Re: Friends in Your Dungeon

Yeah, Critical Role is doing weekly 3 hour sessions and they seem to book through a fair bit. Granted they have Matt Mercer DM-ing...and they all, you know...know what they're doing.

But I think we can probably get through enough to keep things going in that time.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Having spent days, literally, in Cyberpunk 2020 and AD&D, GURPS, Vampire the masquerade campaigns etc, I'd be interested to see how the logistics of this play out.

2 hour sections would be enough - it's not overwhelming to GM, it gives everyone a taste, and you have a week to prepare for the next one.

As someone in totally the wrong time zone I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to join any of these, but I'd be interested to see a recorded stream.

Last edited by Dave (2015-04-07 07:11:54)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

AD&D, Vampire: The Masquerade, motherfucking RIFTS, Robotech, Ninja's & Superspies.

LETS DO THIS.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

2 hour sections would be enough - it's not overwhelming to GM, it gives everyone a taste, and you have a week to prepare for the next one.

Don't worry about overwhelming me, I've done 10+ hours sessions with 15+ people, parties split into 5(!) groups, and built full dungeons on the fly with zero prep. Note: While I can put you guys on rails and run you through encounter I've built beforehand, my preferred style is more open world and improv-y. What would you guys prefer, rails or a sandbox?

I've edited into the OP, but I'll put it here too. Some record keeping:

Owen, Star Wars or Original, something beginner friendly, any time (BST)

BDA, Preference Sci-Fi (maybe cyberpunk?), something beginner friendly, not Saturdays (MST)

Herc, Preference Fantasy, beginner but down for whatever, EST evenings

Botor, Preference Sci-Fi, experienced

Teague?

Fireproof, Preference Sci-Fi (maybe cyberpunk?)

Faldor, , beginner

Dave?

Eddie?

Right now it looks like the sci-fi's have it. Looking like 7-8 people, not a bad size. Availability seems to suggest weekday evenings work best. How do y'all feel about Mondays?

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2015-04-08 08:23:50)

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yep, mondays are generally pretty open for me.

For style, I'm of the more "there's a vague general sort of goal, but how we get about going there and accomplishing it is up to the players", sort of persuasion.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-04-08 08:07:44)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Don't worry, I've found that giving players absolutely zero direction typically results in a lot of frustration for everyone. smile When we get things like setting figured out more we can figure out how we want to do this. Do you want to be a group formed with a purpose (e.g. we banded together to kill the BBEG), or would you rather have me pull you into a larger story as you go (e.g. you're pirates but the artifact you stole has much more significance than the money it's worth)?

Also, lets narrow Sci-Fi down more. Space Opera? Hard Sci-Fi? Sci-Fi with magic? Far far future or not that far away? Space travel?

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I would punch nuns to run a 'Borg in a corp war Cyberpunk 2020 campaign with Doty, but given time zones it's unlikely I could join (GMT +10). Also, yes to rifts.

Last edited by Dave (2015-04-08 09:19:08)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, unless you happen to be free on Tuesday mornings your time, it probably wont work out.

I've never done RIFTS but from what I've read it sounds like it's my kinda thing.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I find every word in this thread intimidating, but have managed to protect a small little glowing sphere of interest and curiosity from being totally destroyed.

Just keepin' y'all up to speed. The sphere is still glowing. It's scared, yes — but it's glowing.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I have no clue what all those bastards are talking about Teague. That's stuff for people who know what they're talking about. I'm just here cause stories and characters and improv-y crazytimes goodness.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

<Firmly in the "P&P RPG's are serious business" camp>

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If Mondays are under discussion then I'll cast my vote thataway. I tend to have most of them off.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Monday will largely depend on the time, for me. I'm PST but usually not available until after 8 or so.

As for setting, I'm not committed to any one idea. I just like a fun world to write original characters in.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm thinking we should play Shadowrun. It's setting is a future cyberpunky world, but with magic! If people could start sending me their google hangouts info, next monday I'll grab anyone who's online and we can work out some logistical stuff like roll20 extensions and stuff and I can answer questions and we can get some character rolling out of the way.

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Magic's good.

Some questions for the group:

How do we want to organize? Just keep everything on here or set up a group email/skype thing?
Dice, do we want to do irl dice rolls or keep everything virtual. I think I'd kinda like to do irl dice, but I am currently a person of a diceless disposition so what kind of dice does Shadowrun use primarily?

And then just for me personally, I'm off all day monday, so as long as it isn't the middle of the night for me, I can be there. And I'll check with everyone again on monday, but recording? How do people feel?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Shadowrun is pure D6 (six sided die). It uses lots of them though, it's a success based system (instead of rolling a few dice and adding up the numbers, you roll lots of dice and determine whether each die counts as a success or not (in this case a 5 or 6 is a success) and count up successes).

-Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ah sweet, that makes things easy.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Excellent. Thanks, ShadowDuelist, for taking the initiative smile

There's PDFs of the 5th edition rulebooks here. A 30-page quick-start guide, and also the proper 500 page one, though I expect that we'd only use the full one for reference, since I barely have time in my life to read 12-page journal articles from beginning-to-end. Although I dunno what the differences are, which edition would you suggest, ShadowDuelist?

I totally dig the idea of having tangible dicerolls, so I'm gonna go to my local Gamer's Vault and get some after work. Yay!  big_smile

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Good point. How much pre-reading would you suggest Shadow for the universe and all that kind of stuff?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

MY BODY IS READY.
http://i.imgur.com/9Xfhc88.jpg

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I know I'm late to the game, and I'm not really interested in joining, but I'd recommend checking out the XD20 system by Tracy Hickman, who wrote a lot of adventures for D&D. The rules are like Chess: you can learn them in five minutes, but tons of room for mastering and having fun.

From a review:
"So I play-tested it. A lot. I’ve now run it for several months and have come to the following conclusion:
Advanced XDM is the best thing to happen to RPGs since the 20 sided die."

http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/14/14739.phtml

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

*still watching thread from behind a tree trunk*

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague wrote:

*still watching thread from behind a tree trunk*

http://gifyu.com/images/teague.gif

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CCwHJjMVAAAGHTr.jpg:large

Got me some dice. LET'S DO THIIIIISSS!

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Fun fact: given enough of something you begin to get delusions of grandeur.

I AM A GOD

http://pressenter.phispace.net/Photos/Dice%20Collection%20April%202015.jpg

(Actually godling, my dad's collection is easily five times as big, maybe ten.)

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.