Re: Hey, Whatcha playin'?

It's funny, but I found Portal 2 creepier than the first one! Well, the latter half (third?) of the game particularly, the way it worldbuilds the past. Loved the atmosphere for that.

Anyway, finally trying Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, 'cause... why not? Enjoying it a lot. I never really played a lot of swords/sorcery games (does FFVI count?) but I'm digging this. Amazed at how huuuuuuge the world is. Logged about 40 hours of playtime, and I've barely touched the main storyline, nor have I even ventured into the Eastern half of the map. Jeebus.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Plus, there's like a gazillion mods to keep you entertained for hours upon hours!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hooo boy, there's mods?
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02882/mrcreosotethemeani_2882255b.jpg

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Quite a few, too.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Mirror's Edge

http://solvetube.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/How-To-Install-Mirrors-Edge-PC-Game-Without-Any-Errors.jpeg

I decided to give this one a try seeing as I've heard good things and it's supposed to be a pretty short game. Good, I fancied something quick I could do in a couple of days.

sigh...

This game was way too frustrating and even after completing it, I cant' tell if I liked it or hated it. I had to go to Youtube to check out some videos just to make sure I was trying to do the right thing - and sure enough, I was! The game was just being like 'Hey, you're not gonna make that jump you've been trying for 20 minutes!'. You know the feeling you get in most games when you finally figure something out and progress to the next bit? Yeah, none of that here, all I could think was 'about fucking time!'.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fair enough, but I love that game. Best part was having to think way outside the box to beat the time trials.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ducks and covers before Bo..."I made a Mirror's Edge fanfilm"...ter finds this.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Looking at what I posted looks a lot more negative than I actually feel, aha. I still don't know if I liked it or hated it, but don't get me wrong - I thought there were lots of great stuff in there.

Still not the best game I've played with an end credits song called 'Still Alive' though tongue.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/54m1YfEuYU8/maxresdefault.jpg

Started this pretty much straight after Mirror's Edge. I wanted to play this back when it was released, but my old graphics card couldn't really handle it. Really fun game, although a bit repetitive in parts. About 3/4's of the way through, I got bored with a lot of the side-missions and pretty much focused on the story. I'm not much of a '100% completionist' with games anyway, so I'm not too fussed over skipping a bit of content.

My main gripe with this game was the ending, it was extremely underwhelming from both from a story and gameplay perspective. From looking around online, it seems I'm not the only one either.

All in all, I had a blast with this game. If you like the Batman Arkham games, it is basically the same thing in a Lord of the Rings skin.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Thong Instigator wrote:

Mirror's Edge

I love Mirror's Edge (obviously; somehow missed your review and BDA's comment), but admittedly more in concept than execution. Playing through on Medium difficulty as a pacifist was stupidly difficult. Playing through allowing myself to use guns on Hard was a breeze. Hopefully Catalyst fixes that, though I don't see why they felt the need to reboot when they could have continued; the game ended on something of a cliffhanger, and the comic is a prequel, not a sequel.

Edit: Nevermind, already mentioned Lollipop Chainsaw a couple pages back. That's what I get for only now starting to release the videos I played and recorded a couple months ago v.v

Last edited by Boter (2015-08-19 19:11:33)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Tomahawk wrote:

Herc, you asshole. You don't open a post with "LAST WEEK, steam had a sale". You advertise the sale that's going on now, fool!

Deus Ex trilogy (plus a port of a mobile game) available on Steam, until Friday, for the princely sum of $7.73 (CAN)!

If anyone has yet to experience Deus Ex, now's the time!

Last edited by Herc (2015-09-02 21:59:06)

Herc wrote:
Tomahawk wrote:

Herc, you asshole. You don't open a post with "LAST WEEK, steam had a sale". You advertise the sale that's going on now, fool!

Deus Ex trilogy (plus a port of a mobile game) available on Steam, until Friday, for the princely sum of $7.73 (CAN)!

If anyone has yet to experience Deus Ex, now's the time!

My name is Erich and I approve this message.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh my god. MGSV is stunning. I will likely write something of more substantial length after the weekend when I have more time to play it, but, for now: blimey.

I blame you people for this...

I'm only an LP hour in so not much has actually happened, but this game is GAAAAWWWgeous.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-09-04 22:58:30)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I like it, looking forward to more

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

My current (and for the last two and a half years) game obsession is Kerbal Space Program. Imagine LEGOs + Rockets + space exploration and EXPLOSIONS when the rockets don't go so well.

It's a perfect game in regards to trying and failing as failing is generally hilarious and success feels insanely rewarding! I remember the first time I docked two ships together (after about two hours of attempts) and the first time I successfully landed on the Mun (after eight or so tries). Felt like I had really accomplished something.

Here's NerdCubed giving it a shot.

I also just installed Star Wars: The Force Unleashed because I never played it before. Before that, I just recently finished the Arkham Origins story and The Wolf Among Us, both of which were great - Arkham had some gameplay issues, but the story it told of Batman's early years and Gotham transitioning from mobsters to supervillans was fantastic.

