Topic: The Future of Star Wars

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

As I said in the chat at the end of the stream, I'm not vibrationally excited, but definitely optimistic about what's coming.

That said. The instant a proper R-rated, Darth Maul centric spin-off is announced I will be bouncing off the fucking walls.

My movies: ZangrethorDigital.ca
Let's plays: youtube.com/bigdamnartist
Other movie thing I do: youtube.com/BullskitComedy

Re: The Future of Star Wars

/Z

Last edited by MasterZap (2014-06-24 10:20:00)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

The thing that trailer shows more than anything else is that the original SW trilogy was so often funny.  I doubt anyone could make a similar trailer out of the prequels.

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to the first Johgurt Salamee trailer.

Re: The Future of Star Wars

Which is why "Guardians of the Galaxy" *is* the new Star Wars ... smile

/Z

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

COMING SOON!

http://i.imgur.com/ko4vd65.jpg

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

I'm not so sure "EVERYONE IS GOING TO SEE THIS". So many people were disappointed with the Prequels, Indy4, and with Abrams' Star Trek effort, and with the general reaction to lame over-CGed PG13 tentpoles, that if early reports are that it's a turkey, (e.g. reshoots were required, grumbling actors) and if the Rotten Tomato rating is <50%, it might do a healthy $500-$800M, but not threaten the top #20 in any way.

Even Phantom Menace, when goodwill in Star Wars was an all time high, didn't topple Titanic.

In other words, the onus is on Ep7 to prove itself. It doesn't get a 'free pass'. Not with me anyway.

And just like that...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

I think that anyone informed enough to loathe the prequels will be informed enough to see that episode 7 will be nothing like them.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

Sam F wrote:

I think that anyone informed enough to loathe the prequels will be informed enough to see that episode 7 will be nothing like them.

That could well be. Instead of endless shots of kooky creatures sitting around talking, we'll have endless shots of kooky creatures running and punching.

And just like that...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

avatar wrote:

Instead of endless shots of kooky creatures sitting around talking, we'll have endless shots of kooky creatures running and punching.

You don't seriously think that's all a J.J. Abrams movie is, do you?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

11

Re: The Future of Star Wars

I don't know whether or not Ep VII will crack the top of the all-time worldwide gross list, but it'll definitely open big, bigger than Batman/Superman, I would think.

For all the goodwill the prequels eroded with people like me, it's easy to forget (or block out of one's mind) that there was that whole other population of people, much younger than I, who loved them some Jar-Jar. Those kiddies who liked the prequels and grew up with only the prequels--they buy movie tickets too.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

Rob wrote:

I don't know whether or not Ep VII will crack the top of the all-time worldwide gross list, but it'll definitely open big, bigger than Batman/Superman, I would think.

For all the goodwill the prequels eroded with people like me, it's easy to forget (or block out of one's mind) that there was that whole other population of people, much younger than I, who loved them some Jar-Jar. Those kiddies who liked the prequels and grew up with only the prequels--they buy movie tickets too.

So that leaves the intriguing question... what demographic these new SW movies will be pitched to?

Lucas seems to have deliberately pitched the Prequels to young kiddies, while ignoring the original OT fans. The main actor was a young kid, there was Jar Jar and many other cartoon creatures and droids.

But, as you say, the young kids that did love Jar Jar in 1999 are now grown up and in their mid-20s, so will this new series be consciously more adult, gritty, dark, or will there be another effort to appeal to a new generation of young children? The teens who grew up with the OT will be pushing 50 and hopefully have cultivated a more sophisticated taste than laughing at stepping in the poopy.

And just like that...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

As for what the bad guy for the next few movies could be, how about the obvious? The Jedi. Luke (and Staci) have trained a few Jedi, who then trained more over the last 30 years. However, partly because it was felt they really needed to increase numbers quickly, these new Jedi have not had that much training in how to resist the Dark Side. The training was also done with adolescents instead of youngsters, who can't see why they should serve this new Republic instead of controlling it. After all, didn't the Jedi of old rule, to the benefit of all? It could be a slow build, not erupting into Jedi War until the third movie giving you two films of mostly non-Jedi story.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

avatar wrote:

So that leaves the intriguing question... what demographic these new SW movies will be pitched to?

If there was EVER the definition of a 4 quadrant franchise, it's Star Wars.  Always has, and I assume always will.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

avatar wrote:

the young kids that did love Jar Jar in 1999 are now grown up and in their mid-20s

Which guarantees that we'll see some of them hating on the new film because it's not what they expected.

We can pretty much write that future Cracked article right now:

J.J. Abrams's simplistic tale of good guys and bad guys in a rollicking space adventure is a travesty.  Where's the political intrigue?  Where are the discussions of trade embargoes?  How do you make a Star Wars movie without a single hallway conversation?

