Topic: Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens Trailer (Spoilers)

Wuhhhh, I'm the first to the punch.  I planned on coming here to read pages of talk.

My thoughts though, I liked it. It was kind of surreal.  Was expecting more from a JJ trailer + Star Wars, but I liked it.  Seeing Luke in the cockpit made my eyes light up.

But what was with the fan filmy forest shot of the (triple bladed?) lightsaber?  A lil tacky. Besides that, looking forward to more.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens Trailer (Spoilers)

Can someone report on Dorkman's reaction (yes or no card)?

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

To watch or not to watch. That is the question.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm crotchety guy who's not really super excited for more Star Wars in the first place, though I was hoping to be won over by the trailer. It was decent, but honestly my biggest disappointment with it is J.J. Abrams. The Star Wars episodes all have a very restrained, composed camera aesthetic that I was hoping Abrams would remain true to. Instead he's just doing his frenetic thing and as a result it doesn't really LOOK like Star Wars to me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

To watch or not to watch. That is the question.

It's a fairly typical teaser; it reveals only minor things that most people know already. I wouldn't worry too much.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

C-Spin wrote:

I'm crotchety guy who's not really super excited for more Star Wars in the first place, though I was hoping to be won over by the trailer. It was decent, but honestly my biggest disappointment with it is J.J. Abrams. The Star Wars episodes all have a very restrained, composed camera aesthetic that I was hoping Abrams would remain true to. Instead he's just doing his frenetic thing and as a result it doesn't really LOOK like Star Wars to me.

Ill take that over the staginess of the prequels any day really.

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

I'm not going media Blackout for this one. I like star wars, but I don't go to it for thriller material. I don't really care if it's spoiled for me.

As for the lightsaber,  the "crossguard" looks more like flames, like it's almost a plasma vent instead of blades. The blade itself also seems rough-looking. Maybe this is a long-ago flashback with a more primitive lightsaber?

The Falcon maneuver was awesome.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The first shot was really goofy:P

I dunno. Looks shiny

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fine, I watched the damned thing. I figured I would not be able to escape it anyway, unless I disconnected from the Internet for a year.

And shit, I'm excited. It's a teaser, so there's not enough material to say a definite "This is gonna rock" or "This is gonna suck". But in the mean time... NEW STAR WARS PICTURES! WITH VFX AND STUFF! The CG Millenium Falcon gave me goosebumps. And the X-Wings flying over the water scene looked insane.

Jacob H wrote:
C-Spin wrote:

I fully agree with this. I like the restrained aesthetic C-Spin is talking about in SW, but yeah, let's see what JJ can do. The stormtrooper part felt surreal, I want to see more of it.

Holy shit, you guys, there's a new Star Wars coming.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

Fine, I watched the damned thing. I figured I would not be able to escape it anyway, unless I disconnected from the Internet for a year.

And shit, I'm excited. It's a teaser, so there's not enough material to say a definite "This is gonna rock" or "This is gonna suck". But in the mean time... NEW STAR WARS PICTURES! WITH VFX AND STUFF! The CG Millenium Falcon gave me goosebumps. And the X-Wings flying over the water scene looked insane.

Jacob H wrote:
C-Spin wrote:

I fully agree with this. I like the restrained aesthetic C-Spin is talking about in SW, but yeah, let's see what JJ can do. The stormtrooper part felt surreal, I want to see more of it.

Holy shit, you guys, there's a new Star Wars coming.

And it's the first one since 1983 where we actually don't know what's gonna happen at the end!

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

I'm not digging the lightsaber at all. Talk about impractical...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Eh. I guess if you're good, you can cut your nails while you're fighting.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Lamer wrote:

Like Lightsabers have ever been practical, 100 percent rule of cool.

I just loved the hell out of how the blade looked on it.