I make music and teach at-risk students.
soundcloud.com/the-one-galen

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Arkham series is simply great.
I never did enjoy KSP myself, but my brother plays it fairly regularly, so that's something.
(He also plays a fair bit of Crush the Castle, mind you, so he's not infallible)

I've picked up Diablo 3 again. New patch, new season. All fun. As with most Blizzard games, a new patch usually means some game changers are afoot, but the core game is of course still the same. Still a fun game, if you're into that type of gameplay.

I'm still dying to get my hands on The Witcher 3, Until Dawn and MGS5, but, I don't have time to play anything of that scale until next year, so, they'll all have to wait.

I might be in line for Rock Band 4/Guitar Hero Live, though.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really enjoyed Arkham Asylum, but City didn't do much for me and I stopped playing after that.

Force Unleashed was good but shines in New Game Plus; all of that power getting cancelled as soon as you get it is good for gameplay balance but feels cheap, so being able to romp through the opening two acts while fully leveled is stupid fun.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I've been playing around with Super Mario Maker over the past day. It's a lot of fun and there's already some great stuff being made by the community. Here's a video of the first level I made.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_medium/1197/11970954/2848833-2848826-star%2Bwars%2Bbattlefront%2Bkey%2Bart.jpg

I managed to get in to the early access beta, so I've been playing this for the last couple of days. Now that the beta is public, I thought it'd be fun if a few of us on here got together for a few games.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I so will as soon as I get a new console. hopefully around christmas

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

F.E.A.R.: First Encounter Assault Recon

http://gamentor.ru/wp-content/uploads/4543534534543535.jpg

I've played this to completion once before around when it came out ten years ago, and played the demo a ton of times. A more recent attempt to play through ended with me going "nope nope nope" and looking at pictures of kittens. I don't handle horror all that well even if it is the simpler jump scare and creepy chord flavor.

So naturally I'm now doing a playthrough for YouTube. The duty to keep posting them should keep me on track to finish.

Though horror isn't my genre at all, I keep coming back to the game because of its AI. In the video that just went up, I die because I thought I'd taken out all of the enemies, walk into the next room and get ambushed by a couple hiding behind crates. When I reloaded, they weren't there anymore - it wasn't a scripted event, it's just what they did on the fly (12:45 in the above linked video). While playing the demo way back in the day, one hid behind a water tank. I covered left and right for him to come out then started getting hit; he'd climbed under the tank and was shooting at me from a prone position.

The game's old enough now that most systems should run it just fine (mine is having problems because of a temporary video card downgrade and a bug with Logitech devices, the latter of which I've fixed for next time). If you get the chance, check out the demo and see what it does for you.

And safely ignore the two expansions and the two sequels.

F.E.A.R. is such a great game. Definitely one of the FPS milestones as far as I'm concerned. The graphics still hold up pretty well because they brought at the time tons of new technologies we had seldom seen before: dynamic lighting, parallax mapping, etc. The AI is amazing and makes gunfights incredibly satisfying.

The atmosphere is what I remember the most however. The industrial and administrative locations the game takes place in are bleak as can be (the dynamic lighting adding a lot to it because it creates these sharp shadows) and pave the way for downright creepy moments. The game cleverly alternates between down-to-earth parts and completely surreal, mad visions where you see the little girl creeping in a corner and tiles levitating; the sound design helps a lot with tinnitus sounds and the like that really make you feel you're cast in this helpless complete dementia episode that lasts only a few seconds but you know will be back later on. It has its jump scare moments but they're not that many and the game relies more on setting your uneasiness efficiently (much like what would do Amnesia: The Dark Descent a few years later in a more extreme way), so much so that I'd be relieved when I saw enemy soldiers because I knew it would be a gunfight moment without creepiness (well...most of the time anyway). The story is very interesting because it focuses on discovering who's this little girl and the charismatic man-eating dude you see ripping your fellow soldiers apart but doesn't seem interested in doing the same to you for some reason.

Really a game worth checking out, and while I would agree with Boter on the expansion Perseus Mandate and the two sequels, I think Extraction Point is really great and takes the visual horror to a whole new level (as well as expanding the story that was later stated as non-cannon, but no one cares about the sequels).

Last edited by Saniss (2015-10-12 12:27:07)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Halo 5: Guardians

http://thisgengaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Halo5_KeyArt_Horiz_Final1.jpg

Hoo boy, that sure was a Halo game. The second installment of 343's Halo trilogy borrows a lot of pages from Bungie's second installment of theirs - a lot of ideas and moments borrowed from Halo 2, which I wouldn't have expected to enjoy as much as I did.

I plan on recording a video with my incredibly rambling thoughts on it, but my VERY SPOILERY thoughts going into Halo 6 summed up in one somewhat paraphrased quote:

Show
Wow, Cortana. In Halo 4 we all thought you'd died a hero. Turns out you lived long enough to see yourself become the villain.

I enjoyed the game, and dernit if you like Halo then so will you. Constant tweaks to the formula but it's the same Halo franchise you've played for a decade and a half now.

...Single player, anyway. Dunno about this Warzone, and REQs, and complete and utter lack of local multiplayer, buuuuut dat campaign. I'm happy.

The aforementioned rambling and EXTREMELY SPOILERY video, here.

Replayed the game as I got footage for it. Still very enjoyable, though obviously as I was on Easy going through it was a bit too much of a breeze. I didn't mention it in the video but the collectibles should be a fun hunt to go through as well.