Re: Zarban's lightsaber battle project

@Master Zarban,

I have shot cool stuff, and VFX'ed other cool stuff. Basically everything on your list and more.
Keep me apprised of your shooting schedule and I may be able to help out on-set.
I also shoot Canon and have access to numerous sweet lenses...14mm fisheye, through 500mm tele.
Many L-glass and f/2.8 or better.

-drew

edit:
as a particularly bad (WIP, project all but abandoned) example: https://vimeo.com/28061677
password is
zarban

better example for those who have blocked it out of their memory:
https://vimeo.com/14757471

Last edited by drewjmore (2014-07-01 20:53:32)

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Cool! The one major daunting aspect of the project is having to light and shoot and record sound on set when my only experience is still photography and podcasting. Having real experience on set would be awesome!

There could EASILY be a Wooden Peel pizza in this for you.

Last edited by Zarban (2014-07-01 21:57:31)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I can help film, man. Shoot me an email. I have a busy couple of weeks, but after that I have an open schedule.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Excellent! I'll know more this weekend when I run the script by the kids and their mothers.

I'll shoot the test footage Teague suggests and also some of the locations we'll use.

Niken's ship
http://www.zarban.com/pics/Nikens-ship.jpg

Draft 2 of the script, with notes from Teague and Bathilda. I've elaborated on the fight a little and made it seem more of a trap.

I've tried timing this out, and it seems to run about 7 minutes; that's quite a surprise for 3 pages.

Last edited by Zarban (2014-07-02 01:52:27)

Oooo, that ship looks like fun.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Zarban wrote:

I've elaborated on the fight a little and made it seem more of a trap.

Goooottt it. So, just to be clear, Jedi-girl is setting a trap for Sith-boy? I didn't catch that the first time. There's probably room to push that point even further if you want.

...or is it Darth Voyne/Niken setting a trap for Butterfly with the probe droid?

The fleshed-out fight scene is super fun! I can't wait to see it!

Okay, that didn't work either then. I didn't really like the idea that the sneaking was fake sneaking anyway. I'll keep thinking.

Zarban wrote:

Script first draft. The ending needs to be more wry and twisty, I think.

SHOWDOWN ON DANTAH

Ok, late to the party, but I hope you don't mind some small ideas for the script.

First of all, do you have a sequence in mind of who activates their saber first? I would imagine giving each their moment of activation can up the "cool" factor for the kids-not that it isn't alright high enough.

If you want a twist, here is some food for thought. You can do a fake out for the Sith master and have Butterfly take the ship back to the Sith base, and the door opens, revealing Butterfly instead of Niken. Like I said it is work in progress but might be something.

The probe droids withdrawing could included, as the ship arrives, giving it a more ominous tone. Like the droids move to retreat, and Butterfly tries to follow. Again, just a thought.

On another note, what lightsaber props are you using?

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Food for thought.

No plan for the lightsabers yet. I'll check the hardware store and cobble something together according to the kids' preferences and paint the blade orange, I guess.

Zarban wrote:

Food for thought.

No plan for the lightsabers yet. I'll check the hardware store and cobble something together according to the kids' preferences and paint the blade orange, I guess.

Yeah. That is all I really wanted to present. I wasn't sure what direction you were thinking so I imagined some possibilities.

As for props, I'm hardly the most experienced here, but I have had some success with PVC for custom hilts and and saber blades. It also would be lighter and hopefully easier for them to handle.

Again, I have no doubt that many others will have suggestions besides me (and probably better ones) but it is a fairly cheap way to use for blades and customize them.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I love some of these ideas, especially showing the probe droids returning, but I don't think it would clarify anything or help the pacing, and there's an obvious need to hold down the effects shots. With possible pizzas for iJim and Drew, production costs are already spiraling out of control. tongue

Here is draft 3. I tried taking out the opening scene to save having to create the probe droid, but it felt weird telling about the inciting incident instead of showing it. I think it now draws more drama by making the conflict more personal, and the small tweak at the end of having Butterfly surreptitiously trace the communication instead of blatantly saying it provides the button the scene needs.

