Topic: The Room

This movie was hilarious!  Does anyone know of any similar ones?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Room

BIRDEMIC: SHOCK AND TERROR looks like it's a fellow-traveller down OMG IS THIS FOR REAL Street. Can't get a legitimate copy though. I would have bought the DVD if it was still available. I did find a torrent of the film, haven't watched it yet.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Apparently Troll 2 is receiving similar cult status. Repo: The Genetic Opera is amassing its share of Rocky Horror-like fans, but that's a different sort of terrible.

(I loved Repo, for the record.)

Welcome to the forums!

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Should this go in Off Topic?

downinfront wrote:

(I loved Repo, for the record.)

I thought you had changed your opinion on it?

BrianFinifter wrote:

Should this go in Off Topic?

Well, this is technically about a movie, just not one we've done.

I'll bring it over next time you guys want to have a non-DIF shindig and blow your minds.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I'll move it to Off Topic.

"Movies" is really "episodes," more or less. Thinking about changing the title of the forum.

Also, Repo is bad, but I like crunchy contrast and musicals and girls with eyeliner. It's not something about myself that I'm proud of.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Right, but I thought this had come up before. I was under the impression this forum was for discussions of released commentaries while topics for other movies went into "Off Topic."

Don't matter to me much either way, but we should probably get a ruling on the field.

EDIT: Oh, Teague actually did comment on the change and just beat me to the post. Never mind. 1984 joke inapplicable. Move along.

Last edited by Brian (2010-06-10 03:47:44)

The star/director himself is going to be in Buffalo at some point for a showing of this classic. I think he has enough of a sense of humor about it that Rifftrax could get the rights to do a live riff of the film (they've already done a regular rifftrax)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can someone explain what exactly The Room is, for someone who has been living under a rock, or in Japan, whatever the case may be?

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Room is a bad movie, but people like it ironically.

/thisbringsustothepresent

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Actually, that's kind of an oversimplification. I understand it looks that way, a la ROCKY HORROR, but THE ROOM is a phenomenon unto itself.

THE ROOM is a movie so howlingly, hysterically bad that at the end of it all, you've been laughing pretty much the entire time and you're in a really good mood and the endorphins trick your brain into associating the movie with a lot of positive emotions. You end up actually liking it. It's not a good movie -- in fact, it's in the running for worst movie ever made -- but if you're watching and mocking it with friends and maybe a drink or two, it's an awesome experience.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Okay, I'm sold. What are you doing tomorrow night, Dorkman?

DorkmanScott wrote:

Actually, that's kind of an oversimplification. I understand it looks that way, a la ROCKY HORROR, but THE ROOM is a phenomenon unto itself.

To be a truly "so bad it's good" film, the creators have to have intended serious art and that's the case here. You also can't predict what will get this kind of attention, or try and intentionally create it. The creator of Rocky Horror learned that.

The original poster asked for other recommendations. I'll mention one well known in anime fandom: Photon Space Sailer Starlight Odin. This early 80's movie was an attempt to create a new franchise to replace the old tired Yamato/Star Blazers series. The plot: a new experimental space ship which looks like a 19th century clipper ship (with full sails) picks up a spaceship wrecked teen girl among ruins of an unknown alien race. The crew of cadets mutiny so they can go exploring, and this unarmed ship manages to defeat whole alien battle fleets while the girl keeps chanting "Odin... Odin!"

Yes, it's that good smile

For the dub they hacked a good hour out of it, but you really have to experience the uncut subtitled version which still gives the translator nightmares. The movie just gets so MUCH wrong, it's amazing. You can see what they were trying to do, and just watch the execution fail utterly. One example: to give the movie a modern flavor, they use a Japanese band singing English 80's metal music (verging on Hair Metal). Ok, cool, I can get behind that, and the opening scenes of the crew running to their post to the pounding beats is great. However, for whatever reason they only had the group write two (count them, 2) songs... and then reused each one a half dozen times. The pain...

Most anime fans just think of this film as unwatchable crap, but I firmly believe that understood properly it's a classic of how NOT to do things and can be enjoyed as such.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid are you in Buffalo?  My wife is from there.

The Room is a spectacular kind of crap.  I personally love shit that sucks.  The worse the better, imho.  It's one thing to be brilliant and make something awesome, but the self delusion that goes into making something bad and thinking its good is an art unto itself.

As far as bad movies that I love, Bloodsport is an easy choice, but its not nearly as bad as some of the stinkers I have in my collection.  I tend to go towards bad kung fu or exploitation movies from the 70's or low budget genre indies from late 80's early 90's.  Off the top of my head:

Chinese Hercules (starring Bolo Yeung!)
Laser Mission (starring Brandon Lee!)
Black Belt Jones
The Last Dragon
Fist of the White Lotus
any of the Richard Harrison Ninja movies.  for instance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXHWzy0R … re=related

You're welcome.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Astroninja Studios wrote:

Invid are you in Buffalo?  My wife is from there.

