Topic: Cameras, cameras, cameras.

Hey guys.

As has been addressed a plethora of times, there's no such thing as a perfect camera. We should all know this by now.

There are multiple categories of cameras, brand bias and all sorts of discussions as to codecs, lens mounts, sensor sizes and whatnots.

I've been pursuing the perfect camera for years now, and I've come to realise I'll probably need 3 cameras.

To make a very long story sort of shortbut not really, in fact pretty detailed and long.:

In 2007 I got a EOS 1000D, to take stills. I already owned a shitty DV camcorder (Canon MV700EU), and I wanted to get more into photography. I didn't know much of anything about cameras, lenses or settings, but I plowed away nonetheless.
Three years later, after reading various reviews, I went out and got a Rebel T2i (Canon EOS 550D), which I then kept for a solid 3 more years.
Magic Lantern came along, and introduced various neat tools like audio metering and bracket filming and such, which was great, but then in spring 2013, they started getting serious, and added raw video to cameras like the 5D Mk III.
I was looking to upgrade anyway and read up on how well a camera like the MkII would perform within the same realm, and went with it.

It's also worth mentioning that I also took a huge amount of pictures, so a video camera was completely out of the equation, when looking for cameras, and at this point, I owned 5 lenses for the Canon system that I didn't want to just sell and then start over again.

That was until the Panasonic GH4 was announced. 4K, great codec in camera, EVF, flip-out monitor, great battery life, etc, etc.

I bought it in August 2014, and I owned it for 6 months until I sold it again. Why? While all those features are great, the MFT system didn't catch on for me, and although I could attach literally any lens out there with the myriad of adapters readily available, I was never able to take a good photo with the damn thing. Video wise? Yes, it wasn't too bad, really. Picture is sharp as hell, sure, but even though the workflow of raw video via Magic Lantern is stupidly complicated, I still missed it. It may be my own damn fault, as I never got panasonic, or MFT glass to use it as a stills camera(which is expensive, by the way), but I wound up selling at went back to canon.

In February 2015, I got a refurbished EOS 6D and some glass to go along. I was ready to get back into photography as well as shooting raw video.
Now, the 6D uses SD cards instead of high-end CF cards, so the raw capabilities aren't as beefed up as a 5D2, and not even close to a 5D3, but I could basically afford a heavily haggled 5D3, but then I wouldn't have any glass, and then what's the point, right? Right.

It's May now. And in the three months I've owned a relatively high-end DSLR and some great glass, I've taken about 20 pictures with it, and did a couple of raw video tests.

That's it.

I went back to Canon to get the best of both worlds, but I guess after the 5D, the GH4 just killed my interest in photography, and the 6D has just been taking space under my desk, tucked away in a huge Golla bag.

So what now?
I'm still looking for that perfect camera, but I want to start taking movie making seriously, and as such, I might need a new camera. Again.
But taken into consideration that I don't actually shoot pictures anymore, and that the GF owns an EOS 400D if I absolutely want to take pictures, and that two of my colleagues own high-end Nikon cameras, I can simply borrow those to do just that.

Of course, one might argue that I could get an external recorder like an Atomos, Shogun, Ninja or even the new Black Magic Video Assist, but the 6D doesn't have a clean HDMI out, so it won't actually help me at all.

As it happens, I've gotten a pretty good deal on a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera package. I won't go into detail about prices, but from what I read, this might be the way to go.

Why? Let's do a pros and cons!

Pros:
-It shoots raw and ProRes 422 HQ
-It's tiny, so adding a rig to it means it'll be lightweight and still pretty compact.
-It's MFT, which really IS a good thing when it comes to video.
-13 stops of dynamic range

Cons:
-Doesn't do stills. But I may not wind up using that function anyway if I got a 5D3.
-Eats batteries. But they're like $8 a pop, so getting several isn't an issue.
-Super 16 sensor, which, compared to Full Frame is a 2.8x crop, but the package I'm looking at includes a speedbooster, so it'll be closer to an APS-C, which is just fine.
-Craptastic internal audio. I own videomics and recorders. This isn't an issue.
-no remaining space on card feature. Yet.

FFS.

tl;dr:

I don't shoot photos anymore, and want to focus on making movies. Should I ditch my EOS and go for a BMPCC?

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Cameras, cameras, cameras.

I would add poor-ish light sensitivity and lack of high frame rates to the cons list. But it's really about what you're going to be using it for, and I can't speak to that.

If I recall, the BMPCC records compressed raw, and I'm not sure how comparable it is to ML raw in terms of color information (could be negligible). My brother (videographer) had a 5D III for a while. He shot one project in raw. The workflow was rough but man, the end result was gorgeous. He recently sold it and bought a Sony a7s. Good decision in my opinion.

