Topic: Week 3: The Eagle

The Eagle

http://i.movie.as/p/31898.jpg

As suggested by Writhyn.

Discuss!

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-04-16 12:43:22)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Re: Week 3: The Eagle

Oh man! I am so excited! I'd LOVE to hear what you guys think, even if it's not great.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

So, I haven't seen this movie in a little bit, but I'll give my remembered thoughts here and then watch it for a more detailed response.

1. I think the acting works well. Not great, but not bad. I like Bell's character, and Tatum conveys a prideful roman very well, but the movie really did well with the Seal people. Local people who could speak gaelic were sought out (and that's a small field), but I think it worked awesome for them. I watch this movie and I love how the language sounds.

2. I love the soundtrack. It's funny though because it continues the tradition of uilleann pipes (traditionally irish bagpipes) in movies set in Scotland. Braveheart did this as well. Personally, I'd love to hear highland pipes in a movie, but I get that uilleann pipes have a greater range and can produce more interesting melodies.

3. The early battle is awesome.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This makes a good double-bill with Centurion (and maybe even Bruckheimer's King Arthur) which are all set around the same time in the same region (Hadrian's Wall frontier, late Roman occupation of Britain).

http://www.dvdsreleasedates.com/covers/centurion-dvd-cover-14.jpg

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Oh gosh. NO!!!! I tried Centurion. IT'S SO BAD! DON'T DO IT!
King Arthur was ok. Just kinda boring.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Really? I think Centurion is a well constructed and reasonably authentic chase movie with interesting characters (perhaps too interesting and varied) and has surprises along the way. Meanwhile, The Eagle is a clusterfuck of history featuring a GI Joe doll going on a ludicrous adventure into the unknown of Northern Britain where he finds a pseudo-African tribe of Scots.

Having said that...The Eagle does have its moments and has a strong foundation in what is basically a mismatched buddy movie - Tatum's Roman officer and Bell's British slave. Bell is definitely the more interesting of the two, since his character arc is one of divided loyalties. He has a debt to Channing for saving him from a 'it's a Roman movie, do we have a gladiator fight? check!' scene. He effectively gains his freedom when he's north of the wall and he has an intense dislike for the Romans, so he has to wrestle that desire with this debt. It's not that Tatum's character is without merit, he starts off well. He's a determined and ambitious officer with a chip on his shoulder due to a father that disappeared with an army in Britain many years before. So Tatum arrives at a fort to take command and puts his men through their paces. He's disliked at first - he's another green officer with ambitions that will get good men killed or waste their time - but wins over his officers and the men with diligence and quick thinking. There are a few interesting battles but Tatum is ultimately injured and crippled.

Wow, this was unexpected. So he spends the rest of the story coming to terms with the fact that he's crippled and won't get to become the officer that he knows he can be, all the while developing a friendship with a slave against the backdrop of Romano-British society and diminishing Roman power.

Oh wait, that's not what happens. The second half is a road movie wherein the hero makes a miraculous recovery and takes his probably untrustworthy slave sidekick beyond Roman control to find the golden eagle standard that his father lost. Admittedly, he takes on the quest out of frustration but it smacks of cliche that he even goes on one.

There is a cool moment where, hopelessly outnumbered and being chased down, Tatum raises the recovered gold eagle and out of the mist come a band of ex-legionnaires who have hidden out in Britain under new lives. And then Colin Firth makes a speech about freedom and stuff before the climatic battle.

Other points of note:
The Romans all speak with American accents.
Did I mention that there's a tribe of painted up Scots who look like they're from a thousand years before and from another continent?
Whilst the battles are pretty good, they aren't as good as those in Gladiator and Centurion.
They somehow managed to snag Donald Sutherland for this movie.
James Cosmos is not in this movie.

In the interest of disclosure, I have a fondness for historical movies like this. There are so few of these that I will always come down as giving them more credit than they probably deserve, but still be hypercritical because, well, the Romans are wearing leather armour and that's just uncalled for.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I didn't like Centurion mainly because everything seemed really hammy and even fantasy to me. Mainly the woman with her magical ability to sense being watched from long distances, which was indicated by a dramatic head turn and penetrating stare. They weren't tracked down--they were magically found by an implausible enemy who knew just where to look as it was convenient to the plot.
The same chase scenes in The Eagle worked for me because they were actually being tracked.
As for Tatum's injury magically healing, I'm not sure where you're getting that. His getting terribly sick and slowly recovering was covered in an extended sequence that culminated in him boar hunting. He was fine until being beaten and in the elements caused his injuries to act up.

I agree that the seal people were odd, though the director actually said he wanted them to seem like they were very different from typical depictions of celtic peoples. They were in the far north of britain, and had their own thing going on for a long time. Which makes sense to me. There were many, many tribes of "celts" with very different cultures before invasions finally unified the ethnicity of the island.

About the american accents, cool, right? Also from the director, that was on purpose. Old movies always gave the romans british accents because they were the stereotypical imperial power of the time. Today, that's considered America. Which, fine. Whatever. But I get his point and why he made that choice.

I actually LOVED the battles, or at least the one in which Tatum is injured. I liked that this movie didn't go the "epic" route, but focused on small skirmishes. But that's me.

One major mark I have against this movie is the moment when SPOILER the little boy is pulled out and killed in front of Bell. That was ridiculous. There is no way they brought him all that way. My suspicion is they got to the final battle and realized that Bell's character probably didn't have a lot of motivation to fight with the Romans, and said "I know! Let's pretend his surrogate younger brother was with the hunters the whole time! Then they can kill him for ridiculous reasons, and that will make Bell mad so he fights!"
I thought that was pretty stupid. Bell could have used a little more development to make that work beyond "loyal slave/friend"

I also really liked that this movie didn't really shy away from the reality that life in imperial societies is tough. People kill each other in horrible ways. There aren't any real good guys or bad guys, just winners and losers. The moment when Tatum kills the young tribesman who Bell spares is brutal, but really honest. The movie isn't saying who is right or wrong. It's just showing what kind of stuff happened.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

By coincidence, in my suggestion for next week's movie, AGORA, the Romans are struggling to keep order in Alexandria, where the new Christian religion is on the rise (and plays the threatening role that the Picts do in The Eagle).

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Different strokes and all I guess, but I found The Eagle to be more fantasy-like because of the Seal people, who are equivalent to the Vikings in Pathfinder or the Wendol in 13th Warrior in my eyes.

I've not seen Agora, but have been meaning to for many years. Hopefully it'll get picked and I'll have no excuse.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down