Topic: Stargate

So in a fit of nostalgia at the season finale of SGU, and needing something to do for the next three months until season 2, I threw in the original Stargate film (pretty bad), and then the SG-1 pilot (worse). OK, so that was a failure. I wanted to check out some of the show, though, and especially find out about this Lucian Alliance and Icarus Base, etc. So I've been watching season 9, which is actually pretty awesome. I like Ben Browder, and I'm glad that the Egyptian thing finally wore off.

But is there anything else in SG-1 I should skip back and watch? Is there like a good progression, 4-7 episodes from each season, that would get me a good portion of the plot, and tell me who is who?

And are Atlantis and Infinity worth watching at all? My gut tells me no, but I'm open to suggestions. What about the TV movies, too. I remember trying to watch Continuum, and not liking it, but that was a while ago.

Also: general Stargate discussion: go!

Posted from my iPad
http://trek.fm

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Stargate

Hmm...well I come into this a massive Stargate fan, having seen every episode of both series at least twice, so keep that in mind.

But honestly after the first season sg1 really picked up and I think basically every episode is worth watching because there is so much overlap of bad guys and plot points and characters that it can be hard to follow otherwise.

But if you want just the bare bones of the Lucian Alliance...

Season 9 Episode 16: Off the Grid
Season 10 Episode 9: Company of Thieves
Season 10 Episode 15: Bounty

And that's really all the direct contact we get with them before the blow up Icarus base.

As far as Icaurus base, we get even less about that. By which I mean the only time we see it is in SGU.

But yah like I said before, if you really wanted to know who was who it's really hard to nail them down because there is so much overlap between episodes. But if you really really want I could try to narrow it down a bit.

As far as Atlantis goes, the first little it was pretty rough, but then it really picked up and I really started to like it. And then I went back and watched the first bit again and it wasn't actually so bad. But it definitely gets better as it goes along. I would definitely say watch it (If only just for Chris Heyerdahl as Todd the Wraith)

Never even bothered to watch Infinity.

So yah, go STARGATE! (Probably the closest thing I have to a Brian level Star Trek obsession)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Been feeling nostalgic myself lately; re-watching SG-1 and TNG.  Loving Universe; can't wait to see what they can do with it.  Also enjoyed Atlantis, but I'm not sure what it's status is.  The end of the last season doesn't suggest an end to the series, but I haven't seen anything to suggest a next season.

Nah, the execs were once again being bastards. they canceled Atlantis like a bitch because they didn't want it interfering with Universe. So we're once again left wanting on another great TV show canceled before it's time.

There were talks of doing a movie to wrap it all up, but I haven't really heard anything that lends a whole lot of hope to that actually happening.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2010-06-16 15:49:34)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I heard they were going to do a crossover with CSI and call it CSI: Atlantis, but I've been known to be wrong. [takes off sunglasses]

Yeeeeooooooowwwww! [guitar sting]

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Yeah they did, well sort of. It was one of the last episodes of the season (Basically they found out they were cancelled, and were like, "fuck" so they just did something completely wild and out there to finish it off.), they did an entire episode in the style of a CSI episode.

It was actually a damn good impersonation and a damn good episode.

Season 5: Episode 19: Vegas, if you're interested.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2010-06-16 18:11:55)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

They should have gone out Blake's 7 style (or even Space: Above and Beyond style). Make it an ending to remember!

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Remind me to put "top five series or season finales in episodic television" up on the top-five thread when next it's my turn.

I've always had a soft spot for the "fuck it, everyone dies" kind of finale. Or even the "okay, no actual characters died, but fuck it, the premise of our show dies" kind.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There's an Atlantis movie written, and the sets are ready, but apparently there's some problems with the direct-to-DVD market, and actors' availability. And I wonder if at this point, they want to avoid confusion with the Universe…er…universe. It'd be weird to go back to hokey and tripodded when we've been watching Stargate: Galactica for a year.

I haven't gotten into Atlantis yet, so I dunno if I care about there being a movie. But I just finished season nine of SG1, and was pretty impressed. I actually think I prefer Browder to MacGuyver.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Jeffery Harrell wrote:

I've always had a soft spot for the "fuck it, everyone dies" kind of finale. Or even the "okay, no actual characters died, but fuck it, the premise of our show dies" kind.

Blake's 7 was especially fun in that regard when I watched it on the local PBS station long ago. I had no information on the show, so the constant death of the cast at the end of each season was a surprise (and as I wasn't keeping track you never knew when a season was ending). It's just not the same knowing what actors are leaving ahead of time...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid: Have you ever seen Farscape, it's somewhat similar. The cast is pretty much in  constant rotation (or at least the secondary characters for the most part.) and hey you know Muppets in Space, so woot for that! (And we also get to see our friends Ben Browder and Claudia Black again!)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Never got into Farscape for some reason. I was at the Worldcon (probably Baltimore) when Henson had preview trailers for both it and another show, iirc called "Brats in Space". We at first thought it was "Rats in Space", and I personally was so disappointed it wasn't I tended to ignore the Henson shows after that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

That's a shame, Farscape, for all it's camp is actually a pretty decent piece of sci-fi/fantasy. And I mean it's not really a "Henson" production in the typical use of the term, the creatures and stuff are actually pretty cool but otherwise it's just a cool piece of sci-fi.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Just got to the episode '200.'

What the WHAT

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

200 is an amazing piece of work unrivaled by modern television. it is also the sequel (of a sort) to the 100th episode.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

If you only watch one episode of Stargate ever, make it "Window of Opportunity."

"In the middle of my backswing?!"

The one with the black hole is solid science fiction too. I forget the name of that one.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh geez, I jus watched that one the other day. Timescape?

"A Matter of Time."

Amusingly, this apparently comes up often enough that "stargate black hole episode" is a Google suggestion.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I fully endorse Window of Opportunity. Nothing like groundhogs day with a wormhole.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Last year I went on a Netflix binge and, hand to god, watched the whole damn series. Took me months, one DVD after another.

The thing about Stargate SG-1 is that even when it was at its absolute worst, it was still pretty good. I don't know if I could say it was ever great, in the "Best of Both Worlds" sense, but it was solid, consistently above-average sci-fi TV for a freakin' decade, and that deserves some respect. Plus the had the stones to do the aforementioned black hole episode that used relativistic time dilation as a key plot point. Respect.

Never got into the spin-off, though. I've really been enjoying Universe — no spoilers; I'm about three weeks behind — but I could never get next to Atlantis for whatever reason.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like Firefly.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have "seen" SG on TV a lot, watched minutes here and there, never really got me. I will watch "Window of Opportunity" tomorrow and make a complete generalization of the series based on that. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

downinfront wrote:

I like Firefly.

Speaking of which, Morena Baccarin just showed up, as the creepy Ori commander.

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So when Claudia Black got added to the main cast, I said that they should redo the opening titles to have her chasing after SG-1 into the stargate…

And then they did it! Awesome!

Posted from my iPad

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Wow. What other mysterious powers do you have?

Thumbs up Thumbs down