Yup. Given we get most of our new residents because Buffalo girls insist on living here and bring along hubby, I'm impressed you've resisted ^_^ (the number of Buffalo sports stars who married local and stayed is quite impressive)

It's one thing to be brilliant and make something awesome, but the self delusion that goes into making something bad and thinking its good is an art unto itself.

The main Buffalo News reviewer has commented that the worst movies come from brilliant creators who should know better, or in other words great talent applied badly is much worse (and more entertaining) then a lack of talent. That's what makes the anime Odin so great imho, because you just know they could have done a great job but failed utterly.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My wife moved out here from Buffalo to pursue dance.  I work in LA as an editor, and therefore I have to be in the city.  I'd love to live in San Diego or move back to Hawaii, but that's just not in the cads for the foreseeable forever.

Oddly enough, when I met my wife, her brother was graduating high school and not sure what to do with his life.  He visited, and saw what I did, and he absolutely fell in love with film.  He even interned as a highlight editor for Buffalo Sabres games.  He's leaning more towards being a shooter these days, but he's got a real eye and some raw talent that he's sharpening up.  Him and his girlfriend are probably going to move out here  when he graduates from UB.  So with both of their kids eventually living out here, my in laws are probably going to end up retiring out here in ten years or so.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

DorkmanScott wrote:

BIRDEMIC: SHOCK AND TERROR looks like it's a fellow-traveller down OMG IS THIS FOR REAL Street. Can't get a legitimate copy though. I would have bought the DVD if it was still available. I did find a torrent of the film, haven't watched it yet.

Have not seen Birdemic but have heard glorious things. will do so immediately. thanks

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
DorkmanScott wrote:

To be a truly "so bad it's good" film, the creators have to have intended serious art and that's the case here. You also can't predict what will get this kind of attention, or try and intentionally create it. The creator of Rocky Horror learned that.

The original poster asked for other recommendations. I'll mention one well known in anime fandom: Photon Space Sailer Starlight Odin. This early 80's movie was an attempt to create a new franchise to replace the old tired Yamato/Star Blazers series. The plot: a new experimental space ship which looks like a 19th century clipper ship (with full sails) picks up a spaceship wrecked teen girl among ruins of an unknown alien race. The crew of cadets mutiny so they can go exploring, and this unarmed ship manages to defeat whole alien battle fleets while the girl keeps chanting "Odin... Odin!"

Yes, it's that good smile

For the dub they hacked a good hour out of it, but you really have to experience the uncut subtitled version which still gives the translator nightmares. The movie just gets so MUCH wrong, it's amazing. You can see what they were trying to do, and just watch the execution fail utterly. One example: to give the movie a modern flavor, they use a Japanese band singing English 80's metal music (verging on Hair Metal). Ok, cool, I can get behind that, and the opening scenes of the crew running to their post to the pounding beats is great. However, for whatever reason they only had the group write two (count them, 2) songs... and then reused each one a half dozen times. The pain...

Most anime fans just think of this film as unwatchable crap, but I firmly believe that understood properly it's a classic of how NOT to do things and can be enjoyed as such.

I havent seen too many anime's but the title alone Photon Space Sailer Starlight Odin sounds amazing! in a bad way.

Astroninja Studios - I love bad kung fu, Also love great kung fu but who doesn't?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

heckboy wrote:

I havent seen too many anime's but the title alone Photon Space Sailer Starlight Odin sounds amazing! in a bad way.

To be fair though a lot of anime have long titles like this that sound silly when translated, even the great ones. I mean, who'd guess that Super Dimensional Space Fortress Macross was the title of a good show? (although, to be fair, it was intended to be a parody even if the fans took it seriously smile) It's even more fun when they use English titles because they think it's cool. One of the best cyberpunk shows is called... Bubblegum Crisis. Why? Because the creators said the situation was like a bubble that was about to burst. The sequel was going to be called Bubblegum Crush until they found out US fans thought it sounded like a soft drink, so they changed it to 'Crash'. Given how bad that show is though the new name is more descriptive then they intended.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
heckboy wrote:

To be fair though a lot of anime have long titles like this that sound silly when translated, even the great ones. I mean, who'd guess that Super Dimensional Space Fortress Macross was the title of a good show? (although, to be fair, it was intended to be a parody even if the fans took it seriously smile) It's even more fun when they use English titles because they think it's cool. One of the best cyberpunk shows is called... Bubblegum Crisis. Why? Because the creators said the situation was like a bubble that was about to burst. The sequel was going to be called Bubblegum Crush until they found out US fans thought it sounded like a soft drink, so they changed it to 'Crash'. Given how bad that show is though the new name is more descriptive then they intended.

Bubblegum crash! I like how the change crush to crash but left bubblegum, haha, great!

I was looking around and read about a movie called The Underground Comedy Movie, written and directed by that shamwow guy?

I read that it's probably growing some cult recognition.  Anyone seen it?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

A quick google for the underground comedy movie torrent gave a couple of results, if nothing else.

Also, discovered I have actually watched "The Room". And it sucked balls. Big, juicy, hairy donkey-balls. If there's ever a worse movie out there, I'd like to see it.

Hello doggy.

Last edited by Tomahawk (2010-07-03 15:17:59)

Thumbs up Thumbs down