Topic: Why do I hate The Game of Thrones?

Discuss

The difficult second album Regan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: Why do I hate The Game of Thrones?

Oh oh oh, I got this guys.

You are actually a small martian vegetable descended from turnips brought back from earth on an exploratory visit several thousand years ago. You are deeply offended by the mistreatment of your breathen in the making of soups and small dishes as depicted on Game of Thrones. It disturbs and confuses you.

And THAT's why you hate Game of Thrones.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I don't watch it because the exploitation of sex reeks of sleaze.
It may be well produced, but they know damn sure that a hell of a lot of viewers would not watch the show if the sex wasn't such a big part of it. And "they" being the people who talk about how empowered the women are in the show.

That's my emotional reaction to it.

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

This much is true.

Can people stop beating them selves off when GoT's is mentioned. I require this.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I like tits. I like terrible Dialog. I like over-acting actors.

DO

NOT

WANT

I let slide the unnecessary nudity and vulgarity - the show had to grab peoples attention somehow - I just think it's a piss poor show. It seems to be made for pre-pubescent teens. There is nothing about it that doesn't make think that this is an adult show and I should give it credence.

I want it to be good. It just isn't. I really don't understand how people are so interested in it. Like REALLY interested in it. I know I've got an unpopular opinion on this subject, I'll be happy if someone can correct me. I WANT TO LIKE IT> I just don't.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Well, I don't watch it, which helps me not like it. I don't like it for the same reason I don't like your friends — I don't know 'em. Nuthin' personal.

That said, the reason I don't watch it is because my first and only exposure to it yielded a negative reaction. Started with the first episodes of the first season, and found it confusing and uninspiring and soap-opera-y and like too much of a hassle to try to keep up with.

(Then again, this was happening while I was in a severe dilaudid haze, the night after the A Few Good Men commentary, where I had to leave mid-episode to deal with a sudden kidney stone. So I wasn't exactly primed for it, either. I was pretty much hallucinating dragons to begin with, GoT was just pilin' it on.)

That said, not-watching-shows is a problem I have. I often find them hard to follow even when I'm not in a pukey, euphoric post-hospital drug fugue. Hell, I often stop watching shows I like. So, maybe I'm not the guy to ask.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

If that's honestly all you think is there I can't help you.

Personally I find it a really interesting political drama in a dark high fantasy setting, with interesting characters and amazing visuals. The production values are through the roof, the acting is always top notch and the writing isn't afraid to go places most other shows wouldn't.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I don't hate it, I've not seen enough of it to make a proper judgement. I gave the first episode a watch, but I can't say it really gripped me.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BigDamnArtist wrote:

If that's honestly all you think is there I can't help you.

Personally I find it a really interesting political drama in a dark high fantasy setting, with interesting characters and amazing visuals. The production values are through the roof, the acting is always top notch and the writing isn't afraid to go places most other shows wouldn't.

And I thought Teague was the drugged-up-deluded one. Please say that that was ironical and I'm just not getting it.

Each to there own. Mainly, I blame Spork - forcing me to watch it. Forced love is no love at all.

I can't say I'm that great of a TV watcher in the first place. So, doing the waiting for the next episode thing, I lose interest and pretty much don't care that much to catch back up.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hey you don't like it that's fine, no one's forcing you. But leave the name calling out of it.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Sorry. I'm just being a dick 'cos I can. That show really grinds my gears. On paper, sounds amazing. Just isn't.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

screwballscramble wrote:

I'm just being a dick 'cos I can.

I get you don't get it, I gave you all of my reasons why I like it, and you shrugged them off.

If you ask for help and then don't listen and act like a dick "'cos you can", you're just defeating your own purpose.

Not too mention it makes you look like a massive asshole, and further drives me into never wanting to reply to anything you say ever again.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-03-17 18:02:45)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

I am not willing to listen. I think 25 hours is enough to form an opinion.

Mainly just testing the water - see what people see in it that I don't.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Whoa, folks. Let's pull back on the stick a bit. We're all good.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So then why did you even bother asking if you aren't willing to listen?

And I told you what I saw in it, and you called me drug addled, deluded and hoped I was being ironic.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

It's all good. Just provoking a debate.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

BDA, homeboy's just takin' the piss. I think the spirit here was intended to be more kiddin' around than aggressively insulty.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

BDA - I was just being silly for the sake of being silly. I meant no harm. Devils advocate style.  But at this point, I don't like the show. It's just not for me.

I am very aware that I'm being a doofus.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ls542zKeVS1qbdxog.gif

Well y'all have fun with that.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

BigDamnArtist wrote:
screwballscramble wrote:

I'm just being a dick 'cos I can.

I get you don't get it, I gave you all of my reasons why I like it, and you shrugged them off.

If you ask for help and then don't listen and act like a dick "'cos you can", you're just defeating your own purpose.

Not too mention it makes you look like a massive asshole, and further drives me into never wanting to reply to anything you say ever again.

That's a bit much - this was meant to be a stupid debate.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ooookay.

Sex and violence sell, that's not exactly a revelation. But in this case, it's being used to sell something which is legitimately good. In all honesty, the political intrigue is far more compelling and believable and (somehow) grounded than House of Cards (US version). Boy howdy. If we're gonna talk about a show that seemingly everyone loves, but actually has a really huge amount of suckage, let's start with House of Cards.

Last edited by Herc (2015-03-17 19:41:11)

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I have yet to find the time or energy to invest in GoT. The first episode I saw just made me feel ill. I'm not denying production, acting or skill here. I'm just saying it is not for me.

God loves you!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

screwballscramble wrote:

That's a bit much - this was meant to be a stupid debate.

I'm curious, what did you expect?

Also, playing devil's advocate usually means that you are advocating a position that you do not share, but since you admit that you don't actually like the show, it doesn't apply here. Perhaps you're thinking of troll style?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Honestly, reading through the thread, I'm pretty sure what was expected and hoped for was a lighthearted thing where it's inherently assumed everyone respects each other and we just fuck around and talk about our varying opinions on a TV show.

I'm not sure how it got off the rails, but I'm willing to call it a fluke in this case. If it becomes a recurring thing, maybe we'll have to figure out how to address the miscommunication of tone and stuff like that, but... like I said, in the meantime, for this one, I'm thinkin' we call it a fluke and abandon the contention.

Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

I posted way back when S2 started why I hated S1. Mostly the never-ending assholery of characters even when they wanted or needed something from the person they were talking to. Also: random betrayals. There's a reason why, in real life, people made and fulfilled feudal ties: they are good for business.

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries