Re: What movies did you love at 12?

Men in Black and Jumanji got a lot of rewatches when I was 12ish.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Zarban, you should also show them Babylon 5.

So honor the valiant who die 'neath your sword
But pity the warrior who slays all his foes...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Marty J wrote:
fireproof78 wrote:

I can't remember which one was my hook. Certainly not season 1 hmm

As a child I didn't know any better big_smile Only some years later did I realize that Seasons 1 & 2 were bad.

This is a fair point, and I also was completely used to TOS style, with the bright colors and acting style. The one episode I saw from TNG early on was so bizarre and nonsensical to me that I simply shut off from it. I didn't really get back in to it until one of my best friends in middle school showed it to me.

I really enjoyed "All Good Things" as well as several of the films.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Darth Praxus wrote:

I started with the reboot, then went back and did the original series/films, but if I'd had the chance to start with Khan, in retrospect I'd have taken it.

I personally did the same, starting with Abrams trek, but I think it's a bad way to go because it will set them up to expect essentially Star Wars style action from the series, not to mention that it will take a lot of the punch out of the ending of Khan.

If you wanted to show a more modern style movie to ease them into the series, you're better off with something like Master and Commander honestly.

Last edited by bullet3 (2014-12-01 22:33:37)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Actually, I'd start them with the classic episode Trouble with Tribbles. It's funny, and classic trek is much more... colorful than the newer stuff.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Trouble with Tribbles is a blast, and I think a lot of fun. Even if they don't get in to TOS specifically, I think that it would be some fun for them smile

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I was a fan of Free Willy, in addition to numerous others already stated.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Oh, Stargate! I know it's been forgotten and isn't highly regarded, but when I was 12 I thought it was such a cool and exciting idea. I think it was fairly foundational in getting me into sci-fi, as well. Plus, you know, Kurt Russell.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I love Stargate! It's one of my favourites. The first two Mummy movies are quite fun (and family friendly) too.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down