Topic: What are you excited about?

What is getting the lion's share of your enthusiasm lately? Could be an idea, or something you're learning, or an item of philosophy, or something you're working on, or whatever. Could be something that's two days old, or two minutes old, or life-long.

One caveat to this — post as many things as you want, as many times as you want, but none of them can be an item of pop culture.

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Re: What are you excited about?

I'm gearing up to film my girls' dance recital this weekend. 2 shows, ~10 cameras. If it's worth doing it's worth over-doing. Then the next few months will be editing and disc mastering. I may turn a profit on it this year, but we'll see; I made about $1.50 an hour last year.

(UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

D-21 before my jury. Before showing the world my graduation film. Before no longer being a student. Before taking some freakin' time off after spending pretty much my every waking moment working on a film for the past 9 months.

Yeah. I'm pretty excited about that.

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Literally, every day with my two boys gets me mad hyped.  We forget at that age how every single day is new ground gained in their understanding of the world.  There's so many things about my time with them that's awesome, but I'll share my favorite new thing.

I'm pretty conscious of the level of tech and media that surrounds my kids lives these days, so as much as I can I try to engage their imagination and have as much play as possible center around make believe.  Grayson and I play this game where we lie down on the ground or my bed, and Grayson will say, "Daddy!  Look out!  The biggest monster is coming!"  I then ask him questions on what it looks like.  How many teeth, what color hair, gender, number of elbows, etc.  The combinations alone are pretty hilarious (33 arms but 2 elbows is my favorite so far).  Then once he's described what it looks like, I look through my imaginary Monster Compendium and identify it, ("Oh, that appears to be Plonkirk, The Monster!")  Then, I describe how Grayson must defeat him.  Sometimes it's with jumping punches, and sometimes the monster is just sad and needs a high five or a hug.  I try to keep that part even.  We can, and have, played this game for hours.  And it's the god damned best.

Eddie Doty

Thumbs up +7 Thumbs down

I'm taking the first steps on the road to an MBA. I've hit the point in my career where in order to earn more and be more involved in strategy I need some qualifications behind me and a more robust understanding of all the working parts. hmm

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Getting back into seriously playing piano after two years of just noodling around with pop covers. Feels bloody wonderful, although that's mingled with my embarrassment at how rusty I am.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Kind of a small thing, but this weekend I get to hang out with a friend of mine. The road to friendship was a long one from younger me being a disrespectful self-absorbed asshole to current me learning to shut up and listen occasionally. My friend has been super patient but knowing that they actually enjoy spending time with me now is just really cool.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

HANNIBAL SEASON 3

I know there's a "no pop culture" rule but I'd be lying if I said this wasn't my #1 item of enthusiasm. I'll also be covering it weekly for one of the sites I write for. Never done something like that before. Does that count?

oh, and I'm interning at my local library this summer, which is super cool.

Last edited by Doctor Submarine (2015-06-05 18:55:08)

"The Doctor is Submarining through our brains." --Teague

Thumbs up Thumbs down

The final chapter of my latest book is being edited. I'm eager to see if readers love it or hate it. Either one will be interesting smile On Wednesday I'm taking my 11 year old niece to her first rock concert. We're seeing RUSH. I gave her a live album so she can "study", as she'd only heard one of their albums before, and apparently she's now super excited. Can't wait to see her do the first pump during 2112.

I write stories! With words!
http://www.asstr.org/~Invid_Fan/

Thumbs up Thumbs down

This may be teetering on the edge of pop culture, but screw it - I'm excited. If you've never heard of Secret Cinema before, they basically turn a film screening in to a sort of immersive theatre experience. I actually first heard about them on here, not entirely sure who it was that mentioned them. Here's a little glimpse of what they did last year for Back to the Future.

Anyways, this year they're doing The Empire Strikes Back and it looks to be their biggest production to date. You get assigned a character & class to be (not someone from the movies, I'm a Galactic Explorer called Sang Lendix) and are encouraged to dress up in some sort of costume, so I've had fun putting that together. I'll be heading down to London tomorrow and hope to have a blast.

Also, I'm excited about no longer being unemployed - wahey!

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

My YouTube channel. I released (at least) a video a day last month to help get some new subscribers (almost all gained in the last day thanks to you YouTuber I know), and though I've dialed back to a normal update rate I still enjoy creating stuff on a regular schedule, to the point where I want to update more days a week but know I can't keep up such an aggressive schedule currently.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

I've been aggressively exhausted for the past 3 weeks, and obsessively checking my email to see if any of my job applications have gotten back to me.

Does that count?

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Origami. About 3 years ago I did this really obsessively and I just kinda decided I wanna get back into it now. Dusted off the cobwebs, gonna spend a couple of weeks practicing, and then I think, this time, I'll try designing some models of my own.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Writing for my own science fiction universe.

A lot of the concepts and the outline of the whole book are coming together in weird, random ways, and I'm finally having the chance to write it down. It is exciting to take a lot of things that I have learned and put it all together.

Also, my eldest daughter just turned 6 and got her first bucket of Legos. Already excited to build things with her.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ahhh sci-fi world building. I have one that I created a few years ago, wrote a couple of stories in and created an RPG system in, haven't touched it in a bit though. Very fun to do.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

How have i never heard of Secret Cinema?? Holy mackerel!

