Re: Zarban's lightsaber battle project

Teague wrote:

Ooooh, plus then someone with drawing arty skills could do the thingies.

Actually... why not go old school? Color (or even black and white) screenshots from the film, with the most basic of story under it? Or, even a film comic, movie frames arranged like a comic book, with word balloons pasted in. I use http://www.printtopress.com for my books, and so long as it's over 20 pages it will get a nice perfect bound cover.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This is all taking some of the edge off my nightmare at Laguardia Airport. It's sweltering in here and flights are getting canceled left and right.

EDIT: I was welcomed into the Delta Lounge, where the A/C was working, the grass was green, and the girls were pretty. My 5 PM flight left at 11 PM, and I stayed overnight in the very civilized Detroit Westin.

Last edited by Zarban (2014-07-04 14:01:56)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Location photos and tests of the kids and lightsaber components.

http://public.fotki.com/Tysto/showdown- … ?view=roll

My thought is that Butterfly will come thru the overgrown part, and we track her up to the fallen tree. Niken lands in the clearing and goes after her. (I might try to find another location that is clear but less manicured. I didn't realize my brother-in-law had neatened up the area so much.) They fight either right by the fallen tree or on the stone path next to the pond. The stone wall there is great, but the reverse angle is a broken-down boat house.

As for the lightsabers, my plan is to paint the grips black and the add-on pieces silver for the Sith and copper for the Jedi. I'll use the tape on the blades. Since the pieces will come apart (they're PVC compression fittings), we can take them off the blade and put them on a scrap piece so there's just the handle for the activation and deactivation shots. We'll probably stiffen the PVC blades with a dowel rod or something.

How long should the blades be? The kids are about 5 feet tall.

EDIT: The things next to the tape are LED flashlights. They come apart and might be added to the grips for more bling, or just hung from the belts for show.

Last edited by Zarban (2014-07-05 23:43:00)

It had to be done.

http://i.imgur.com/Xle0Bsf.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/OpOvwZx.jpg

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Awesome! Niken says he wants a red saber because that's what Sith have. Butterfly (she's sticking with that name) wants green.

Her wish is my command.

http://i.imgur.com/dXr3jYg.jpg

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Zarban wrote:

Location photos and tests of the kids and lightsaber components.

http://public.fotki.com/Tysto/showdown- … ?view=roll

My thought is that Butterfly will come thru the overgrown part, and we track her up to the fallen tree. Niken lands in the clearing and goes after her. (I might try to find another location that is clear but less manicured. I didn't realize my brother-in-law had neatened up the area so much.) They fight either right by the fallen tree or on the stone path next to the pond. The stone wall there is great, but the reverse angle is a broken-down boat house.

As for the lightsabers, my plan is to paint the grips black and the add-on pieces silver for the Sith and copper for the Jedi. I'll use the tape on the blades. Since the pieces will come apart (they're PVC compression fittings), we can take them off the blade and put them on a scrap piece so there's just the handle for the activation and deactivation shots. We'll probably stiffen the PVC blades with a dowel rod or something.

How long should the blades be? The kids are about 5 feet tall.

EDIT: The things next to the tape are LED flashlights. They come apart and might be added to the grips for more bling, or just hung from the belts for show.

I like the location a whole lot. Looks like a lot of fun.

Saber kits look pretty simple and easy for a project like this, which is why I prefer PVC. It can be assembled in many configurations smile

Paint can work. Also might consider bat grip tape to give a softer feel on the handles. Even gauze tape can work for that. Or a strip of leather.

Sorry your flight was so rough. Safe trip back!

Keep up the good work, Owen!

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Location video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDFUILaAMhw

I figure this is basically the opening shot, following Butterfly thru the woods to the broken tree, where she'll notice the shadow of the drone.