Zarban wrote:

I love some of these ideas, especially showing the probe droids returning, but I don't think it would clarify anything or help the pacing, and there's an obvious need to hold down the effects shots. With possible pizzas for iJim and Drew, production costs are already spiraling out of control. tongue

Here is draft 3. I tried taking out the opening scene to save having to create the probe droid, but it felt weird telling about the inciting incident instead of showing it. I think it now draws more drama by making the conflict more personal, and the small tweak at the end of having Butterfly surreptitiously trace the communication instead of blatantly saying it provides the button the scene needs.

Well, I don't charge much wink

My thoughts, for what they are worth:

• The probe droids returning to the ship are not loss. It's pretty obvious action that doesn't need a visual to indicate it. I agree on that point. Having a shadow hover over Butterfly and then retreat, plus the report, works pretty well.

• I'm rereading, but did you remove the cousin reference? Just curious on that but I also see places to put it back in.

• I like the ending to this script, both the trace, as well as the holgram fade and her looking to the sky. A good fade out moment, with fanfare and everything wink

• Possible thought-have Voyne offer to use her to replace Niken as the apprentice? It's little more than subtle word play but it was a thought that came to my mind.

I do like this version, overall. Works very well. Those are just some more food for thought.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Draft 3! You used some of my suggestions!

http://neoavatara.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/kermit-waving-arms.gif

It's weird, the knee-jerk Pavlov shit I have with the simple image of a felt frog being shaken.

All I hear is "YYAYAYYYAYYYYYYYYAYYY."

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:
  • The probe droids returning to the ship are not loss. It's pretty obvious action that doesn't need a visual to indicate it. I agree on that point. Having a shadow hover over Butterfly and then retreat, plus the report, works pretty well.

• I'm rereading, but did you remove the cousin reference? Just curious on that but I also see places to put it back in.

• I like the ending to this script, both the trace, as well as the holgram fade and her looking to the sky. A good fade out moment, with fanfare and everything wink

• Possible thought-have Voyne offer to use her to replace Niken as the apprentice? It's little more than subtle word play but it was a thought that came to my mind.

Yeah, I agreed with Teague's original note: the cousin link is out. We don't need a big back story or direct connection between them. Bad blood: 'nuff said.

Not sure what you mean about Voyne. He makes that offer explicitly.

Zarban wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

Yeah, I agreed with Teague's original note: the cousin link is out. We don't need a big back story or direct connection between them. Bad blood: 'nuff said.

Not sure what you mean about Voyne. He makes that offer explicitly.

Yeah, it was just a matter of phrasing in my head. It wasn't that important.

I liked the cousin link but I get why you would lose it. So, no worries there. Again, personal preference rather than something important.

Anyway, regardless, I still think it works.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would volunteer to grunt work some lightsabers but I expect the few frames I would be able to complete plus the pain of interfacing CS3 with whatever Teague uses wouldn't be worth it.

If Alex needs some female vocals for the music I can do that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Phi wrote:

...plus the pain of interfacing CS3 with whatever Teague uses...

Not nearly as difficult as you think it is. The hard part is going the other direction.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I may have to find my way up to Zarbania as well for this. I can't do any effects, but I can sure as hell hold things.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

Need a novelization? Naturally, given the massive lead time I'll need, I'll be working with the spec script and fill in any missing details with my own unsold story ideas...

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

Need a novelization? Naturally, given the massive lead time I'll need, I'll be working with the spec script and fill in any missing details with my own unsold story ideas...

That just made me think. A kids storybook with illustrations and the like would be pretty awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ooooh, plus then someone with drawing arty skills could do the thingies.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Or a graphic novel. That would be sweeeet.

I cannot imagine a motlier crew.
This is my kind of party.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down