To me the GH4 you sold seems more enticing than the BMPCC, since you won't have it any better in the lens department, and the 4k downscaled probably looks just as nice as the BMPCC raw. Also no swapping out batteries every 20 minutes. However, the more natural filmic look of the BMPCC is a huge plus that is often overlooked.

Of course, the BMPCC is much cheaper, and if you're getting a good deal on one it might be worth going for. Also, ProRes out of the box is a nice workflow bonus.

My thought is if you are getting a new camera for video in the prosumer price range, Canon is a no-go. They don't seem to care about that market, and never really have. Sony, Panasonic, Blackmagic, etc. are the ones leading innovation.

tl;dr

https://img.pandawhale.com/post-36230-Jeff-Winger-speechless-gif-goo-lYa3.gif

Thumbs up Thumbs down

GH4 is a fucking great camera at that price point, Panasonic respects its customers, and it's going to be even better when log-color gets added later this year in a firmware patch. I've used it for a year and I'm in love with this camera.

As for MFT, I use mostly Canon glass with a speed-booster, and it's worked great

Last edited by bullet3 (2015-05-13 03:10:55)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

As stated, I did own a GH4.
4K is nothing more than resolution, but the lack of moire is a good pro for that camera.
The footage is 8-bit, though, which doesn't appeal more to me than a 6D. Same compression, different name.

Sam: I'll agree that Canon isn't where it's at in the prosumer price range. With the addition of Magic Lantern, yes, but then it really needs to be a 5D3 in order to get 1080p. The Traveler part 2 was shot using a combination of 5D/6D footage, using raw, but it wasn't shot in 1080p. In order to get continuous shots, we had to use a weird resolution(1728x786, with a 2.2:1 ratio). The reason for this is the pure amount of data that needs to go to the memory card. For instance, the 5D mk 2 maxes out the memory bus speed at 75 mb/s, whereas the 6D uses slower cards in general(SD), and the same resolution is possible, but only for limited bursts, which is why it was B camera when we filmed the short.

The 5D mk3, however, maxes out at about 140 mb/s, so shooting raw isn't a problem at all.
But it's an expensive piece of equipment, especially when you need glass for it as well. You don't get a $3000 camera and then attach $100 glass to it. You just don't.

The BMPCC deal I'm looking at will get me the camera, 4 batteries, a metabones speed booster, a voigtländer 40mm f/2 and a cage. It's going for about $1500, which is a REALLY good price.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

As stated, I did own a GH4.
4K is nothing more than resolution, but the lack of moire is a good pro for that camera.
The footage is 8-bit, though, which doesn't appeal more to me than a 6D. Same compression, different name.

Here's something interesting:

http://www.eoshd.com/2014/02/discovery- … 10bit-444/

The workflow is inconvenient though.

If you like the deal you're getting (you're right, it's a good deal) and the BMPCC has everything you need, then go for it. Personally, no slow-mo and poor battery life would be deal breakers for me. But if you're okay with that, then there's probably no huge advantage to the GH4 or any other camera in that price range.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Also, GH4 can record 10 bit color if you pipe it out to an external 4k recorder like the atomos shogun (which doubles as an excellent monitor). The usability (interface, battery-life, ease-of-use, aftermarket support) is tops, and Panasonic is continuing to push updates (like their just-added anamorphic support) that extend the feature-set of the camera. Blackmagic's interface is garbage in my opinion, and it's just not worth the hassle. There's enough things that go wrong on set regularly that I need to at least be able to count on my camera to do what it's supposed to do.

Unless you're trying to step it up and shooting on an Amira or a Red Epic, I think the GH4 is the way to go, and you should spend the extra money on your other gear (lights, lenses, stabilizers, remote follow-focus). Camera is only part of the equation.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

If I'm adding an atomos, I'll be just as well with a 5D2, to be fair.

Again, I've already owned and sold a GH4. Not going to back to Panasonic unless I get a proper video camera, like the HVX200 used to be.

Shooting on a Red Epic would certainly be fun, but having seen a Red One in the flesh, I don't see that ever becoming a reality. Not because the cameras Red make aren't great, but they're simply too big. The way I usually go about things is a tiny crew and a shoestring budget. If I get a proper budget and crew, I'll probably have more than one guy on the camera, and then maybe, maybe using a larger camera like that would be an option.

As of now though, small but good is the way to go.

