Topic: Kung Fury

I guess this could go in the cool vids thread, but honestly I think it deserves its own topic. Check out this 30-minute short film Kung Fury. It's a brand-new '80s action/cop movie. Reminds me a lot of Tokes & Stokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

Last edited by Writhyn (2015-05-29 17:07:04)

Witness me!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Re: Kung Fury

This had me completely losing my mind laughing my ass off!  Why is it that the 80's generation (mine) are so obsessed with their childhood?

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It was the first generation with home video, but I don't know if that had any effect. It did allow us to never have to give up our childhood. By comparison, my Father saw the Mickey Mouse Club when it first aired, but never saw an episode after it went off the air.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I hate to be a downer on this kind of thing, because it's obvious a lot of heart and work went into it, but the whole "crazy 80s nostalgia" thing really really needs to stop. No actual 80s movie was like this, these are bad winking at the camera parodies that bear no resemblance to the actual thing, existing purely on a heightened nostalgia for something that never existed. I honestly think this type of ironic spoof cinema might be the worst thing to come out of this generation of youtube filmmakers. Way easier to wink at the camera at how clever you think you're being than to try to make something that can stand on its own as a piece of narrative. I'm half convinced the people making these things weren't even alive in the 80s, or their only reference point for that stuff is other spoof videos. It's insufferable.

Last edited by bullet3 (2015-05-29 19:07:44)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I really don't know what kind of movies you watched from the 80s, but a lot of this stuff is spot on.
Like really.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Don't mind him, he's a snob tongue

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Is being spot on really the point here? The 80s are the basis for this kind of aesthetics, just like it is for music like Perturbator's or games like Hotline: Miami, but in the end it creates something new, some sort of modern cheesy, kitsch genre. It pays tribute to the 80s without actually trying to recreate it. I think it's brilliant and hilarious, and people actually alive in the 80s shouldn't feel as if the younger generations were trying to appropriate it.

As to Kung Fury... I'm actually impressed. I didn't know they'd managed to gather such resources. The style makes post-production work easier, but there's a lot more CGI and animation than I expected. A lot of work went into polishing the look of it.

I tip my hat to the one-liners jokes. They got quite a few good chuckles out of me.

Last edited by Saniss (2015-05-30 17:29:24)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I enjoyed the hell out of it. Everything is so over-the-top, you appreciate it for what it is. The one-liners gave me a good chuckle, too. I think the only thing I didn't like was "Thor's amusement of his own pecks".

Apart from that, everything from the film itself, to Hoff's music video is just plain awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I'm glad it's bringing people joy, and I respect the work that went into it, but to me it typifies what I don't like about the internet and meme culture in general. We're drowning in irony and wink-wink bullshit, and I think it's an extremely lazy shortcut that lets creators off the hook from having to take the effort of making something good that can stand on its own. Community and Edgar Wright's films are 2 examples that do this sort of thing right, where the characters and worlds feel consistent within themselves and played straight, despite all the crazy references packed in and general madness.

And anyway, even in the context of dumb 80s retro-nostalgia, this was already beat to the punch by Hotline Miami and Far Cry Blood Dragon, both of which did this sort of thing better (sincere instead of pandering), and did it 2 years ago.

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

I'm with Bullet on this one. Too much "See what we did there?" meme ridiculousness in this. I had to stop when the Hackerman sent Kung Fury back in time using a Nintendo Power Glove.

Last edited by ShadowDuelist (2015-05-31 05:11:37)

"ShadowDuelist is a god."
        -Teague Chrystie

Thumbs up Thumbs down

bullet, shadow, you guys are no fun. From what I understand this is exactly what the 17,713 kickstarter backers signed up and paid for. Too much "See what we did there?" jokes is exactly the point. I think it's safe to say that you're simply not the target audience for this.

Tomahawk wrote:

Apart from that, everything from the film itself, to Hoff's music video is just plain awesome.

Hoff's version is pretty cool but for me this one takes the cake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khnL1ZjN-vk

Thumbs up Thumbs down

I agree with Lamer that Shadow and Bullet and I are not the target audience for this.

big_smile

FUCKING DIPLOMAT, YO

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

It was awesome and fun weirdos :P

Protection and power are overrated. I think you are very wise to choose happiness and love. -Uncle Iroh

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Lamer wrote:

Hoff's version is pretty cool but for me this one takes the cake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khnL1ZjN-vk

Okay, that was pretty damn good too!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The fight sequence from 18m:30s was the best part for me. Reminded me of Hot Shots 2 humour.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down