Topic: Doc Talk

I've really been getting into documentaries ever sense Eddie started Documentality, so I thought I'd create a thread to talk about what documentaries we've been watching, recommend documentaries to each other, have some general documentary discussion, or whatever else might happen here.

To kick us off, I recently watched Bones Brigade, a documentary about six teenagers in the 80s who created a skateboarding team and when on to revitalize and reinvent skateboarding into what we know is as today, and became some of the greatest competitors the sport has ever seen.

This doc was great, I totally loved it. It manages to be very informative and still be completely accessible to someone who knows nothing about skateboarding. I went in with nothing and came out with a basic understanding of skateboarding, a lot more knowledge about the history of skateboarding, and massive respect for the guys who made it all happen. 5/5, would recommend.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2014-05-21 06:34:48)

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Doc Talk

Bones Brigade is great.  As much as a documentary can have a direct sequel, BB is a sequel to Dogtown and Z Boys, which is an all time favorite for me.  If you haven't seen DTaZB yet, I can't recommend that one any higher. 

Another sort of side story to that one is RISING SON, the story of Christian Hosoi.  He was a legendary big air skater in the late 80's early 90's, and pretty much the direct rival to Tony Hawk.  He also innovated his own move, the Christ Air.  He was doing great, until drugs and the collapse of vert skating in the mid 90's basically forced him into rock bottom.  It gets a bit preachy towards the end, but he's a fascinating dude to be sure.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The only documentary I come back to now and again is 9/11. Two French brothers thought they were making a documentary on a New York City firehouse. They ended up being the guys on the ground as the World Trade Center attacks unfolded.

It's been a couple years since I've watched it, been meaning to go back and do so again. Also a good - nay, textbook -  example of the story being completely different than what you set out to create in the first place.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I saw Cleanflix a few months ago, the doc about the Utah company which would edit R rated movies for you. An interesting subject, and I kind of agree with the idea:I grew up watching Blues Brothers, MASH, and other stuff edited for TV, but can't, yet, show the same movies to my niece because there are no edited versions. Even if the original director created one (Landis shot non-nude scenes for Animal House, for example, for the TV edit, and Reitman filmed alternate takes for Ghostbusters to get rid of the swearing)

The documentary, though... not good. It relies heavily on interviews with a couple guys, then levels a horrible charge at one of them which has nothing to due with the subject. Either find another talking head to replace him, or don't bring that thing up. You're left with some basic information, and that's about it.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I watched The Union:The Business Behind Getting High a few months back. Canadian made, it explores the illegal marijuana industry in BC and delves into some of the history of why marijuana was made illegal in the first place, although most of its weight is spent on debunking a few common misconceptions about marijuana's negative effects. I found it interesting and informing, but I think it might be slightly biased towards marijuana enthusiasts (someone else should confirm this, though). I believe it's on Netflix (US) and possibly YouTube.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Let's play a game.  Name a doc you like, and I'll quote your post and respond with a recommendation that you might like.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've been watching quite a few more documentaries after succumbing to a Netflix subscription. I enjoy them for the in-depth exploration of subjects I've barely thought about. Good Hair was one that I liked precisely for that reason. Hit me with a recommendation smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

One that has stuck in my mind for quite a few years has been The Five Steps to Tyranny. It examines how  groups of people can get to the point where they are killing each other, and just how easy it is.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Sans Soleil
Sans Soleil
Sans Soleil
Sans Soleil
Sans Soleil

Last edited by paulou (2014-05-22 09:10:08)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

One that has stuck in my mind for quite a few years has been The Five Steps to Tyranny. It examines how  groups of people can get to the point where they are killing each other, and just how easy it is.

We'll for that one, I have to recommend Act of Killing.  Another might be My Brothers Keeper, which is he doc that put Burlinger and Sinofsky on the map.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Phi wrote:

I've been watching quite a few more documentaries after succumbing to a Netflix subscription. I enjoy them for the in-depth exploration of subjects I've barely thought about. Good Hair was one that I liked precisely for that reason. Hit me with a recommendation smile

Good Hair was pretty solid.  In the vain of what peaks your interest, I would also mention Bigger, Faster, Stronger.  Another solid doc by a first timer.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down