Topic: The Rocketeer

Fun fact: this officially wins the silver medal in the "most-damned episode" category. (Titanic still has the gold.) A lot of things went wrong in the data portion of my job on this one, and only now, a day late and a buck short, do you finally get to enjoy it.

It's a fun episode, though, so we'll call it a win.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Rocketeer

More "damned" than Prometheus, Teague?

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

Oh.

Maybe bronze.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I love Animaniacs.

Last edited by Snail (2014-07-30 19:42:52)

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

I think the fact it was a Disney movie, back before Disney meant action film, had a lot to do with its failure. I know it kept me away. The trailer just looks... well, it screams TV movie smile I hadn't realized they changed the main female character. In the book, it's Betty Page, as the artist was one of those responsible for bringing her back into the spotlight in the early 80's. He was a pinup artist more than an illustrator, one reason there are so few Rocketeer comics by him. Jennifer Connelly is beautiful, but she's no Betty Page.

Bell in Buffalo developed early jetpacks. There was one at the Buffalo science museum awhile ago, which it seems is owned by the University of Buffalo. You can see it in action in the 70's kids TV series Ark II. Fun fact from the documentary on the Ark II DVDs: it only had around 30 seconds of fuel. When there was 10 seconds of flying time left, something started whacking you on the head telling you to get the fuck on the ground NOW. You didn't want to run out 100 feet up.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Murphy Ranch, the old nazi compound is great to wander around. The land around it used to be a park but was decommissioned when Schwarzenegger left office. If there's a fence at the lower entrance, I know the other way.

Wanna go check it out?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67689/img/murphyranch.jpg

Last edited by paulou (2014-07-30 22:59:29)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Great movie, and it does in fact sit next to my Indiana Jones collection (the colours match you see).

About Everest
Not only did the two Nepalis Sano Babu Sunuwar and Lakpa Tshiri Sherpa climb Everest and then paraglide down from the mountain, they then proceeded to kayak all the way to the Indian Ocean. Their adventures won the 2012 National Geographic Adventurers of the Year award.

Helicopters on Everest
Where does the myth come from that helicopter can't fly to the top of Everest (8848 meters)? It has been done few times and it was theoretical long before it was done. It was first done in 2005 on a unmodified turbo engine AS350 B3. One helicopter pilot I talked about this on a airshow once half jokingly told me that he thought it came from two movies, Cliffhanger and Vertical Limit.

Last edited by AshDigital (2014-07-30 22:08:49)

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

It may also come from the fact there aren't rescue helicopters at Everest. If it was possible, the thinking goes, there would be. Obviously there are a ton of other factors.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

OK, about the Nazi compound. Why the hell did they think Hitler would need a HQ on the WEST coast? Can you imagine Germany trying to send a D-Day sized invasion force, plus all its supplies and re-enforcements, first TO the Pacific ocean, then across it? I think they just wanted a place to drink and bring their women.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It was a cunning plan, crazy like a fox!
It was just crazy enough to work...  and they would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for them meddlin kids.

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.

They've recently fenced in Murphy Ranch much more than it used to be. I went with a group in October and everything was fairly accessible, but a friend and I went there just a month or so ago and it was much more locked down. We still got into one building (the one before the water tank), but the rest of it was inaccessible.

Did you try to get in down the infinity stairs?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/67689/img/murphyranch2.jpg

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Always been a fan of The Rocketeer, good to see it getting some love smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

lol, what are you doing, commentary?

I remember there was a big marketing push for this movie when it came out (at least geared towards 11-year-old me) - and I was stoked to see it.  I even think I was the Rocketeer that year for Halloween (or was it Darkman?)  Anyway, loved it at the time, but watched it recently and it bored me to tears.  It's just not a fun movie to watch.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, I'm not really in the "Rocketeer is awesome," camp.  Not that is not without its merits, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near Raiders.  Harmless movie though.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

I'm not really in the "Rocketeer is awesome," camp.

+1

I watched it for the first time a few months ago and, while it seemed competently made, I didn't find it particularly engaging (it's nowhere near Star Wars, BTTF or Indy). Still better than The Goonies though (I liked The Goonies as a kid, but it really didn't hold up to an adult viewing for me).

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I loved this episode. I got a big kick out of your off-topic, free-form blues-jazz (wait, no, jazz-blues) odyssey.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I was a little bummed I couldn't be in on the live-chat for this one. I wanna say I saw this as a kid but I don't remember. I think my dad was really into it though because they were promoting it on our first trip to Walt Disney World. They had a guy dressed as The Rocketeer on a jetpack fly around during their Sorcery in the Sky show.

Fun movie and fun commentary!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree it was probably a combination of marketing and T2. I absolutely recall the talk about T2 and the effects. I was living in Fremont, CA at the time they filmed the office building gunfight.

As for The Rocketeer, that was a live action movie from the people who made cartoons, right? Given a choice between a live-action Disney movie or F*cking Terminator, I think people didn't even consider The Rocketeer. There's lots to like about the movie, but there's no way it could stand up to the Terminator. Check out the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eajuMYNYtuY

I post because I care.
  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
"Feel free to flame me. I don't like Legends of Korra or Gravity, either."

OK, IDK why anybody would even think this, but Jennifer Connelly DID NOT have a breast reduction! If yo look at her in this movie, even, she isn't that big. The only time she looks large, is when she is in a role where she has gained a little weight, because if you know anything about women, those things expand and contract as her dress size changes. If you are married, or just have a girlfriend that has been pregnant, you would she this dramatically. Sure they get bigger because of the milk thing, but allot of it is due to the extra fat that a woman gains.
My wife has a very large B-Size, but over the last 15 yrs I have known her, she has been on diets, and before that was pregnant with our daughter.  They have been down to a 32D, up To a 36EE, now back down to a 38DDD.   
The only actress that is confirmed for sure that had a breast reduction is the Punky Brewster girl.

Last edited by mkeithddc (2014-08-04 01:46:09)

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down

Yeah, was a real bummer that like, any time was spent talking about that.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

In the beginning god created Jennifer Connelly. Jennifer connelly was without form and void, and the Spirit of God was over the face of her. And God said, "Let there be boobs," and there were boobs. And God saw that the boobs were good; and God separated the boobs from one another..... On the final Day, God finished the Jennifer Connelly, and he spoke onto her. "Jennifer Connelly, thou shalt go forth and bring erections to all men, cause jealousy in most women, sharing thine divine beauty with the world. Thine skin shall radiate unknown powers amongst men, causing teeny spots upon thine pants, and they shall go away ashamed, but knowest thou that thine powers be used for good. Especially in "The Hot Spot". And Jennifer Connelly said, "Kay."

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think my interpretation of what you said and then your interpretation of what I said were both inaccurate.

Last edited by paulou (2014-08-04 02:08:56)

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Must admit that I found this movie to be an absolute snoozefest. The main character has no character, who cares about your dreams of flying? Not me! I like the dude, but his character has nowhere to go. The nazi plot should have been introduced way earlier, as it is now the plot has no tension, in fact most of the drama is spent on a tepid love triangle. And the Rocketeer does an awful little amount of rocketeering, almost none of it awesome. Timothy Dalton, on the other hand, is awesome.

There's probably something to having some knowledge of the era and some nostalgia for what they were trying to emulate. It didn't work for me and I think the throwback style, the really unexciting plot and the heavy reliance on romance alienated the movie to a lot of different people in different ways. Little depth, unbalanced, too little too late, I think.

The carpentry is serviceable, the decor has that old timey charm, but the party is a dud. And the music, the music is horrible! I think the movie would be twice as good without that horrible score to be honest.

Sorry, very harsh (too harsh?), but this really wasn't for me it turns out. And it is nowhere near Raiders, Back to the Future or Star Wars, not even close.

Though nice surprise seeing Melora Hardin as a sultry songstress.

The Low Frequenter

Thumbs up Thumbs down