Re: The Future of Star Wars

Invid wrote:

Luke (and Staci) have trained a few Jedi...

http://www.pinkfive.com/images/post/pittdance.gif

Re: The Future of Star Wars

avatar wrote:
Sam F wrote:

I think that anyone informed enough to loathe the prequels will be informed enough to see that episode 7 will be nothing like them.

That could well be. Instead of endless shots of kooky creatures sitting around talking, we'll have endless shots of kooky creatures running and punching.

I think the intrigued of something new in the Star Wars universe will be a bigger draw. Again, while we here have a general loathing of the prequels, there are still many fans who like it and many who enjoy Abrams style. Whether it was MI 3, Star Trek or Lost, I have enjoyed Abrams style for the most part.

Besides, it's not like that is all Abrams knows how to do is shoot em' up wink

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

Trey wasn't born yet so it's understandable, but his recollection of what the Berlin Airlift was is all wrong. The Allies after WW II divided Germany into four parts, and Berlin itself into quarters. Given Berlin was right in the middle of the Soviet part of Germany, Russia really wanted the US, England and France out of there so they cut off ground travel through their zone. The idea wasn't to punish Germans, but to just get total control of the city. Imagine if Russia controlled a part of Tokyo after the war due to their contribution to defeating them, and the US wanting them out.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

You're correct that I was sketchy on the political details of the Berlin Airlift.  But based on my time in Berlin, the locals (most of whom weren't born yet either) remember it mostly as "that time after the war when the Soviets were really being dicks for some reason and we almost starved."

So yes, there were political reasons at the higher levels, but down on the ground it was more like "damn, those Russians are still really pissed at us."   Which they sorta had reason to be - the German/Russian side of the war was particularly hideous.

Anyway, what I was getting at was that punitive sort of idea could be fodder for a post-Empire SW tale.

Re: The Future of Star Wars

Oh, agreed. However, it wouldn't take much for someone to spin it as "You know, if all these Americans who were bombing us just left, the Russians would be able to send food in" It's all PR, and they just hated Russians more than they hated the English and Americans once the shooting stopped.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

fireproof78 wrote:
avatar wrote:
Sam F wrote:

I think that anyone informed enough to loathe the prequels will be informed enough to see that episode 7 will be nothing like them.

That could well be. Instead of endless shots of kooky creatures sitting around talking, we'll have endless shots of kooky creatures running and punching.

I think the intrigued of something new in the Star Wars universe will be a bigger draw. Again, while we here have a general loathing of the prequels, there are still many fans who like it and many who enjoy Abrams style. Whether it was MI 3, Star Trek or Lost, I have enjoyed Abrams style for the most part.

Besides, it's not like that is all Abrams knows how to do is shoot em' up wink

Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness were both revenge plots. So... Grand Moff Tarkin Jnr is upset the rebels killed his dad. He gets hold of some doomsday weapon and takes out a system or two to demonstrate he's not screwing around. Bring me the head of Luke Skywalker or else. Rebels are in a race against time with a punch-up next to a ticking bomb. End credits. Next.

And just like that...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

No but seriously Avatar, tell us how much you actually hate JJ. No need to hold back here.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-06-24 23:21:59)

My movies: ZangrethorDigital.ca
Let's plays: youtube.com/bigdamnartist
Other movie thing I do: youtube.com/BullskitComedy

Re: The Future of Star Wars

BigDamnArtist wrote:

No but seriously Avatar, tell us how much you actually hate JJ. No need to hold back here.

Actually, I'll say something nice. I don't think JJ will dumb down Star Wars like he dumbed down Star Trek, but that's only because Lucas already drove the dumbness through the basement. The only way is up. See, I'm graciously magnanimous.  big_smile

And just like that...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

Also, keep in mind, Transformers 4 is likely to open to over 100 million DOMESTIC this weekend (and probably 300 international), despite 3 prior movies that are widely considered to be terrible. Star Wars will have no trouble breaking a billion.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Future of Star Wars

avatar wrote:
BigDamnArtist wrote:

No but seriously Avatar, tell us how much you actually hate JJ. No need to hold back here.

Actually, I'll say something nice. I don't think JJ will dumb down Star Wars like he dumbed down Star Trek, but that's only because Lucas already drove the dumbness through the basement. The only way is up. See, I'm graciously magnanimous.  big_smile

Well, that is faint praise, as the saying goes.

I'm honestly a little more hesitant with Abrams directing Star Wars simply because he was is a fan boy of it, which can either bring great success or failure. Or, it might strike somewhere in between, being good at points with some terrible parts somewhere in there.

Star Trek may have been dumbed down by Abrams, but he didn't have far to go. In many ways, given how Lucas drove the franchise, Abrams really  does not have far to go in order to reach up past the failures of the prequels. Also, Star Trek 2009 and Into Darkness are smarter than many give it credit for.

But, that is just my point of view smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down