Topic: Open-Source Creativity

Hello everyone smile

Lately I've found the internets way more depressing than usual, and it increasingly feels like talking into the gaping maw of an abusive eldritch abomination. I would like to do what I can to steer things away from negativity and destruction, so I'm gonna make my next blog post be about how easy it is to be constructive and creative, at little-to-no cost.

So as part of that, I'm trying to make a list of open-source software that would be really useful for making music/videos/art etc.

Obviously, since this forum is full of incredibly talented visually-oriented effects people etc., I was hoping you'd be able to add to that list (so far, all I have on it is Blender and GIMP). And feel free to suggest anything else you can think of for creative stuffs (e.g. Audacity for audio editing etc).

Thanks!

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Re: Open-Source Creativity

Lightworks is a pro piece of editing software which went open-source in recent years.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

RoughDraft is a freeware Final Draft emulator.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

RoughDraft is a freeware Final Draft emulator.

I hadn't heard of that before. Another free scripting option would be Celtx, although I think they're trying to bury it these days. You have to scroll down to 'Classic Desktop Software' and then sign up to be able to download it.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

The lite version of DaVinci Resolve is free, a very powerful color correction software.

For open-source video encoding, look no further than Handbrake.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I approve of this thread. It is nice to see all the tools available for struggling or amateur or recreational artists to be able to craft something.

I'm terrible at finishing projects, but this feels like some incentive to try and use these tools to create something, even if it is something silly.

Thank you all for sharing!

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Wow. These are excellent suggestions, thanks a lot!

I don't think I'll ever stop being surprised by how many powerful tools (snigger) are freely-available like this. Amazing.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Here's the post containing all the suggestions so far. Hopefully there's a couple of things on it that are new to youse:
Here you go!

Also, I'll try and update it periodically, so if you discover any new gems, I'd be grateful if you were to post it here smile

Hey y'all! In case you didn't know, they have made Unreal Engine 4 now completely free to anyone and everyone! I'm fiddling around with it for a pet project one of my coworkers suggested, and it is quite, quite delicious!
And I'm still totally blown away by how many free resources there are for being creative.

That's cool! I know that engine is incredibly powerful so I am hoping that many creative people are able to have fun with it.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Some genius French nut made an open-source Nuke replica on his own in three years.

http://natron.inria.fr/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down