Topic: The Suggestioning

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Suggestioning

RE: theme parks -- it should be pointed out (the guys were a bit fuzzy on this during the ep) that none of the discussed parks are stand-alone. Star Wars Land will be Disney; Wizarding World of Harry Potter is Universal Studios. WWHP will have its own discrete entrance, the same way California Adventure has a discrete entrance from Disneyland, but it's a Universal Studios experience.

What I'm surprised no one brought up is that these theme parks/lands/however you want to think of them are based on media for which a tremendous chunk of its appeal is the world of the story itself.

Yes, people love Harry Potter for the whole adventure good-vs-evil story, but what they love even more -- what really made it transcend other stories of the same kind -- is the idea that THEY could someday get a Hogwarts letter and go get a wand at Ollivanders and walk through the doors of the Great Hall for the Sorting. People love Luke and Leia and Han but -- as we are all well aware -- they love even more the idea of living in that world, of swinging their own lightsaber or piloting their own fighter in a space battle. Avatar -- for which Disney is also building a Land in Florida -- didn't make a billion dollars because anyone gave a tin shit about Jake and Neytiri, it made a billion dollars because people wanted to take a three hour trip to Pandora as many times as they could.

So given the resources, why WOULDN'T you do the obvious thing and make that world people want to inhabit a world they can inhabit?

EDIT: LOCKE is great. Watched it because it's very much the aesthetic and sensibility I want for a project I'm hacking away at. The guys know what I'm talking about, hopefully the rest of you will soon enough too. But yeah, it's Tom Hardy in a car taking phone calls - half of them about pouring concrete for god's sake - and it's somehow riveting.

The other recent (couple years now but) 80s throwback action flick Trey may have been thinking of is JACK REACHER.

Last edited by Dorkman (2014-09-24 08:53:16)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My question was laughed at and dismissed, which was fun smile

This is the first I'm hearing of an Avatar land in Disney World. While I love the idea, every time they do something like this I pull out Walt Disney's original pitch of what that land was going to be used for, and shed a tear for what could have been...

Then I laugh at how it could have crashed and burned spectacularly if they had tried  tongue

https://sites.google.com/site/theoriginalepcot/

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Why is no one mentioning the Trey Dick song?  That had me howling in the car.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

smile

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Are there some effects artifacts hanging on for all the talky after the song?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, there's reverb on the whole episode. I have no idea why — it's not something I added, it was in the recording too.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

The what what?

Tricky Dick. The Tricky Dick song. That's what he meant. No reason for you to listen to the episode, Trey. Just move along...

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

If Eddie didn't say it, I was going to. Forumers be slacking

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trey wrote:
Eddie wrote:

The what what?

Listen to the episode, not the video.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tricky Moby Dick...

Dorkman wrote:

Avatar -- for which Disney is also building a Land in Florida -- didn't make a billion dollars because anyone gave a tin shit about Jake and Neytiri, it made a billion dollars because people wanted to take a three hour trip to Pandora as many times as they could.

From what I'm seeing from coworkers in Cali, it's going to be pretty fantastic and exciting when it's all done. Probably some of the strongest work I've seen come out of imagineering in a long while.

Personally speaking, I wish that we could see more original concepts like the early days of Disney. Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, etc. The trend these days is to base rides/lands on existing properties. Which is fine, but it'd be nice to embrace originality and imagination again. Hong Kong Disneyland's Mystic Manor is a hit and it's not based on anything. (pssst Teague: Danny Elfman scored that attraction) I kinda feel like I'm in the minority, though..

Thanks for doing this episode, guys! Great listen.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I wonder how much of that comes from the creative side. Given it's all work for hire, if you come up with a new, brilliant idea for an attraction, Disney owns it and you see no royalties. Why give them your best stuff? Unless that's not the case.

Regarding animation, Hullabaloo is a crowd funded cel animated project a bunch of Disney animators are putting together.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hull … mated-film
Their pitch is they're trying to save cel animation by showing what it can do for a small budget, to get the kids into it. Given most anime is still 2D, I'd say it's not dying. Miyazaki's last film, The Wind Rises, cost $30 million for two hours of animation and looks incredible. Frozen cost $150 million. If you have the artists, you can do a good hand drawn cel animated film for a reasonable amount of money.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

Oh good that wasn't just me. I was listening to it as I was falling asleep so I had no idea if I dreamed that or not.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eddie wrote:

If it's not on Adventures in Faking This, I will retroactively un-produce the album.

Loved this episode. These past few seem like they've been really cathartic for Trey.

Next Intermission, can you drop the pretense and just call it "Things That Annoy Trey"?

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I still think that if they ever wanted to do some sort of fundraiser, going through the episodes and editing together a "Story Time With Trey" episode would be a good idea smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Herc wrote:

Loved this episode. These past few seem like they've been really cathartic for Trey.

Next Intermission, can you drop the pretense and just call it "Things That Annoy Trey"?

Invid wrote:

I still think that if they ever wanted to do some sort of fundraiser, going through the episodes and editing together a "Story Time With Trey" episode would be a good idea smile

I approve both of these messages. Battleship is still one of my favorite Intermissions as I wouldn't wish that movie viewing experience on anyone, especially Trey. Also, My Favorite Martian was incredibly enjoyable because of Trey's stories.

So, yes please big_smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also I wanna solve a crime with him in the 70s so we can be Blokes & Stokes.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Boy this episode was all over the place.

About the Ed Catmull's wage fixing scandal, Sony was not in on the shenanigans. In fact Sony declined to participate with the "cartel".

---------------------------------------------
I would never lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation.