Re: Mad Max: Fury Road (obligatory spoiler warning)

So I'm gonna go ahead and agree with Herc that Mad Max: Fury Road is on the same level as Die Hard. I think it has the same re-watchability. Everything about it works.

The only shot that didn't scream "PERFECTION" was the guitar one, which was too obviously CG. Otherwise, it was two hours of insane action, pacing, acting, and my God, what eye-candy. Not many movies can pull off that much saturation. This one is off the chart, and it looks incredible.

And to know pretty much everything is real... Holy shit. I'm going to need a 10-hour documentary of this. How they didn't destroy dozens of cameras filming this, I'd like to know.

PS: fuck theaters who think it's good idea to have the sound too loud for every single movie ever, but when it's Mad Max, the one movie that NEEDS to be too loud, it's too quiet.

Last edited by Saniss (2015-05-20 12:20:18)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I liken it to The Raid as a come-from-nowhere non-stop action thriller that beats all the standard PG13 CGI from the Hollywood tentpole factory.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

The only shot that didn't scream "PERFECTION" was the guitar one, which was too obviously CG. Otherwise, it was two hours of insane action, pacing, acting, and my God, what eye-candy. Not many movies can pull off that much saturation. This one is off the chart, and it looks incredible.

Not just eye candy but the CINEMATOGRAPHY.  Holy hell!, I was literally sitting mouth agape in the theater chills running up my back from some of the incredible shots they had.  It was such a thowback to old school cinema in that the director took the time to make ART out of the images shown, and give the eye time to appreciate the beauty of what was being portrayed. 

(also....I want that arm that Charlize had in the movie....so sic)

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

How they didn't destroy dozens of cameras filming this, I'd like to know.

Apparently they did destroy quite a few, but it was part of the plan - http://filmmakermagazine.com/94242-dp-j … fury-road/

Hadn't really thought about how well 7D's and such can serve as crash cameras - they're small and cheap, and all you need to worry about after the crash is salvaging a tiny memory card.  That's an option that's never been available to stunt filmmakers until just recently.

Just saw it. It was great.

The only three problems I had with it was that guitar and steering wheel shot, their reason for going back to the citadel, and their plan once they did.

I think it was a bit too easy to convince them that turning back was a good idea. Sure, salt flats are bad, but they seemed prepared to endure it. I would've liked to see something force them to turn back, or not try the salt flats at all. Very small quibble, but that may be just me.
Second was they seemed way too confident that the citadel would apparently be defensible once they got there. They didn't know they would get a chance to kill Joe, and even if the path was closed, the mountains could still be bypassed. I totally bought the people's reaction when they showed up with the "god" dead at their feet, but that should have been part of the plan somehow.

BUT other than that fridge logic, I thought it was great. As an action movie it was incredible. The violence wasn't body horror like I detest: just enough for you to flinch and fill the rest with your imagination.
The acting was great. Hoult, Theron, and Hardy were on point all the time. I bought the side characters too.
The fact that both the men and the women needed each other to survive was great. Not man-dependent or woman-power. Just people with strengths and weaknesses.

One final thing that made me happy: when Furiosa doused the burning engine with dirt, my immediate thought was "isn't that getting in the air intakes?"
...followed immediately by a shot of the air intakes re-opening their guard valves as the sand fell away. Perfect!

Last edited by Writhyn (2015-05-21 04:29:24)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I have my own fridge logic questions

1. How can you possibly carry 160 days worth of motorbike fuel? I reckon two days max, Max. Unless they're some hyper-efficient futuristic engine.
2. What planet are we on? 160 days x 80 miles an hour x 10 hours a day = 5 times around the Earth at the equator.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I got the sense that 160 days was just their way of saying "we have no idea how far."
They talk in mythological, melodramatic ways because of their society so it made sense to me.

Witness me!

Thumbs up +6 Thumbs down

Speaking of the different turns of phrase used in the film, I think I've fallen in love with the word "schlanger".

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah, that was everything I love about movies, in one movie.  I feel like all movies are trying to pick up mjolnir, and George Miller just walks by and *yoink* effortlessly grabs it.

Last edited by Eddie (2015-05-22 01:51:47)

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

That. Is. A. Perfect. Analogy.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

doty

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ditto. Basically everything I always complain about and wish movies would do, this does effortlessly. Visual storytelling, simplicity of plot/complexity of themes, character through action, continuity of motion in editing, world-building without exposition, gender equality, sympathetic villains (what other blockbuster dares to humanize religious extremists).

Think about how rich this movie is in thematic ideas and memorable characters, with barely any dialogue. It's enough to make you disgusted at how lazy every other modern studio movie is.

"Hope is a mistake. If you can't fix what's broken, you'll go insane". What a great thesis statement, and it's conveyed in under 15 words.

Last edited by bullet3 (2015-05-22 02:57:29)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The world-building without exposition was by far far far my absolute favorite thing about it!!!
That the characters just did stuff and behaved in such ways that we were expected to observe and figure things out...it made me wholly engage with the characters. I bought every one of them and their turnarounds and motivations just by paying attention.

Last edited by Writhyn (2015-05-22 03:03:42)

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

The world-building without exposition was by far far far my absolute favorite thing about it!!!
That the characters just did stuff and behaved in such ways that we were expected to observe and figure things out...it made me wholly engage with the characters. I bought every one of them and their turnarounds and motivations just by paying attention.

To be fair, it got away with avoiding exposition because it appropriated the existing Mad Max franchise, which is well known, so it had less world building to do. Had it been an original stand-alone movie called 'Furiosa', we would have been subjected to the standard opening titles montage of news reports, headlines, mushroom clouds, etc and more of her backstory in flashback.

