Topic: What should we let be lost?

A few weeks ago, I found myself reminded of a children's TV show I had, in all honesty, never thought of since at least middle school: The Great Space Coaster. It was a live action syndicated show about three human singers on an asteroid with a bunch of puppets. It ran for five seasons in the early 80's, and I remember at least enjoying it. This led me to looking for episodes on Youtube, reading the wiki, etc. Apparently, the episodes are on tape slowly deteriorating. One of the cast members got some money together to save a few episodes, but the rest will probably be lost.

My first thought, naturally, was "damn, that's a shame. Someone should save them."

My next thought was, "Why?"

We live in a world where most of what humans have created before the 20th Century is lost forever. We also live in a world where everything created NOW can, theoretically, live forever digitally. But, should it? Is there any reason an average children's show shouldn't be lost forever? Or every episode of The Rockford Files or Star Trek? After the "that's a shame" moment, the world will move on. We will create something else. That idea comes to mind when I think of the BBC destroying early Doctor Who episodes. They were created to, literally, be disposable. The royalties contracts for BBC were set up to make it impossible for any given episode to be shown in the UK more than twice, after which a copy was made for overseas and the original tape was wiped. It was, partly I think, to keep everyone involved in making TV projects employed. Everyone from creators to actors to stage hands worked all year long because you couldn't show old episodes.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this, but I'll throw it out there. Is there a value to saving EVERYTHING?

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: What should we let be lost?

If there's value in making it, there's value in saving it.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

It's certainly not a shame to lose most things, since most things stink. But (like the rainforest) there's no telling what might turn out to be of historical or artistic (or medicinal) value.

It's fun just to think of people 1000 years from now really getting into, say, MASH or The West Wing. We have only tiny snippets of most cultures from 1000 years ago. Scholars write whole books on Anglo-Saxon riddles. What will they make of 25 years of The Simpsons? ("We postulate that there once was a 2D film called Showgirls that was about female dancers and was considered a laughingstock. Sadly, this film has been lost to history, so we can't fully appreciate Homer's reference here.")

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

Zarban wrote:

("We postulate that there once was a 2D film called Showgirls that was about female dancers and was considered a laughingstock. Sadly, this film has been lost to history, so we can't fully appreciate Homer's reference here.")

Omg. I just want an entire youtube series of this. That would be amazing.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Yeah, you never know what might be appreciated or viewed as significant by people in the future.

Emily Dickinson's poems weren't widely read in her lifetime. They were just papers in her house. Later, people were like, "Oh hey, this woman was a genius. How 'bout that?" Now she's required reading in every American poetry course.

So you never know. I'd err on the side of saving shit if you can.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, now that we have the technology, it's worth saving everything we can, just in case. I'm always astounded when I hear about a beloved film that was ignored when it was released. I was watching the special features on Criterion's Eyes Without a Face blu-ray and some scholar said that the film was universally DESPISED upon release, and that one critic who admitted to liking it was FIRED because no one with that opinion could POSSIBLY have any taste.

It's now universally regarded as a classic. It's kinda arrogant, in a weird way, to assume that our opinions will always hold true throughout all of the future. But consensus is ingrained in our brains as important so we'll never really be able to let go of it.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2014-07-31 03:26:41)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It's not up to me. I am here to watch and observe, not decide things.

X-Files.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It should be pointed out that there are no long term storage solutions for digital content, Movies are still being printed to film and locked in mines.  yikes

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

That's just what the government wants you to think wink

I will freely admit to being a bit of a hoarder in that I save things for years because I think I might need them some day. Given the way we weep and cry over the loss of information at the Library of Alexandria burning or other such tragedies, I'm inclined to say save it, at least writings and movies and such.

And even there is no long term "plan" for saving media (save for an old salt mine) many schools have created databases of material for online libraries. So, I imagine it is only a matter of time before a larger database is created to preserve knowledge.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The NSA is building a super data storage centre in Utah that'll store everyone's phone & internet traffic. Backing up movies/TV should be simple by comparison.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The NSA is building a super data storage centre in Utah that'll store everyone's phone & internet traffic. Backing up movies/TV should be simple by comparison.

Indeed.

Really, I don't know why we are worried. Torrents will out live us all and the NSA will documented everything.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah. When I'm writing a paper, I make sure to add anti-American sentiments so that if my laptop crashes and I lose it, the NSA will have a handy backup.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile