Topic: Documentality — Horror Docs

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

Just so you know:

Memphis is a city in Tennessee.  West Memphis is a small town in Arkansas.

Memphis has a population of about 700,000. 20th largest city in the country. 1.3 million in the metro area. Majority Black. Fairly liberal. We don't think of ourselves as a Southern city. We are a river city. The Birthplace of Rock n Roll.

West Memphis is essentially a giant truck stop. Population about 25,000. It's across the river from Memphis but you can't even see it from here. The flood plain extends for miles. It's a town of farmers and folks who work at Denny's.

Please don't confuse Memphis and West Memphis.

Last edited by The Mutt (2014-10-28 04:23:26)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

I don't think we did — did we?

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

Teague wrote:

I don't think we did — did we?

No, you didn't. But I have heard so many people do it over the years. I was thinking of your listeners who have never been south. It's a bugaboo for me. I was living in Memphis when the whole thing went down, and I even heard national TV anchors say Memphis when they meant West Memphis.

Last edited by The Mutt (2014-10-28 05:32:47)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

Ah, yeah. That'd be annoying. I feel ya.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

Sorry if you thought I was coming at you guys. I thought it was a great episode.

Like anybody, I feel protective of my hometown. Like when people say Memphis is the city that killed Martin Luther King. MLK was not from here. James Earl Ray was not from here. Their paths just happened to cross here. But what do people remember about Memphis? Besides Elvis. Who was not from here either.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

The Mutt wrote:

But what do people remember about Memphis? Besides Elvis. Who was not from here either.

So what does Memphis have going for it exactly? wink

Extended Edition - 131 Pirate Of the Caribbean 5
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

Good music and food.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

Jerry Lawler.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

The Mutt wrote:

Sorry if you thought I was coming at you guys. I thought it was a great episode.

Like anybody, I feel protective of my hometown. Like when people say Memphis is the city that killed Martin Luther King. MLK was not from here. James Earl Ray was not from here. Their paths just happened to cross here. But what do people remember about Memphis? Besides Elvis. Who was not from here either.

Hey, here in Buffalo we're proud we killed President McKinley. Especially because the President who DID sort of come from here didn't do squat in office, so having a claim on both McKinley and Teddy Roosevelt is an improvement smile

(I still have an old LP called "We Killed McKinley" with a bunch of local groups, including early Goo Goo Dolls)

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

Good Episode. I listened to it while doing dishes...yes I let that many dishes pile up.

There is a book that I read, well actually I listened to the audiobook, so I had it read to me, like a baby...

The Devil's Knot (Audible Link)

It, like most good books about misunderstood modern historical events, is written by an investigative journalist. It also goes a bit too deep into the theory that Mark Byers kill the kids, but does a bit better of a job as presenting it in a way that says "this guy might not have done it, but certainly he should makes a better subject than the boys, and if the cops were doing their job..."

As for America having confusing city naming conventions, I agree and it needs to stop. I'm looking at you Kansas City Missouri and you Kentucky Bend.

--
One Time @ Bland Camp...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

Invid wrote:
The Mutt wrote:

Sorry if you thought I was coming at you guys. I thought it was a great episode.

Like anybody, I feel protective of my hometown. Like when people say Memphis is the city that killed Martin Luther King. MLK was not from here. James Earl Ray was not from here. Their paths just happened to cross here. But what do people remember about Memphis? Besides Elvis. Who was not from here either.

Hey, here in Buffalo we're proud we killed President McKinley. Especially because the President who DID sort of come from here didn't do squat in office, so having a claim on both McKinley and Teddy Roosevelt is an improvement smile

(I still have an old LP called "We Killed McKinley" with a bunch of local groups, including early Goo Goo Dolls)

There's an utterly fantastic Stephen Sondheim musical called Assassins all about every person to ever kill, or attempt to kill, a U. S. president, and your town's song is one of my favorites from the whole soundtrack.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

Oh, yes. I saw a local production a few years ago. There's a video of the entire Broadway version on Youtube, with Neil Patrick Harris.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

The Cropsey doc is on Youtube. Having just watched it, I have to say I would have preferred a good half hour trimmed from it. Lots of padding, long scenes of the filmmakers walking through ruins for no real reason (including one a night because, you know, scary). All the information was hearsay, which while the point, after a while made my ears glaze over. Dragging Satanists into it didn't help, especially as this almost seemed to be the final answer of the filmmakers. A famous Satanic Priest lives nearby? Well, you should have brought that up before and followed that thread instead of having more long walks.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

Jdubs wrote:

Good Episode. I listened to it while doing dishes...yes I let that many dishes pile up.

There is a book that I read, well actually I listened to the audiobook, so I had it read to me, like a baby...

The Devil's Knot (Audible Link)

It, like most good books about misunderstood modern historical events, is written by an investigative journalist. It also goes a bit too deep into the theory that Mark Byers kill the kids, but does a bit better of a job as presenting it in a way that says "this guy might not have done it, but certainly he should makes a better subject than the boys, and if the cops were doing their job..."

As for America having confusing city naming conventions, I agree and it needs to stop. I'm looking at you Kansas City Missouri and you Kentucky Bend.

A movie based on that book came out fairly recently, although I heard it wasn't very good.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Documentality — Horror Docs

Was just listening to this one again — at one point Paul says, "that's like entering a painting of a crime scene into evidence," and I just wanted to make sure someone had given him props for that cool analogy.

Cool analogy bro.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down