Nighttime kitchen test, per Teague.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArdPZDgZ-GQ

Nighttime car interior test to simulate the spaceship interior a little better.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LREvzJu … e=youtu.be

Reverse angle at the location and alternative fight area
http://public.fotki.com/Tysto/showdown- … h/005.html

Last edited by Zarban (2014-07-06 06:31:36)

borboletta in Portuguese
teetli in Hindi
papillon in French
Fleckenfalter in German
Cho in Japanese
dealan-dè in gaelic

I think you see what I'm doing here.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I've added photos of the spaceship interior. I think with a little lighting tweaking, change of chair for black leather office chair, and covering up of things like the sink and faucet, it will work great.

http://images51.fotki.com/v102/photos/8/1022498/13107056/023-vi.jpg

http://youtu.be/3diYW1mXbU4

Let me know how we'll need to cover the TV or mark the corners to do a screen replacement. The windows all have shades, so we can have those down, or let me know if you'd rather they be up and do a window replacement for star field. There's only one brief scene here, where Niken gets the alert, listens to it, and calls his master.

PS
The RV we will actually use will be similar, but just whichever one is the best of those currently in for exterior paint, preferably not a new one but rather one in for a re-paint, so there isn't plastic on the furniture.

Last edited by Zarban (2014-07-06 22:46:17)

Okay!

First of all, I'm encouraged by the footage tests. This camera can do what we need it to do. Not perfect for high-quality 3D tracking, but totally doable. Plus, free excuses where necessary — I'll take it! Thanks for filmin' those. There's also the possibility, if the Avengers assemble and all that, that there'd be another camera to fiddle with. No matter what, we're good. (I'mma do a test 3D track on your forest shot now, just for funsies.)

As for screen replacements, I'll come back at ya with a full treatise on filming for that stuff. (And if you could do me a favor and hand it off to all the TV directors in Hollywood, I'd be much obliged.) Beyond the actual shooting requirements, though, my instinct would be to put screens where there currently aren't. The TV could certainly be one, but so could the whole chunk of suspended cabinets, spare walls, windows, etc.. We can go exactly as nuts as we wanna go. Honestly, since we don't have concept art to live up to, the effects we end up doing will be mostly based on how much the footage wants to cooperate. If we can get a rock solid 3D track of the RV scenes, the sky — and our roto budget — are the limit for how TRON we can go.

As for outside-the-windows stuff, my instinct would be to leave them wide open (IE, glass closed, shades open) and pitch black. We get a lot of options that way, but my favorite of them would be starfields. Could also do screens, or even just leave them as photographed. They might drop off into obscurity with the color correction anyway. In any case, solid black with a small handful of subtle tracking markers will be the best bet.

I'll start working on his ship design. In the meantime, what are you thinkin' as far as production schedules go? Now that you may have an army of woodland creatures driving out to help shoot, picking a date will make their lives easier to plan.

EX. SITE.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The lightsabers are built; the costumes are under way; but family is coming for a visit the weekend of the 19th, so the weekend of the 25th seems likely for principle shoot, with pickups as necessary the following weekend.

I should have Darth Niken's costume ready by next weekend, so we'll do another camera test then.

I need to cobble together some kind of steadying rig. Simple homemade ones seem pretty effective at producing MUCH smoother moves. So maybe I'll try to create one of those first.

Also, I've ordered a shotgun mike. That seemed to be a better choice than lav mikes, at least in the reviews I could find, especially given that I know nothing about hiding mikes on actors, and my actors are children.

It will be trivial to black out the windows on the RV, by the way. They cover them when they paint, of course.

Zarban wrote:

I need to cobble together some kind of steadying rig. Simple homemade ones seem pretty effective at producing MUCH smoother moves. So maybe I'll try to create one of those first.

Also, I've ordered a shotgun mike. That seemed to be a better choice than lav mikes, at least in the reviews I could find, especially given that I know nothing about hiding mikes on actors, and my actors are children

1) I've made my own glidecam esque rig out of plumbing parts, a couple screws and a free weight. Works great, I can't find the tutorial I used atm, but I can upload a pic of my rig later if you want. Cost me like 20 bucks in total from a home depot run.

2) I pretty much exclusively shoot with a shotgun mic these days. You'll definitely want to have someone there to boom it for you. It's quite remarkable how much of a difference it makes in the sound quality compared to having it strapped to your camera.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Zarban wrote:

so the weekend of the 25th seems likely for principle shoot, with pickups as necessary the following weekend.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

You'll definitely want to have someone there to boom it for you. It's quite remarkable how much of a difference it makes in the sound quality compared to having it strapped to your camera.

I can do both of these things, should you want the company.

"Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants."

-- http://stilldrinking.org/programming-sucks

I'm pretty pumped for this. Teague, production management is going to be a thing (based on road trip). Do you have something you like using or are you happy for me to look around?
Edictive? Shotgun? Spreadsheet on Google Docs?

Last edited by Dave (2014-07-07 09:47:33)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can we clarify a couple of positions so I can keep clear track of where people are at, deliverables, and timelines? Let me know if this needs revision, and I know, alright. It's just a thing I do because, well, order.

• Script. Zarban, Bathilda, and Fireproof - is the script locked at v.3?

• Storyboards. Zarban do you want to do something rough and we can refine? Invid are you assisting? Can we get some rough boards for this weekend so everyone can begin looking at what we're going for?

• Shooting. Jim are you heading over to chateau Zarban to shoot on the weekend of the 25th?

• Edit. I'm happy to put my hand up for rough cut duties if the Doty is busy, but he's the Doty. And the Doty edits (this just in - if you say Doty 3 times he appears and critiques your home-made lasagne).

• VFX Sup. Teague, I assume you're putting this hat on, are you good to assemble troops and assign work / timelines? Happy to help here where I can.

• Sound. Holden, it appears you're the gent waving your hairy beast above some lucky people's heads on the 25th, Alex how's your availability early next month once there's a rough cut together?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

quick -- someone start a thread over on TFN!

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Dave wrote:

Can we clarify a couple of positions so I can keep clear track of where people are at, deliverables, and timelines? Let me know if this needs revision, and I know, alright. It's just a thing I do because, well, order.

• Storyboards. Zarban do you want to do something rough and we can refine? Invid are you assisting? Can we get some rough boards for this weekend so everyone can begin looking at what we're going for?

• Shooting. Jim are you heading over to chateau Zarban to shoot on the weekend of the 25th?

• Edit. I'm happy to put my hand up for rough cut duties if the Doty is busy, but he's the Doty. And the Doty edits (this just in - if you say Doty 3 times he appears and critiques your home-made lasagne).

• VFX Sup. Teague, I assume you're putting this hat on, are you good to assemble troops and assign work / timelines? Happy to help here where I can.

• Sound. Holden, it appears you're the gent waving your hairy beast above some lucky people's heads on the 25th, Alex how's your availability early next month once there's a rough cut together?

The script is locked.

I've been thinking about storyboards. I think I can do some this week.

Zarban wrote:
Dave wrote:

The script is locked.

I've been thinking about storyboards. I think I can do some this week.

Yep, what Zarban said.

Looking forward to the storyboards now smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave, yes, re: me.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

As I said, I'd also quite like to edit this. I'm happy to split the work though if you wanna do it that way?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen, you're on rough cut for the edit. Can you be available on the weekend of the 25th to start looking at Zarban's principle footage and put together something for Zarbs and Teague to work with?

Teague, do you have space for another roto monkey? I'm bereft of a job wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

1) I've made my own glidecam esque rig out of plumbing parts, a couple screws and a free weight. Works great, I can't find the tutorial I used atm, but I can upload a pic of my rig later if you want. Cost me like 20 bucks in total from a home depot run.

That would be great! I've looked at a few tutorials, but it's hard to know which is the best version/easiest to make. I have access to tools and people who know how to use them better than I.

Holden wrote:
Zarban wrote:

so the weekend of the 25th seems likely for principle shoot, with pickups as necessary the following weekend.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

You'll definitely want to have someone there to boom it for you. It's quite remarkable how much of a difference it makes in the sound quality compared to having it strapped to your camera.

I can do both of these things, should you want the company.

That would be awesome!

Dave wrote:

Owen, you're on rough cut for the edit. Can you be available on the weekend of the 25th to start looking at Zarban's principle footage and put together something for Zarbs and Teague to work with?

Teague, do you have space for another roto monkey? I'm bereft of a job wink

I shall keep it free!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

We need some rough 3d assets for the ship and probe droid, BDA, are you on deck?

Thumbs up Thumbs down