Topic: DIF question.

It has recently come to my attention that folks listen to episodes multiple times.

This makes me curious.

Do you have a favorite? Why?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: DIF question.

I don't think I've ever listened to an episode more than once. But I know I'm unusual in that I almost always watch the movie while listening.

Favorite is probably still District 9 because of the way the discussion directly addressed the topics the film makers wanted to raise, in addition to the usual intelligent discussion of story, character, and effects.

(stuck in airports this evening, glad I have a Boingo account)

Last edited by Zarban (2010-06-01 02:11:19)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I wouldn't say I have a favorite epi, but I definitly try to listen to each episode AT LEAST twice. And then I'll usually go back and listen to old episodes every once and a while. They make a really nice background to have when working, not distracting but interesting.

I actually just did a prequel marathon a couple days back, it was fun.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Dark City was the first I listened to multiple times, as a) it's damned fun and b) at the end you guys commented one could listen to it without watching the film as very little related to what was on screen, thus starting me off on that path. It's still a favorite. As for others... looking at the list, it tends to be those where at least one of you is strongly against the film. Spiderman, Ghostbusters 2, Transformers 2... those I might listen to at work or while on my evening walk. If I like the film and you trash it, like Avatar, it won't go into heavy rotation smile The original Star Wars is probably a favorite, though.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To be honest I never once thought of watching one more than once. My favorite is Galaxy Quest probably only because it's my favorite movie of the ones you've done.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

TrowaGP02a wrote:

To be honest I never once thought of watching one more than once. My favorite is Galaxy Quest probably only because it's my favorite movie of the ones you've done.

I've listened to DVD commentaries, podcasts, and even Rifftrax more then once, so something that combines each should also get a second listen.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've listened to some other people's commentaries more than once but not a DiF so far. There's a few i haven't gotten to yet anyway.

I've reversed over parts a bunch of times though. I laughed my guts out during the 'typing complete sentences' part of Alien. And Trey's 'the fruit-bats are coming out' comment during Contact made me rewind a few times.

I guess so far my favorite is Jaws, there's a feeling of 'i'm surprised how good this old movie is' about it.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think I've listened to any DIF episodes less than 3 times.  Maybe 4.

You are excellent background noise and going to sleep noise.  And I can't pick a favorite.  Maybe the Abyss.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'll let my iTunes play count stats speak for themselves:

Episode III: 10x
Starship Troopers: 9x
Episode II: 9x
Galaxy Quest: 9x
The Abyss: 8x
Episode I: 7x
Dark City: 6x

The rest have at least 2x, not to mention all the ones I've been present for the recording of, and then listened to a couple more times just for show notes.

Damn, you sure you're not sprinkling a little cocaine over your tracks, give it that little sparkle?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well there usually is coke involved in the show, but it's usually mixed with rum.  Or vodka.  Or gin. 

I keep telling them you're not supposed to mix it with liquid and drink it, but nobody listens to me.

Look...if Brian Austin Green (David) taught us anything...it's that you mix your powders with a drink (obviously orange juice and speed is preferred, but most others will work).

Thumbs up Thumbs down

emfayder wrote:

I'll let my iTunes play count stats speak for themselves

First of all: those number are disturbing.

But second: you listen to them in iTunes? If I listen to a commentary without the movie, I use Windows Media Player and crank it up to about 1.4x play speed. (for fine control: View > Enhancements > Play Speed Settings)

That's the way I listen to podcasts all the time. You get used to it pretty quickly.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

But second: you listen to them in iTunes? If I listen to a commentary without the movie, I use Windows Media Player and crank it up to about 1.4x play speed. (for fine control: View > Enhancements > Play Speed Settings)

That's the way I listen to podcasts all the time. You get used to it pretty quickly.

I don't think they make Windows Media Player for the mac, but I could be mistaken smile That aside, I have no desire to speed up audio. I have time in my day to listen to everything.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm subscribed on itunes just to give 'em the number boost, but I've never listened to a DIF episode in any manner other than streaming from the site.  Of the hundreds of times I've DIF'd, I believe I've DIF'd with a movie less than five times.

When.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm pretty sure there isn't an episode I haven't listened to with the movie.  Before I was staff, that was how I'd listen through the first time, but I think the only one I've watched a second time with the commentary was Aliens, and that was for show notes purposes.

As for iTunes as a player, since my machine is almost 6 years old, it doesn't like to have iTunes, Notepad, Firefox, and VLC running all at once, so I usually transfer audio to the iPhone and listen through that. 

Actually I patch the audio from the phone into the soundcard, and listen through the computer anyway, which ensures I don't miss calls, mail or text notifications, while freeing up system resources.

#geekrunningmouth

I mash the play button.

I like the part where the voices come out.

Seriously. I'm an educated fellow. I can speak intelligently on any number of subjects. But when somebody throws words like "Firefox" and "VLC" and "patch the audio from the phone into the soundcard" at me, I feel like I'm a drooling moron who gigglingly eats pudding by the handful.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

What the hell are you doing up at this hour Jeff.

Stop haunting me!

Dude, it's seven in the morning. It's prime coffee-drinkin', big-thought-thinkin' time.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Weird, forum seems to think it's an hour earlier than it is.  Good morning then!

*adds "investigate time travel" to To-do list for Saturday, goes to bed.

I have a shiny nickel that says it's a daylight saving time thing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have the SW episodes, JP, Up and AVATAR on my phone. Repeated times I've listened to them.
I have two favorites - TPM, because the whole conversation is so hilarious ("But will you power your air-craft carrier?", the whole shield generator thing, "operation Gungan shield", among other things) and Star Wars, because it is, again, really funny and you guys share a pretty big amount of info with us. Also, that "and I am your father" by Trey at the end kills me.

Last edited by ockpii (2010-06-05 20:24:49)

Thumbs up Thumbs down