16 in Labyrinth) she really doesn't do much for me.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2010-06-01 00:02:56)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I was only fourteen. Jennifer Connelly was an exotic and experienced woman of the world to me in those days.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Target.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Coming at this movie for the first time as an adult might be some of the problem. As a teen, I thought it was great. As an adult, it may require putting myself back into that mindset. I'll have to re-watch it. Labyrinth, though, has the major problem of being a response to Dark Crystal. THAT is the direction Henson wanted to go in, and you can sense him pulling back this time and trying to make something audiences would accept more. "Ok, we have a teen girl, a rock star... how dark can I still make it and have the sucker make a profit?"

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

In response to Maul2's original query:

Okay, here it is, the first time I lay myself open to being wrong on the interwebs in my writing. How critical I am of a story seems to depend on how seriously a movie takes itself; Pan’s Labyrinth was a serious Film with a capital F, with no puppets that looked like foam balls with slits for mouths or googly eyes singing wacky songs that would appeal to small children. It did, however, have graphic violence making some edgy statement about how mean fascists were during the 40’s. That is seriously the only coherent message I can get from this obviously-not-child oriented-movie.

I place Labyrinth on the same level that I do Muppet Treasure Island. You want to poke holes in those stories, I’m not going to stop you. I will still dance around my mother's living room with my little brother, who is the most serious 21 year old astrophysics major I have ever known, singing “Dance Magic, Dance,” and sit in unabashed wonder of various prop/puppet design and David Bowie’s mullet/package/contact juggling.

Aside: Yes, I know that’s actually Michael Moschen inelegantly standing behind David Bowie as though in a middle school talent show, I still learned to contact juggle because of that movie. I also quote Muppet Treasure Island on an almost daily basis. Still feelin’ pretty cool.

I agree, through some combination of an 80’s synth pop soundtrack/ musical landscape and a blatantly cartoon ensemble, the stakes never seem that high in Labyrinth. This movie suffers in part from what I call “The Goonie Phenomena”; if you saw Goonies before the age of 10 or so it has a special place in your heart and makes you (like me) squeal and clap at appropriate moments. If not, you don’t understand why other people seem to care so goddamn much. It has more to do with emotional bond one created when they first watched the film. I don’t care for “Legend,” but I can see where you could be very fond of it, having grown up with it, I didn’t see it until college.   

In defense of the Labyrinth screenplay, Sarah goes through exactly the kind of transformation I believe is necessary to make a story worth watching. In the beginning she is an inexcusably whiny bitch, she literally throws herself down on her bed, sobbing “I hate you” into her pillow, referencing her rather reasonable seeming step-mother, who wants her to babysit her burden of an infant half-brother, cutting into her valuable reciting poetry in the park and putting on lipstick time. I found that laughably over-dramatic even at the height of my spoiled upper-middle-class over-dramatic whitegirlness.       

She comes to understand the gravity of what she has done, and at first it is about whether or not she’s gong to get in trouble, but it becomes more than that...she is a better person, she redeems herself, she is happy to see her intact baby brother.

I’m not saying it’s not formulaic, I’m saying it’s a kid’s movie that for some reason graphically showcases some spandex-clad glam rock genitalia. Sarah has an arc, while Pan's Ofelia does not. Sarah could live forever as a queen at mulleted David Bowie’s contact juggling side, but she goes through a bunch of shit, and saves the baby she that she actively despised and wished kidnapped and gone forever, beginning this whole kerfuffle with her self-centered bullshit. (And it makes sense that if some magic poem made it so that he could come and take the baby, some magic poem should make it so he had no power over her. Through-lines and consistency are neat.)

Meanwhile, Pan’s Labyrinth demonstrates no character arc, nobody does anything they wouldn’t have done in the beginning by the end. Except the Fawn, who decides that her negligence and getting his friends killed did not prove, as he said it would, that she had been tainted from too much exposure to the mortal realm. Ofelia did not learn a fucking thing, other than “if I fail a trial through shear carelessness, I’ll get a second chance...oh, and the step-father that was mean to me in the beginning is even meaner now that I’m an orphan. Grand."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Alright so it's basically a combination of "we grew up loving it so fuck off" and "meh it's a kids movie, fuck off.".

Guess I wasn't really missing the all great epicness that I hear every one talk about when referencing this movie and how I absolutely NEEED to see it.

So they yah go.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2010-06-01 20:19:00)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I feel like Pans Labyrinth was initally praised for its VFX, but in all honesty the story and everything else  was kinda boring and lame IMO. And even if they are "kids movies" I've seen better/stronger ones.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

maul2 wrote:

Alright so it's basically a combination of "we grew up loving it so fuck off" and "meh it's a kids movie, fuck off.".

Guess I wasn't really missing the all great epicness that I hear every one talk about when referencing this movie and how I absolutely NEEED to see it.

So they yah go.

Nobody has said "fuck off", but whatever makes you happy smile I would never describe Labyrinth as having great "epicness"- that would be Dark Crystal. It's more Henson's last stand not using Kermit and friends before retreating to TV for his "serious" stuff.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Geez, guys. Manners much? Since nobody else has stated the obvious, I'll go for it:

Goddamn, Cloe.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've never heard Labyrinth mentioned in any context except 'cheesy old movies,' or 'cheesy muppet movies,' or 'cheesy movies starring David Bowie.' I dunno who you've been listening to that said it was a masterpiece.

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums, Cloe. big_smile

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was using "fuck off" as a general summation of the oncept. Not as a specific reference.

Also, yeah, hey, Welcome aboard the crazy train Cloe!

And i havn't heard anyone call it a Dark masterpiece, or whatever. It's just everyone who has ever brought it up has said that I NEEEED to see it. So I extraploated.

ZangrethorDigital.ca