Re: Zarban's lightsaber battle project

duplicate the layer and set it to screen and / or add (quiet Tom!) keep duplicating or removing layers of the footage til you get a good consistency

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

I see what you're sayin', but I kind of like how it looks.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm kinda with Teague on this one. The mostly solid look with the horizontal chunky scanlines is kinda cool. If anything I might bump the overall opacity down just a hair and add some kinda of volumetric projection laser light type of thing coming from the wrist watch thingy.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I like the idea of it being more transparent, like the movie holograms. Love the projection idea. And that camera angle is fantastic, by the way.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Beware the Norwegian.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Ha ha! Coming along!

The original inspiration for the holograms (see the first post in this thread) featured a holographic screen with buttons and things to manipulate. Can we do something like that? It won't look right without something for her to be interacting with.

Last edited by Zarban (2015-03-11 21:24:27)

I've been super bad at tracking this thread. And/or sorting the probe droid out. Tuesday - I'll set about it. Sorey for being a lazy arse.

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Awesome screwball, no worries we're all just doing what we can!

Master Z, yeah, the holo keyboard bit has me struggling a little, but it's in the plan. I'd love to have someone log that shot frame-by-frame, describing her gestures so we could figure out what the interface is doing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

drew, how do you log a shot? I probably can at least record what her movements are at what time stamps.

*home sick today*

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's exactly what I was thinking FP. It looks like she was making a hash of pokes and slides. So a list of the most obvious such gestures (i.e. the ones that should have related actions in the holo-interface) would be cool, timestamps would be the icing on that cake. From there we could establish the menu-tree she was navigating and viola. TBH I'm just guessing at the best way to get there, so anything you can come up with will be progress.

Thanks!!

edit
Get well man. I've been home sick this week too, but was way too bad off for being useful. I had to show up at work today to spread some germophobia around so they knew I wasn't just playing hooky.

Last edited by drewjmore (2015-03-13 19:37:33)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Nice. Yeah, thought I had the flu, but just bronchitis and a fever. Took me out of work for two days.

Get well soon. Is there any other footage to review beyond what was posted with Tom's hologram?

edit:

First pass on trying to map the finger motions. The last part if very rapid, so I am sure I missed something.

Note: time stamps are based off of the holgram test footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgAzJKTpV9E#t=15

0:05-finger on the hologram
0:15-multiple actions
    -index finger moves down to up
    -index finger presses in
0:16-multiple actions
    -middle finger presses down
    -index finger moves down
    -middle finger moves down again
    -hand moves up in these actions
0:17-multiple actions
    -hand moves down-index finger presses down
    -middle finger presses down
0:18-multiple actions
    -middle finger pushes down
    -ring finger taps in?
    -index finger pushes down then moves up

0:19-multiple actions
    -middle finger pushes in
    -index finger pushes in
    -hand moves down
    -
0:20-22-multiple actions
    -index finger towards the top and pushes in
    -index finger pushes in three times moving upward as it starts
    -hand moves down and index finger pushes in twice.

Last edited by fireproof78 (2015-03-13 21:11:04)

God loves you!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

OMG dude, I knew there was a lot going on, but whoah.

edit:
Niken does some similar (but much simpler) gestures while seated in his ship.
I'm off to see if that sequence is still publicly viewable...
gotit:

Niken gestures to switch calls at about 2:40. I think that's it.

Last edited by drewjmore (2015-03-13 21:37:29)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, there are a couple of movements where I cannot tell what finger is doing what due to the angle, so I apologize if I missed something (I'm sure I did).

However, her index finger and her middle finger do most of the action, in an up and down movement, like keying on a number pad.

Not sure if that helps.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

drewjmore wrote:

Awesome screwball, no worries we're all just doing what we can!

Master Z, yeah, the holo keyboard bit has me struggling a little, but it's in the plan. I'd love to have someone log that shot frame-by-frame, describing her gestures so we could figure out what the interface is doing.

The idea is that she's initiating a trace to determine his location and then alert her master. So if there is a little swirly interface of indeterminate touch points and then a display of "TRACING LOCATION" followed by "SENT TO MASTER", that would suffice.

Yeah, next time I sit down with this I'm just going to force-fit a thing to her actions. The exact relationship of the actions to the thing are secondary, like continuity...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Bump.

It occurs to me that another workaround is cutting away to a readout within the hologram so we get away from the manipulation and just see the results.

BTW, the kids are now too old for reshoots, soooo if we need to cut back to just the swordfight to get a final film....

Last edited by Zarban (2015-04-16 22:29:54)

I agree with the possible workaround.

Also, and this might sound odd, but several graphics in The Old Republic video game that are rotary in nature, and turn to show the progress of loading.

Not sure if that is a reasonable graphic design. Just kind of throwing it out there.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Any movement on this? The kids are still excited to see a finished cut of something.

Funny you should mention, I just did a bunch of lightning yesterday.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Force-Lightning, I presume? I am excite.

I've done nothing on this lately. Sorta hoping the coming semester end frees up a couple more artists; several of our original volunteers turned to pumpkins when summer ended.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

(I did FX on a second or so of handles on both sides of the current edit points, in case things get changed around later.)

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +4 Thumbs down

This is terrific, man. I'd love to see the light sabers done on this. I think the rest of the fight is edited together too, right? If we could get the lightsabers done and this added to it, we'd really have something.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_2PNDRu4svzw/TENxr08VJ7I/AAAAAAAAp8A/QXRYs3VfuZM/s400/Wonka%201.png

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

So, yesterday was the one-year anniversary, and I was hoping to have the movie released by then. Not quiiiiiiite there, although most of the work that remains is touching base with Drew and putting pre-made FX over new plates and stuff like that. He's on vacation at the moment, we'll do that when he's back in front of a computer.

In the meantime, here's a teaser showing off some of the newly-completed work. (In other words, I just put a lot of the new shots to music because I was bored.)

Here's the same file as a downloadable thing, if anyone wants it.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +8 Thumbs down

Oh YES!!!

Thumbs up Thumbs down