Topic: How to Train your Dragon 2 (no spoilers)

Given some of the other movies that are getting their own threads in here, having just recently watched it, I felt How To Train Your Dragon really deserves it too.

As I said in the other thread, it's crazy to me that there isn't more buzz and discussion around it, in my opinion this is the biggest-scale movie of the year so far, and by far the largest animated film I've ever seen. The sheer amount of amazing visuals and design work is staggering.

Story-wise, it's really interesting too, and steps way outside the comfort-zone of the template of the original. This kinda ends up being its main weakness, as you basically get 2-full-movies worth of content in 1, and as a result the pacing feels exhausting at times. Still, I genuinely haven't ever seen an American 3d animated film attempt something this grandiose and operatic.

Also, John Powell is back, and cements himself as my favorite modern-day composer, the closest I've seen to a modern day John Williams:

And yet it's fading fast at the box-office, falling way short of stuff like Despicable Me. What gives?

Thumbs up Thumbs down