I'm still deep into digitizing old family photos and filling out my family tree. Every box of old photos i get from my parents' cousins leads to a new understanding of the lives of people who lived more than a century ago. Some even wrote reminiscences of their childhoods as pioneers. Some were involved in nefarious activity or terrible accidents.

For me, this stuff is like crack: it's research, photography, documentation, puzzles, story-telling... Everything that gets my motor going intellectually. And it's given me reasons to spend time and have quality conversations with my aging parents as well as cousins i hadn't seen in many years (and some i'd never met).

Last edited by Zarban (2015-06-06 16:54:35)

Warning: I'm probably rewriting this post as you read it.

Zarban's House of Commentaries

I've got a few:

1. I just accepted my first full-time job offer! I start in September, developing mobile apps (iOS, Android) in Baltimore. I already do this as an intern, but now they have to pay me more money and give me benefits. Woohoo!

2. I'm currently working on a DIY 3-axis motorized camera slider (pan, tilt, slide) for motion time lapse projects. It'll be run with a Raspberry Pi and controlled with a custom iOS app via Bluetooth LE. It's a pretty hefty project for me, involving math, computer science, mechanics, and electronics. Needless to say, I'm learning a ton! I'll probably make a post about it in the 'Creations' section when I'm closer to being finished.

3. I'm headed out West this week with my Dad. Haven't been to CA since I was 7 and we're gonna hit as many places as we can. So, a day in Vegas, then we hit the road to San Fran, driving through Death Valley and Yosemite on the way. I'm gonna try to catch a session or two at AltConf on Friday morning, and we're seeing a Giants game that night. Then we'll drive down the coast to LA and look around, maybe meet up with some cousins in Irvine. It'll be a packed trip and I'm looking forward to it! If anyone has any suggestions for restaurants or cool stuff to do in LA, feel free to mention them!

Last edited by Sam F (2015-06-07 00:05:24)

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down

Sam F wrote:

2. I'm currently working on a DIY 3-axis motorized camera slider (pan, tilt, slide) for motion time lapse projects. It'll be run with a Raspberry Pi and controlled with a custom iOS app via Bluetooth LE. It's a pretty hefty project for me, involving math, computer science, mechanics, and electronics. Needless to say, I'm learning a ton! I'll probably make a post about it in the 'Creations' section when I'm closer to being finished.

Hah,awesome! I actually suggested this to Teague as a Pi project, I'd be really interested in seeing a work in progress and how you're doing it!

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Herc wrote:
Sam F wrote:

Hah,awesome! I actually suggested this to Teague as a Pi project, I'd be really interested in seeing a work in progress and how you're doing it!

Thanks! Once I'm finished I definitely want to do a full write-up of all the tech I've used and learned about, and how everything works together. So maybe I'll start a thread during the development process (which has been intermittent for the past 9 months) where I can post progress videos and stuff like that. Maybe I'll list updates on what I've done and what I still have to work out. That would be useful for me personally, so I can keep my head around what I'm doing; and maybe those who are more scientifically inclined could provide suggestions big_smile. I'm not taking summer classes so I'm trying to get it all done before the fall.

I don't have time to get that thread going right now, so I'll give you a look at what I was working on tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y9dSPg71Es

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Boter wrote:

Ahhh sci-fi world building. I have one that I created a few years ago, wrote a couple of stories in and created an RPG system in, haven't touched it in a bit though. Very fun to do.

It has been a lot of fun. It took me a while to get it past the rip off stage and really develop in to my own thing.

Now it is just a matter of putting it all down in writing.

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen Ward wrote:

Anyways, this year they're doing The Empire Strikes Back and it looks to be their biggest production to date. You get assigned a character & class to be (not someone from the movies, I'm a Galactic Explorer called Sang Lendix) and are encouraged to dress up in some sort of costume, so I've had fun putting that together. I'll be heading down to London tomorrow and hope to have a blast.

Hey, how was it? I'm going in July.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up Thumbs down

redxavier wrote:

Hey, how was it? I'm going in July.

I'm gonna do a good little write-up on it later on, but the long and short of it is that it was a lot of fun. You get what you put in to it though, if you go round getting involved with all the character interactions and everything, you'll have a much better experience. A highlight for me was acting as an interpreter between my friend and a Jawa, it was awesome.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Got a couple of code projects nearing fruition that I've been working on for a long time. Looking forward to getting it done and putting it online so I can move on to something else.

Ran in a 10k race last weekend which was much more fun than I thought it would be (apart from getting up at 6am on Sunday). Looking at maybe doing a half-marathon in October.

Also, just got a new electric guitar and Rocksmith for the first time yesterday.  Got the first minute or so of Bat Country down on 100% difficulty. Actually a pretty fun way to practice guitar.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

fireproof78 wrote:
Boter wrote:

It has been a lot of fun. It took me a while to get it past the rip off stage and really develop in to my own thing.

Now it is just a matter of putting it all down in writing.

You're supposed to get past the ripoff stage?

(I did a lot of ripping off but from many varied sources so things still took on a bit of a life of their own.)

Herc wrote:
Sam F wrote:

I've been digging into Arduino lately. You might be interested to learn of this component.

(There's also this.)

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up Thumbs down