Topic: UK Heatwave

Hope everyone in the UK is surviving in the heat!

I know that the humidity is pretty bad at least in Leeds, it's been affecting my asthma quite badly and making me feel dizzy at times, I admit.

For those that don't know, the UK is currently going through a heatwave of average temperatures being about 30C (89F I believe is the correct conversion?)

I know that doesn't sound like much for some but it is important to remember that most places in the UK don't have air con (even with cars) and our buildings are designed to trap in heat, even with windows open. Plus the UK is typically a cooler climate but when it gets hot, we have thick humidity. It kinda sucks in that regard.

The UK temperature wise is quite capable at dealing with anything from 0 - 18C. Any sign of frost or heat and we panic.

Re: UK Heatwave

Hang in there, mates. The good news for us in France is that the air is pretty dry. The bad news is: it's reaching 40°C (>100F).

Western Europe is experiencing a particular situation called "omega block" in which a ridge (elongated high-pressure region) is in place over it, and is strong enough so the low pressure coming from the west cannot go around it. In the mean time, it brings warm air from the south. The omega is particularly easy to spot on the water vapor map:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIxmC0AWsAAkXMm.png

Fortunately, storms are progressively allowed to come back (over the UK as well). They should help gobble up all this heat.

Last edited by Saniss (2015-07-01 11:42:22)

Sébastien Fraud
Instagram |Facebook

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Ugh. What fresh hell is this?!

Sam, hire a mini bus pick up me, owen, avatar and red and drive to norway and get Tom to make some room in his ice cellar.

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

Ugh. I know how it feels, guys. Hot and humid. Just cause that happens to me more often doesn't mean I'm used to it. I hate it.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

....interesting.  Here in New England, we just had the coldest June I can ever remember.

Bloggy:  Inf0verload

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Whereabouts in New England are you? I'm near Stratford, CT, and I agree this summer this year is so, so, so wonderful. The last two years were awful.

Witness me!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Teague Chrystie

I have a tendency to fix your typos.

Thumbs up +2 Thumbs down

Teague, that's a nice song and all but couldn't you post an air conditioner instead?

*flops*

Extended Edition - 146 - The Rise Of Skywalker
VFX Reel | Twitter | IMDB | Blog

There you go, Faldor! smile

Last edited by Writhyn (2015-07-01 17:20:36)

Witness me!

Thumbs up +3 Thumbs down

Pretty much all of last week we were hovering around 30C. I think we peaked at 35 or something one day. It's cooled off a bit this week, but it's been like misting constantly and still hovering around 20C. Hot and muggy and bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhgghhh. Go away weather.

ZangrethorDigital.ca

Hottest day of the fucking year and the train decides to put the heating on.

Wtf is your problem Northern Rail?!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Christmas in July!

God loves you!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Owen Ward wrote:

Hottest day of the fucking year and the train decides to put the heating on.

Wtf is your problem Northern Rail?!

Seriously?! The Manchester to Leeds line is typically boiling due to all the passengers as it is D:

I saw a whole bunch of trains got cancelled or delayed today in fear that the tracks might buckle.

Last summer, Montreal was consistently fucking gorgeous. Bright, dry, no clouds.

This summer, it has been pissing it down every other day. This is more bipolar than even London's (undeserved) reputation.

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

I'm in MY capital region. Crazy mild summer so far (not counting that weird week in May that felt like mid-August). Climate change swings that pendulum both ways, I'm lucky to be on the cold and wet side for now.

Good luck with the heat, guys! I recommend a desk fan and a bucket of ice.

Boter, formerly of TF.N as Boter and DarthArjuna. I like making movies and playing games, in one order or another.

31C in the office today. Fun smile

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Saniss wrote:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CIxmC0AWsAAkXMm.png

Wouldn't mind if it would nudge a few hundred miles north, to be honest. I hate these temperatures. Right now it's 10*C and raining. And that's pretty much summer so far. Last year we had temperatures up to 30C and I. Fucking. Love it!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

28C with zero wind on the walk to and from work today. UUUUGGGGGHHH. So over this.

Last edited by BigDamnArtist (2015-07-03 00:39:22)

ZangrethorDigital.ca

You kids are so cute with your "heatwave".

Last edited by Dave (2015-07-03 00:40:55)

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave you live in a place designed to kill humans so you don't get to complain.

Thumbs up Thumbs down

1. I don't live in space, although it would be neat.
2. Gentle teasing is different to complaining.
3. Holy shit, moderators?!

Thumbs up Thumbs down

Dave wrote:

1. I don't live in space, although it would be neat.

Neither do jumping spiders. Which makes space better than Australia tongue

Dave wrote:

3. Holy shit, moderators?!

Be nice wink

Thumbs up Thumbs down

You take that back about jumping spiders, they are adorable and awesome!

Disclaimer: if you dislike the tone of a post I make, re-read it in a North/East London accent until it sounds sufficiently playful smile

Dave wrote:

You kids are so cute with your "heatwave".

Well, having lived in both countries, Australians are the wusses because they all have air conditioning. Poms have to endure the real 35 degrees without any protection, like real men.

not long to go now...

Thumbs up Thumbs down

And in the midst of this heatwave, I'm going to Secret Cinema's Empire Strikes Back showing tonight!

Do you think X-wing pilots wear shorts?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. - Carl Sagan

Thumbs up +1 Thumbs down