Last edited by Jacob H (2014-11-28 20:15:44)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lamer wrote:

Lightsabers are only practical because Jedi/Sith can use their forcey powers and wield them like champs without killing themselves. I don't see why they couldn't do that with this three-pronged saber too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lamer wrote:

Actually, a crossguard is extremely practical on those things. Otherwise it's incredibly easy to just slice the handle open.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Brotherhood Of The Cruciform Lightsaber? lol

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up 0 Thumbs down

Man it's been forever since I posted.

I wanna say, i love the new lightsaber in concept, not cause of the three blade thing, but cause it looks, different. it doesn't just seem like a fancier version of the telescoping one i can buy at wal mart, but an actual blade of Plasma.  One thing i don't get, and this is probably because 15 years of reading star wars books and comics and whatnot ruined me. is why people are confused by the fact storm troopers and an empire still exists. Yes, i know yay emperor is dead and all, but seriously? The empire was more than just a guy afterall.

I do like i won't know whats going on anymore, really in any of the series. As much as i lamented the death of the old EU because we were finally getting a series about the next generation of characters, i wasn't particularly worried anybody important would die because either it was set in the past and we knew the outcome, or Legacy told us X survived long enough to have a baby and X had yet to have said baby.

idk, i just like the better lightsaber graphic.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The new saber effect doesn't sit well with me--it's the same complaint Ryan had on the ROTS commentary. Too opaque, looks painted in. TPM and TESB are still the gold standard as far as I'm concerned. Still, as Teague ' s Jurassic World trailer post on Reddit should remind us, trailer VFX are by no means finished VFX, so I'm not overly concerned.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The new saber is actually pretty practical. With it, you can block attacks with the saber pointed at a forward angle, which probably expands your range of fighting motion.

Also, that's not Luke in the cockpit, that's Oscar Isaac's character.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

The new saber effect doesn't sit well with me--it's the same complaint Ryan had on the ROTS commentary. Too opaque, looks painted in.

I would argue the exact opposite, I think it looks like a real solid thing...that happens to be emitting light. This version actually feels like a beam of contained plasma instead of just a bar of light.

But that aside I'll take this active living plasma look over the solid beam of light we've had til now any day. It just looks meaner. Which, at least for a Sith, is badass, I'd have to wait to see what the Jedi one looks like.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-11-29 00:34:22)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I think it's funny how, after all these years, Steven Spielberg is finally directing a Star Wars movie.

I mean, JJ's touches are visible here (that upside-down shot of the Falcon, first and foremost) but the opening shot of the trailer + the shot of Daisy Ridley starting up the speeder are Spielberg-y as FUCK. It's a good look for the franchise. My only hope is that JJ restrains himself a little. There are some camera moves in the Star Trek films that are disgustingly flashy, and that Falcon shot toes that line. Not that this was ever a series known for directorial elegance, but JJ can sometimes be hyperactive and I don't think Star Wars works with that feeling.

I liked the trailer, though. It felt less like a commercial and more like a -- wait for it -- tone poem. It gives us nothing about the plot, but we get a sense of the film's tone and some neat visuals. I wish more trailers were like this.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Doctor Submarine wrote:

I liked the trailer, though. It felt less like a commercial and more like a -- wait for it -- tone poem. It gives us nothing about the plot, but we get a sense of the film's tone and some neat visuals. I wish more trailers were like this.

Also, not even a single fanwank frame of the original cast.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Saniss wrote:

The stormtrooper part felt surreal, I want to see more of it.

For whatever reason that guy reminded me of the Robot Chicken stormtrooper who takes his daughter to work. I hope it's the same character.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Invid wrote:
Saniss wrote:

The stormtrooper part felt surreal, I want to see more of it.

For whatever reason that guy reminded me of the Robot Chicken stormtrooper who takes his daughter to work. I hope it's the same character.

I think he meant the troop carrier. Which I absolutely agree, that image is intense.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:

I think he meant the troop carrier. Which I absolutely agree, that image is intense.

Ah, OK. That part didn't do anything for me, apart from the "wait, is that a new armor design?" moment.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down