Topic: Inverting the love interest dynamic

After having just seen my 50,000th movie example of a high-status woman falling for a low-status man, I was wondering how many examples are there where it's the other way 'round?

I can think of 'Pretty Woman', but are there other examples?

If scriptwriters strive to do something original, why do >90% follow the basic template where she's a princess / rich man's daughter and he's from the wrong side of the tracks?

Why don't we (hardly) see the high status business man / prince / rich boy fall in love with the supermarket checkout chick from the trailer park?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Inverting the love interest dynamic

If scriptwriters strive to do something original, why do >90% follow the basic template where she's a princess / rich man's daughter and he's from the wrong side of the tracks?

I'm going to go slightly feminist here and guess that it's because the main character needs to seem the 'everyman' at the start, and generally they're male.

Start thinking of 'chick flicks' and you'll find the opposite dynamic. Pride and Prejudice, Confessions of a Shopaholic, My Big Fat Greek Wedding (sort of), and Waitress come to mind.

Last edited by Phi (2014-05-29 01:15:39)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

First one that comes to mind is Eddie Murphy in Coming to America.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Well, the rich man/ poor woman dynamic is your basic fairytale. Cinderella finds her Prince.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm more bothered with this when it comes to action roles. How nice would it be to have a woman action hero having to fight to save her boyfriend instead of vice-versa? I can think of very few examples, and one of them is Pink Five

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh, there are lots of dynamics like that which it would be fun to change. One of the reasons, to me anyway, the first Silent Hill movie sucked was the change from a male to a female lead. Having a father running away from all the monsters looking for his daughter was different. Making it the mom made it feel like every other horror movie.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There used to be a lot of shop-girl romance movies (women who marry the boss). TV really started shifting that in 80s, with Who's the Boss? flipping it to a shop-boy (if you will) and Moonlighting and Remington Steele making the woman the brains. But you still had Scarecrow and Mrs. King and The Nanny. And teen romances often had the girl aspiring upwards: 16 Candles, My Chauffeur, etc. Love Actually had a couple of shop-girl romances. You've Got Mail's lowly bookshop owner falls for a rich bookshop mogul. Then there's Maid in Manhattan, Two Weeks Notice, Pride & Prejudice.... But they're certainly less frequent.

Most Disney princesses start at the top instead of marrying into it, but they used to marry princes of equal station and now often fall for commoners. The recent exceptions are Beauty and the Beast, Mulan*, and The Frog Princess, all commoners who marry up.

* I know Mulan is a peasant who marries a general, so she's not a princess, but tell that to Disney.

Last edited by Zarban (2014-05-29 02:50:31)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Don't forget the John Hughes classic, Pretty In Pink (which he would then change roles with a year later on the arguably better, Some Kind of Wonderful).

It's often said there are but a small number of basic story concepts. It's what you do with them and how you execute them that's important and usually where originality comes in.

Baz Luhrmann has basically been making the same movie for years but it's the small details within and how they're presented that makes each film unique from the others.

Besides, these are stories that have worked for literally centuries. That's why they keep telling them. James Cameron's Titanic is cliched and predictable to almost a sickening degree. The only truly special thing about it is of course, that it's set against the backdrop of a massive ship sinking into the ocean.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can think of one with Beautician and the Beast, with Fran Drescher, so dating it a bit there wink

There is also "It takes Two" with the Olsen twins. Camp counselor falls in love with camp's owner/telcom exec.

Not sure if it counts, since it isn't exactly a subversion, but "For Richer, For Poorer," is a different dynamic of riches to (relative) rags to riches again.

That's all I've got.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The expectation is that the high-status woman is going to "throw everything away" for the love of her low-status guy. Rarely do you see a movie or tv show where the man's position is elevated due to his involvement with a high-status woman unless he's depicted as sniveling, weak, or villainous. A heroic male lead isn't going to rely on the female lead's position to gain any advantages. But it's perfectly acceptable for a female lead to be won over by a high-status male and enjoy the privileges of his position.

bullet3 wrote:

I'm more bothered with this when it comes to action roles. How nice would it be to have a woman action hero having to fight to save her boyfriend instead of vice-versa? I can think of very few examples, and one of them is Pink Five

The Action Girl who comes to the rescue of her helpless male love interest is a very common trope in anime. Unfortunately, it tends to happen in shows in which the male character is the lead, and therefore the male character's needs become the primary motivator for much of her badassery. Just as likely, prioritizing his needs directly leads to her sacrificing her own goals. Unless, of course, her skills were developed specifically to meet his needs, which is also common.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Barbara Stanwyck used to star in movies in which she played the low-status "broad" who falls in love with a high-status man. THE LADY EVE (1941) is the most well known example.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I read any sentence that starts with "Barbara Stanwyck" in the Pepperidge Farm guy's voice.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

johnpavlich wrote:

Besides, these are stories that have worked for literally centuries. That's why they keep telling them. James Cameron's Titanic is cliched and predictable to almost a sickening degree. The only truly special thing about it is of course, that it's set against the backdrop of a massive ship sinking into the ocean.

It's interesting to speculate if it would have worked as well if Leo was the upper class gentleman and Kate was travelling steerage.

Or if Senator Organa says, at the end of Revenge of the Sith, that he always wanted a son. Then Luke would be the snarky Prince, and Leia would be the naive farm girl staring longingly at the binary sunset.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Or if Senator Organa says, at the end of Revenge of the Sith, that he always wanted a son. Then Luke would be the snarky Prince, and Leia would be the naive farm girl staring longingly at the binary sunset.

This is why I love Milla Jovovich. She's not good at picking scripts, so her movies are very hit-and-miss, but I dearly love that she can play that girl who turns out to be tough as nails. I wish she'd fall in with Spielberg, Abrams, Scorsese, and those guys, but I fear they wouldn't know how to direct her.

(Hint: treat her like Schwarzenegger. Do as much as you can with looks, and limit her dialog and let her actions speak her emotions.)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

It's interesting to speculate if it would have worked as well if Leo was the upper class gentleman and Kate was travelling steerage.

I don't think that would have worked because it's not just about rich versus poor, it's about man versus woman. The whole point of Rose is that she feels trapped and limited by her station in life, which has a lot to do with how women were treated back then and how men were not only allowed but encouraged to view their women as slaves and property.

Zarban wrote:

This is why I love Milla Jovovich. She's not good at picking scripts, so her movies are very hit-and-miss, but I dearly love that she can play that girl who turns out to be tough as nails. I wish she'd fall in with Spielberg, Abrams, Scorsese, and those guys, but I fear they wouldn't know how to direct her.

It could also be argued that her own Husband doesn't know how to direct her but I digress. She's better at a particular type of role than most allow her to be or give her credit for. In fact, I've seen her be surprisingly funny in more comedic, independent movies. Though it is a sci-fi action spectacle, The Fifth Element contains many subtle moments where she's hilariously aloof. Repeating the words, "Leeloo Dallas Multi-pass" should not technically be funny, but it is. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/29628015/Jovo.jpg

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

You win, Drew. I don't know what you win, but it's yours now. smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wanted to get the guy to do the VO.
Budget limitations. <shrug>

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)