I also wonder what the box office would have been had it NOT been a Mad Max movie. We fans complain endlessly about sequels, remakes, reboots, etc, but when there are original new movies like Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow, etc, they hardly break even.

Last edited by avatar (2015-05-22 09:30:59)

not long to go now...

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Writhyn wrote:

To be fair, it got away with avoiding exposition because it appropriated the existing Mad Max franchise, which is well known, so it had less world building to do. Had it been an original stand-alone movie called 'Furiosa', we would have been subjected to the standard opening titles montage of news reports, headlines, mushroom clouds, etc and more of her backstory in flashback.

I also wonder what the box office would have been had it NOT been a Mad Max movie. We fans complain endlessly about sequels, remakes, reboots, etc, but when there are original new movies like Oblivion, Edge of Tomorrow, etc, they hardly break even.

I disagree. I would say it's so thoroughly different from the original films, both in terms of specific mythology and visuals, that there's pretty much no cross-over. Also, I would guess that 3/4ths of the audience watching this has never seen the original films.

Plus they do have a voiceover up front in Fury Road to setup the world, so its clearly meant to work for people who know nothing about the series.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet3 wrote:

I disagree. I would say it's so thoroughly different from the original films, both in terms of specific mythology and visuals, that there's pretty much no cross-over.

The brand MAD MAX is well-known (even by people that haven't seen the movies)... a car-based post-apocalyptic  wasteland. That's all you need to know. Branding probably accounts for 80% of box office these days.

No one saw John Wick, but had it been exactly the same movie under the James Bond or Mission Impossible 'brands', I'm sure the box office would have been 5X+ as much.

It's like opera - there are only about 20-30 operas in the core repertoire that are resurrected each season. It's lately been criticised as a dead artform, or at least 'ossified'. There are occasional attempts to write new operas, but most of these are financially unsuccessful.
Similarly, in movie tentpoles, there are only about 20-30 brands: Terminator, Aliens, Star Wars, Star Trek, DC, Marvel, James Bond, Mission Impossible, Transformers, etc which are mined each season. Most attempts to launch new 'brands' are unsuccessful, so it's easier just to appropriate an existing one, whatever your story.

I hear there are going to be several more Mad Max movies now that this one is successful. And if Blade Runner 2 resurrects that brand, there'll no doubt be more of those.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I think even without knowing anything about Mad Max, the movie works. So maybe it avoided exposition because it's a well-known franchise, but the result is the same: the movie works on its own.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I saw this the other night and yup, it was great. Apart from the name, I know absolutely nothing about the Mad Max series and I thought it played well to us newbies. I was expecting some more exposition, but I'm actually glad we didn't get that - just being thrown in to this world was absolutely refreshing.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

To be fair, it got away with avoiding exposition because it appropriated the existing Mad Max franchise, which is well known, so it had less world building to do.

I'm with Owen in that exactly everything I knew about this was "car battles in the post-apocalypse."

The brand MAD MAX is well-known (even by people that haven't seen the movies)... a car-based post-apocalyptic  wasteland. That's all you need to know.

If a car-based wasteland is all I needed to know, the opening sequence did that perfectly with a beat-up juiced-up car being chased across the desert by heavily-modified war-cars driven by explosive-toting maniacs painted white. It was more than enough to understand what was going on without having ever cared about previous films.

However, I agree that this movie probably did get a leg up from the majority of people liking the originals. But, while I don't care to watch Ex Machina, it seems to have done pretty well. So originality can happen.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I do have maybe like one or two gripes about the film:   I felt that even though it was called Mad Max, there was too little Max.  I guess the argument can be made that having an ensemble works better for the film, but idk, I just wanted to see Max have more of a character arc. 

Also,

SPOILER Show
Nux's flip didn't really make a lot of sense to me:  So wait, he feels he was denied entrance to Valhalla 3 times, which leaves him feeling dejected.  So some girl has sex with him therefore he decides to completely go against everything he believe since he was young??  The kind of cultish zeal he had would only lead him to desire to grovel back to Immortan Joe and see it he can't prove to him he's worthy of Valhalla. 

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Hastings wrote:

SPOILER Show
So some girl has sex with him therefore he decides to completely go against everything he believe since he was young?? 

In all seriousness: what about that isn't believable? That kinda drug runs the gamut from "sure i'll try being vegetarian" to "convert to islam? no probs, honeypea!"

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

So playing devils advocate for the filmmaker here. I think it's supposed to play into the whole thematic thing of love and mothers and all that. Since this would be the first time Nux has ever had anyone be like...nice... to him, let alone do that whole mothery thing.

The only thing that bugged me about it is how quickly the tone flips during that scene. We've had half an hour or whatever of insanely high action tension, and then within 5 seconds it flips the switch into a calm, let's talk, romantic sort of scene with them in the lookout. It was just more disorienting than anything. But I didn't and still don't have a problem with Nux's flip in any real sense.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

The character had nothing to live for. He happened not to kill himself. The girl is what happened next.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Agreed. But honestly did they have sex? If so I totally missed that. I thought it was just that she--instead of freaking out that he was there--recognized what he was going through because she went through the same thing, and was empathetic. He felt understood, and in their own, emotionally-stunted kind of way, felt a kinship that became love.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Yeah Writhyn thats how I read it. You think about it theyre both basically children at least emotionally but they kind of find something in each other to hold onto and it starts to become something more.

ZangrethorDigital.ca