Topic: The Iron Giant

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: The Iron Giant

101 Dalmations Background Art: http://colorfulanimationexpressions.blo … y.html?m=1

Last edited by paulou (2014-11-12 19:56:31)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I mentioned it a bit in the chat but in WB's animation line-up, there was Cats Don't Dance in '97, which also bombed and had little to no marketing. I actually saw this one in theaters (but only remember the scene where the studio got flooded) and then gave it a second chance a few years back. Musical numbers are fun, and was the last project Gene Kelly worked on as a choreographer. I recommend giving it a watch if you ever get the chance! Think it's all up on YouTube somewhere, possibly in parts.

For those interested, MondoTees put up some exclusive The Iron Giant goodies yesterday, including a replica of the bolt.
http://mondotees.com

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'd like to apologize to Paul on behalf of everyone else on the panel, for we had no idea how fucking unexaggerated he was being in his depiction of the Iron Giant marketing.

Jesus.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Random Story, my Dad likes telling the story of seeing a theater marquee saying "Iron Giant Dick."

Last edited by Snail (2014-11-12 23:04:33)

"Life is about movies; anything else is a bonus!"- Me   cool

My parents took me to see Cats Don't Dance and The Iron Giant in theaters. I'm surprised WB hasn't sent us a "thanks for trying" letter.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Review my illustration professor's kid gave me for The Iron Giant. I keep this in the DVD case because there's nothing other than the disc in there anyway. My professor who actually worked on the film had a much nicer DVD case with exclusive art for the team. Super jealous.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/901/RVjPYj.jpg

Last edited by Morgan (2014-11-13 01:05:14)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I love this movie.

I don't remember a time I didn't have the VHS for this (along with Mulan and Toy Story). I've seen this about a billion times and love it to death. I even had a foot tall action figure of the Giant whose arms could come off and its eyes glowed.

I remember Cartoon Network playing it on loop for all of Thanksgiving one year (back when Cartoon Network was consistently good).

Ahh, good times :)

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

First time I ever cried watching a movie. Popped my cherry; now all it takes is, like, a kid hugging a puppy with a few notes of a string cue and I'm a leaky bucket of sponges.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Atta Drew.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

drewjmore wrote:

First time I ever cried watching a movie. Popped my cherry; now all it takes is, like, a kid hugging a puppy with a few notes of a string cue and I'm a leaky bucket of sponges.

Yup. The end of Wishes (the fireworks show) gets me every time, now. This didn't happen before! CURSE YOU MOVIES.

clap
Great Choice.....Can't wait to listen....

Miyazaki Movie: Laputa, Castle in the Sky?

ThrowbackSoul wrote:

Miyazaki Movie: Laputa, Castle in the Sky?

Yeah! And the Laputa robots are the same as the ones in that episode of Lupin Miyazaki directed riffing on the Fliescher Superman short where that inventor trains robots to rob banks and steal jewels.

Dizzying full circle.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Can you get me a title for that Lupin flick?  I love me some Lupin....

Farewell My Beloved Lupin, 1980

Never got in to Lupin, my fake-knowledge here comes from three minutes of clicking around and 10 watching that superman short.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Regarding Warner Brothers animation, The 1990's saw them in the midst of TV boom. They were cranking out DC superhero shows of amazing quality. Naturally, with all these animators on staff, they figured why not once again try and crack the Disney feature monopoly. Didn't go well. Even all their superhero films went straight to video after Phantasm.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Huh, I never realized it til now, but apparently I'm a huge fan of the WB feature animation thing.

Quest for Camelot-loved it, haven't seen it in a while, but the pit scene stills sends chills down my spine
Osmosis Jones- Love everything to do with it
Space Jam- Pinnacle of my childhood still watch it every 6 months or so
And I even liked most of Back in Action.

The Iron Giant is actually the least among them, I remember we went to go see it in theaters, but I would have only been 7 or 8 at the time, so I don't remember anything about the movie. But I do distinctly remember the giant Iron Giant poster that was in the lobby of theater when we went, (childhood memories are weird). And then I think I only ever watched it once or twice since then.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I'm surprised that no one mentioned that The Dark Knight Rises has almost the exact same climax and falling action of this movie.

(I think about this movie a lot)

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

MadBadCoyote wrote:

I'm surprised that no one mentioned that The Dark Knight Rises has almost the exact same climax and falling action of this movie.

It's also similar to The Avengers  wink

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Invid wrote:

Regarding Warner Brothers animation, The 1990's saw them in the midst of TV boom. They were cranking out DC superhero shows of amazing quality.

Aside from superhero shows, we also got great comedies like Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Freakazoid, Pinky & The Brain, and short-lived Histeria (which I think was the last of that whole run). If I recall, most of those were animated overseas. I know Tiny Toons was, same with Batman. The same studio that gave us Little Nemo.

BigDamnArtist wrote:

Quest for Camelot-loved it, haven't seen it in a while, but the pit scene stills sends chills down my spine
Osmosis Jones- Love everything to do with it
Space Jam- Pinnacle of my childhood still watch it every 6 months or so
And I even liked most of Back in Action.

Never saw Quest, but it did give us that Celine Dion song...

Space Jam I was horribly obsessed with, Lola Bunny specifically because she was so damn cool. I purposely would give myself a pigtail at the front of my head so I could try to blow it up, like Lola did with her ears. Further evidence I wasn't a cool kid.
Soundtrack holds up though!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

"Duck and Cover" has come up in several conversations I've had over the last few weeks. Everyone seems to think it was some senseless thing, but it was and is sound science. We did a LONG unit in sophomore english class on the book "Hiroshima," which goes into some gruesome detail of the injuries sustained by those not killed instantly by the nuclear blast.

Wiki says:

Within a considerable radius from the surface of the nuclear fireball, 0–3 kilometers...ducking and covering would offer negligible protection... . Beyond that range, however, many lives would be saved by following the simple advice, especially since at that range the main hazard is not from ionizing radiation but from blast injuries and sustaining thermal flash burns to unprotected skin.

Of course there are those who feel that surviving a WWIII level nuclear attack would be worse than dying in one, to which I have no solid counterpoint.

Last edited by drewjmore (2014-11-14 16:46:15)

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Morgan wrote:

Space Jam I was horribly obsessed with, Lola Bunny specifically...

Ditto...although for different and similar reasons I imagine.

*cough*

MOVING ON...

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Morgan wrote:
Invid wrote:

Regarding Warner Brothers animation, The 1990's saw them in the midst of TV boom. They were cranking out DC superhero shows of amazing quality.

Aside from superhero shows, we also got great comedies like Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Freakazoid, Pinky & The Brain, and short-lived Histeria (which I think was the last of that whole run). If I recall, most of those were animated overseas. I know Tiny Toons was, same with Batman. The same studio that gave us Little Nemo.

The storyboards were done in the US, and a few different studios did the animation. TMS was the main one, doing the best work, but they'd sometimes farm episodes out. You can tell the difference. TMS did the storyboards for one Batman episode, because they begged to, making that the one "anime" BTAS episode by my definition.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My two-year-old daughter has watched most of the Iron Giant. She lost interest during many of the actionier parts, but liked most of the scenes where the 'big robot' was playing with Hogarth.

Also, Spiff wanted to name our son Hogarth. I vetoed that one.

Thumbs up Thumbs down