Topic: CG vs. Practical Effects

I found this interesting, Tom Woodruff Jr and Alec Gillis, of ADI, discuss the fall of Practical Effects.

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Re: CG vs. Practical Effects

http://37.media.tumblr.com/99c6b70bd1b88d112a5d5ef974850bff/tumblr_meq1xi9yl31qbh830o1_r1_500.gif

I'm thinking we'll rise again.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Didn't someone just comment about how studios are using practical again because CGI has become so cheap?

Or am I imagining things again?

Also, The Amazing Spider-Man (not sure about 2) did several practical web slings instead of using CGI.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, apparently 3d printing is driving the price down, I was reading an article recently about how Doctor Who had a lot of miniature sets for the 50th

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

fireproof78 wrote:

Didn't someone just comment about how studios are using practical again because CGI has become so cheap?

Other way around I think. Using practical is becoming cheaper, so it's starting to make a comeback.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

Other way around I think.

Yeah, you're never going to find a producer saying "We can't do it this way, it's too cheap."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Unless it's a Brewster's Millions type of gig.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Dorkman wrote:
BigDamnArtist wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

Other way around I think.

Yeah, you're never going to find a producer saying "We can't do it this way, it's too cheap."

Well, that was not exactly what I meant, but I can see how you read it that way. I seriously need to read that quote again, and I can't remember where I saw it  hmm

However, there has been a resurgence in practical effects that I have admired.

Found the thread that I was thinking of: http://friendsinyourhead.com/forum/view … hp?id=1701

And, yeah, I had it backwards, with materials for models becoming far, far cheaper.

Last edited by fireproof78 (2014-06-09 07:25:58)

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down