Topic: First build multirotor project - Help Needed!

I'm decided. Fancy footage is best obtained thru RC copter technology! I'm building a Quadcopter, hopefully, to lift a DSLR... I was wonderiong if anyone has any experience with quad copters or general multi roters and shooting fottage?! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: First build multirotor project - Help Needed!

I don't have much experience with quadcoptors, or whatever you'd like to call them, but ones big enough to carry a DSLR are definitely going to cost you. For your first one I'd recommend something designed to carry a GoPro to start out with. It'll be cheaper and easier to control the weight of the thing.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Totally agree... I'm just trying to future proof myself buy buying the right parts for bigger cameras. Kinda already bought parts, and if my novice maths are right... I should be able to lift a Sony Nex5r (I may have skipped the gopro step - could prove to be a stroke of genius or...). Kinda why I need help with this. Or should be stopped. Like the the camera crashing to the ground... I may need brought back down to earth and race to the end before at least dipping my toe in the water.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, definitely start out with something that can lift a GoPro. GoPro's are quite the durable bunch, so if your copter falls, at least the camera survives.
Also, GoPro's aren't that bad. A Hero 3+Black can shoot in 2.7K at 30 frames per second, and using ProTune(Kinda like RAW. Not nearly as great as RAW, but kinda like it), and even up to 120fps at 720p.
On top of that, GoPro's don't weight much, but their weight center is kinda in the center. A DSLR would shift center every time you switch lenses, and you'd probably have to re-learn to fly the damn thing all the time.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

For a DSLR you're looking at an octocopter, which isn't something you should build on a whim.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Master Zangstromp is the quadcopter guy. ZAP!!

[video (unkown provider)]

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

If you're going to build a quadrotor yourself, you'll likely need advanced non-linear control systems programming knowledge.  ...or you'll have to buy some type of smart controller that's made for quadrotors.  Even in that case, though, you'll have to know how to tune the systems gains properly so that it can self-balance.  That's the issue with quadrotors;  you can't control them just analogue, you need a computer to do all the micro-adjustments necessary for balance. Its difficult stuff but seriously cool!

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down