Sam: Battery life is not an issue. I usually bring a dozen to the set anyway, just in case, along with two chargers. No problems there, really. The slow motion isn't that big of a deal either. As I said, I owned a GH4. Didn't even touch the 96FPS. I'd just as well use an iPhone 6, and shoot 240fps for that one shot I'd need it for.

bullet: I actually didn't like the menu interface of the GH4. I found it confusing and not logically built up. I remember looking for frame rates, and then I had to go back and change the hertz of the damn thing, and to enable stuff like that, I also had to set it to NTS or PAL or whatever. It's not a bad camera, by all means, it just didn't work for me. Major setback, money-wise, but no cigar. I waited for a potential ProRes or raw feature, but whilst I was doing that, the camera just gathered dust.

I know I'm probably sounding like a jerk, looking for advice when I'm already settled, but the truth is; I'm not. I'm on the fence, sure, but I still think I might do stills some times, and that's when I'd need to have my own camera instead of borrowing.

Which is why I pretty much need 3 cameras.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet, how does the GH$ do with long recordings like weddings and lectures?  Does it tend to overheat after a given period of time?

Thumbs up Thumbs down

sorry, meant GH4...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Doesn't overheat, but stops recording at 30 minutes. It has a function to start recording at that instant, but I'd recommend not using it at a wedding, as that missed second can be quite crucial.

EDIT:

I'm also planning to make a more elaborate thread about cameras in here, to help more people figure out their perfect configuration, and to get insight from all of you, so stay tuned. It's also going to work as reseach for another article tongue

Last edited by Tomahawk (2015-05-15 18:29:42)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I can hit record on my gh2 walk away for 2 hours and when I come back its still chugging away. So not sure why yours had a 30 minute limit Tom. I know a lot of the canons have that.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Canons max out at 12 minutes, because of Fat32.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think the GH4 has a hard 30 min limit, but maybe I'm wrong. But if you're recording at 4K, I don't think your memory card is going to hold more than 30-45 minutes anyway, so it's a moot point.

Never had overheating problems of any kind with it. I must re-iterate though if you're going for a more filmic aesthetic, you should dial back a lot of the settings, it over-sharpens like crazy on the default settings. That being said, I've been able to get results I'm really happy with by adjusting some of the settings, running it through film-convert, and adding some Gorilla Grain.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Tomahawk wrote:

Canons max out at 12 minutes, because of Fat32.

Modern Canons (my experience is with 6D and 5D MkIII) will keep recording until 30 minutes, creating multiple split files that will stitch together seamlessly, no dropped frames or audio.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

Yeah I know Canons can go 30 minutes because my b-cam on a massive videography project last year was a Canon, and we had to keep cycling the recoird button every half hour.

As for the Gh3 or 4, I have no idea. I've never used em. But I'm not sure why they would lose continuous recording functionality from the GH2 unless you're in one of the higher res/framerate modes.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

If I recall, the 30 minute limit is due to a European tax law. If it can record over 30 minutes, it's considered a camcorder, and is taxed (higher) as such. Really dumb.

Is anyone out there pushing for a change of that law? I'd love to see it go.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Well, that doesn't make much sense, but neither does "European tax law", as Europe is 50 individual countries, with 50 individual set of laws.

But that does actually ring a bell.

In other news, I may have decided to just go for the BMPCC, and get a Rebel series camera to take pictures if need be.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

There are common laws that all European Union members apply. That's kinda the point of having an European Union, really. smile

EDIT : turns out Sam just might be right about the 30-minute limit: Why Digital Cameras Have a 30 Minute Video Recording Limit.

Last edited by Saniss (2015-05-16 13:52:22)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Fun fact, Norway isn't IN the EU wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I know. Doesn't mean EU laws don't exist, they just don't apply to you  tongue

I don't know whether that changes anything to Canon, though. The 30-second limitation seems worldwide.

Last edited by Saniss (2015-05-16 17:26:00)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, the EU is screwing things up for all of us on this one.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Laws still apply.
But yeah, that's just silly.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Update:
I sold all my schtuff.
I'm now the proud owner of a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera, a Metabones SpeedBooster EF and a Rokinon/Samyang/Bower VDSLR 35mm T/1.5.

I haven't received the SD cards I need to make this baby roar (which is a whopping 95MB/s 64GB), but from what I can see on the monitor, and using a z-finder, this is really right up my alley. the raw image and film range is flat as fuck. I love it.

As for shooting with it, I'll be doing some tests with grading next week, and creating a short the week after that.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Any updates on this Tom? Was just doing some dreaming and looking into Blackmagics cinema line, and remembered this thread.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Shoot date was pushed back to the end of the month, so no. If you want some generic raw imagery to play with, let me know, and I'll put some online.

Thumbs up Thumbs down