Topic: What You Missed in 2014 (Pt. 1)

Thoughts? There's a whole 'nother one of these comin,' so hold off on the pitchforks of omission 'til then.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: What You Missed in 2014 (Pt. 1)

Here are the best movies you might have missed:

Under the Skin

The best movie of 2014, and it's not even close. I give it five years before we've all agreed that it's an all-time classic. Just watch it already.

Listen Up Philip

It's like Inside Llewyn Davis, but they swapped out "melancholy" with "acidic." Very very funny.

The Babadook

Best horror movie in yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeears. You're not as afraid for the lives of these characters as you are afraid for what they'll become in an attempt to survive.

Why Don't You Play in Hell?

A movie that fell from heaven. Mere mortals don't deserve to look upon it.

Obvious Child

Jenny Slate plays a stand-up comic who has a one-night stand, gets pregnant, and struggles with how to tell the father that she's not keeping it. It's one of the year's funniest films.

Lucy

You probably heard of this one, but maybe you didn't bother seeing it because you didn't expect it to be good. You were wrong. Lucy is the best superhero film of the year. It's a great deconstruction of the state of the genre, and its reliance on heroes whose single-minded pursuits of "justice" leave piles of innocent corpses in their wakes. Its ambitions are shockingly grand, as revealed in the Malick-ian finale. This was a big surprise for me. Go see it!!

Non-Stop

See above. I disagree STRONGLY with this film's politics, but damn if it doesn't express them cleverly.

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Echoing Eddie with Big Hero 6. So damn good. I'm really curious as to which movie takes home the Oscar for Best Animated. There's LEGO, BH6, and How to Train Your Dragon 2 that will probably be the main contenders (if they all get nominated of course). I can't say anything for The Boxtrolls or The Book of Life as I didn't catch them in theaters. Feast is already on the shortlist for Animated Shorts, along with Glen Keane's Duet.

Last edited by Morgan (2014-12-15 14:09:46)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Morgan wrote:

I can't say anything for The Boxtrolls or The Book of Life as I didn't catch them in theaters. Feast is already on the shortlist for Animated Shorts, along with Glen Keane's Duet.

I haven't had the chance to see Boxtrolls yet either but it's really high up on my list atm, but I did see The Book of Life, and I would say it's definitely one of the better animated films of the last few years (and that's sayin something).

And if Feast doesn't win like ALL the awards, something is seriously wrong in the universe.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2014-12-15 14:34:23)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Paperman won for Best Animated Short which was fantastic to see, but I know a lot of people were angry that Get A Horse lost. I need to watch the other shorts. I've heard good things about The Dam Keeper.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Boxtrolls was good fun!
Agree with Doc Sub on Non-Stop
BTW I watched Edge of Tomorrow on Trey's big endorsement (and the rest of the guys) in one of the commentaries.
I was not disappointed. If you haven't seen it, you should.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The Guest - The all around best action movie of the year, with great performances, music (an amazing synth soundtrack), comedy, pacing. Imagine a more fun, less self-serious version of Drive, and you get the picture. A total throwback to classic John Carpenter and Terminator-era James Cameron. It hits blu-ray in January, and you are seriously missing out if you don't give this one a watch.

The Raid 2 - in case you missed it, at a minimum it's a must-watch to see a master-class in action film-making, there are sequences that are better than anything I've ever seen done in the genre, and will ruin all other action movies for you. As an actual movie, it doesn't hold together unfortunately, but the highs are so damn good.

Interstellar - Seriously, it's still playing in IMAX, go see it the way it's meant to be seen. I'm baffled at some people's indifference to this movie. It's beautiful, it's ambitious, it's pro-science. Don't wait for video.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Josh, you're fucking high about Under the Skin.

But we're co-champions of Why Don't You Play in Hell so I forgive you.

You have to see Love Exposure.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I don't think Under the Skin is a masterpiece, but it is an extremely visceral experience and really worth watching (with a good sound system). The beach scene still fucks me up. I think it drops the ball with a half-assed ending that it doesn't earn. With a better last act it could've been an all time great film.

That being said, there's nothing like it getting made these days, so it's a massive breath of fresh air.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Here's one I saw (extraordinarily illegally, I might add) after recording but it's already in my too 5 for the year.  A Korean Documentary called, "MY LOVE, DONT CROSS THAT RIVER."  Purely devastating.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Incomplete list of great stuff off the top of my head that may or may not be mentioned on the next half:

Force Majeure

Tale of Princess Kaguya

Treasure Hunter Kumiko

Calvary

The Double

A Most Wanted Man

Locke

Tracks

White Bird in a Blizzard

The Raid 2

Why Don't You Play in Hell?

(If I could find Stray Dogs somewhere and watch it it would be on this list.)

Last edited by paulou (2014-12-17 04:54:24)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down